Newt

Welcome

First of thanks to Trif for setting up and hosting this sub-forum :)

This forum so I can preview The Chronicles of Erun, both the setting and the rules - which are a rewrite from the ground up of the OpenQuest rules.  

The Chronicles of Erun comes from the idea that while I still love the D100 rulesets and I know the rules shine over a series of long series of games, the idea of going back to running long-form D100 campaign week in week out, taking years to complete, is both impractical given my current situation (job/Dad) and unappealing.  So the idea is to design something that is much more pick up and play, with a framework to deliver a flexible but focused campaign, that only takes at most a dozen game sessions to play out (and allows for breaks), yet is still recognisably D100.

Erun, is a primordial land of mist and rains, tormented by a recent war against an inhuman enemy and a past of fractured mythologies. The character’s start at the bottom of Erun’s hierarchical society and through heroic (and not so heroic deeds) move up through society to become movers and shakers. This happens in three clearly defined acts, provisionally entitled “Back from the War”, “Wardens of Parliament” and”Lords & Ladies”. I'm also toying with an Act Zero, "The Battle of Grimvale" which is part of a "create your character as you game", which sees the bare bones characters thrown into one of the most dramatic battles of the war against the Inhumans. 

All art will be by British Artist, Jonny Grey.

This is the cover 

erun-front-test.jpg

• Like 2

I've been looking forward to this campaign setting since I first saw the announcement on the d101 webpage - knowing that it will feature a re-worked d100 system makes me even more giddy for it (I still feel that that "perfect for me d100 system" has yet to come ...). Bring it on!

• Like 2

Intriguing. I like the idea of having a d100 variant for pick-up games. And it can serve as a gateway for new players!

A couple of questions:

• Given that the revamped system will be optimized for short campaigns, how will you handle character advancement? Will this be faster than in a typical d100 game?
  • You've indicated that you are simplifying the skill system. Do you plan to do the same for characteristics and derived attributes?
  • What is the timeline for this product? Will we expect this around the middle of 2018 or further out? Will you crowdsource the book?
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jakob said:

(I still feel that that "perfect for me d100 system" has yet to come ...)

As a life-long gooner I have to say it's the hope that kills you isn't it? I'm feeling optimistic about this one though. Jonny's art work is superb as well which won't hurt.

Edited by Al.
  • Like 1

Answers to Prime Evil's questions:

"Given that the revamped system will be optimized for short campaigns, how will you handle character advancement? Will this be faster than in a typical d100 game?"

Probably using Improvement Points, that are handed out for completing mission goals and advancing personal motives like in OpenQuest. This is pretty quick in itself, but I'm also going to play with the idea that you can advance characters during a game session, during breaks in the action or as part of the game as training.  Also, there's an even smaller pool of skills and powers than OpenQuest, which are all ranked as skills. Also once you get past 50% (which represents basic competency)  you start getting special abilities for the skills. So, for example, Combat skills start getting special manoeuvres. So as you' advance your skills you get the double advantage of getting new abilities. 

"You've indicated that you are simplifying the skill system. Do you plan to do the same for characteristics and derived attributes?"

Yes. No Siz - if a creature gains extra hit points or damage from being large/huge/gargantuan that's a special ability. Movement is going to be abstract theatre of the mind, so I'm dropping that too. Damage bonus is still there, but its attached to the fighting skill. So attributes become a straightforward list of scores to keep track of damage/use: Hit Points (=Con), Magic Points (=Pow) and Confidence Points (=Cha, for social conflict).

"What is the timeline for this product? Will we expect this around the middle of 2018 or further out? Will you crowdsource the book?"

I'm aiming for early Q2, to coincide with UK Expo. Yes, there will be a Kickstarter. Despite having a large amount of the art already done, the book will need maps and a few extra pieces to finish off. Also to give it a bit of exposure :) 

• Like 2

In terms of the system this sounds really good - is this an evolution of your OpenQuest light project from some time ago? Doing away with Size is a good step for a any system that doesn't need a detailed combat/hp schematic to accomodate many creature types (Delta Green did it too, and for the better, I'd say); and tying special abilities to skill scores also fits with BRP's general focus on skills.

I'm really looking forward to this (also to the setting and the illustrations, but we've known that this would be coming for a long time, so for the moment, I#m a little more exicted about the new take on d100 rules).

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, Jakob said:

In terms of the system this sounds really good - is this an evolution of your OpenQuest light project from some time ago?

Pretty much, but I've dropped all the Black Hack inspired stuff, such as only player making rolls and the way of determining initiative, and made it purer D100, with the rules fitting within that logic (initiative is worked out based on the order of the skill you are using, with situational modifiers - I'll expand on this when I present the Skill Use/Combat system). 

• Like 1