Middle-earth Basic Roleplaying preview

Fergo113

Sounds great. I'll start picking away at a Foes volume this weekend. I tend to work quickly on these things once I get a bee in my bonnet, so perhaps I'll have something to circulate in a couple of weeks.

All the versions of the character generator that I could find are written for some version of a windows OS. Do you know if a Mac compatible one exists?

Sounds great. I'll start picking away at a Foes volume this weekend. I tend to work quickly on these things once I get a bee in my bonnet, so perhaps I'll have something to circulate in a couple of weeks.

All the versions of the character generator that I could find are written for some version of a windows OS. Do you know if a Mac compatible one exists?

Thanks Lars, that would be excellent. :thumb:

As for a Mac version of the BRP generator, sadly I don't know of any other version sorry. There is a thread in this forum for BRP generators that I started some time back regarding letting people know about the BRP generator mention above. There may be a Mac answer burried in there somewhere.

Cheers,

Fergo113

• 2 weeks later...

Well after many months of hardship and toil, the Creatures chapter of the ME-BRP project is finally finished :party:

I finished the errata on the weekend and put the final touches on it. As we speak it is winding its way through the either to Trifletraxor to be placed into the Downloads/Middle-earth section of this site (I can't upload a file of this size onto the site).

It’s in pdf format and stands at over 150 pages and around 47meg. :eek:

It does have a lot of pictures in it, but you can see from the previews I have posted already what the format looks like. I apologise if you don't like photos but keep in mind that this is really a private project for my rpg group, but I am happy to share it with any who are interested in having a copy.

The next chapter on the program for me is to do the Free Peoples Chapter. This is basically the background for the player character races. I've done some of it already, based on my rpg groups characters being played right now. You can get an idea of what this will look like by checking out the Orcs section in the Creatures Chapter. I don't have a time line on this chapter as yet, but given that the creatures chapter has blown out by months more than I expected it to be, it will be anyone’s guess as to when I can finish this next chapter (but I hope no more than three months should see it completed).

If you’re wondering why the Creatures chapter is Chapter 10, it all relates back to the original order in which I started to compile my notes for this project.

Hopefully the chapter will be in the Downloads section soon for those of you who want a copy.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Fergo113

Fergio, since the creatures download is not yet in the downloads section,

may I ask for your stats for the Losrandir and the Aurochs, since these

could be similar to the stats I am trying to define for my setting for the

Vikunja and the Yak, and therefore could give me something to compare

my stat ideas with ?

Thank you ! :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Fergio, since the creatures download is not yet in the downloads section,

may I ask for your stats for the Losrandir and the Aurochs, since these

could be similar to the stats I am trying to define for my setting for the

Vikunja and the Yak, and therefore could give me something to compare

my stat ideas with ?

Thank you ! :)

No prob Rust, here you go: :thumb:

Aurochs:

STR 3D6+24 34-35 MOVE: 12

CON 3D6 10-11 HIT PTS: 16-17

SIZ 3D6+24 34-35 Damage Bonus

INT 4 4 +3D6

POW 3D6 10-11 Tres Fact: N/A

DEX 2D6 7

Hit Location Armour/HP

Right Hind Leg 01-02 3/5

Left Hind Leg 03-04 3/5

Hindquarters 05-07 3/7

Forequarters 08-10 3/7

Right Fore Leg 11-13 3/5

Leg Fore Leg 14-16 3/5

Head 17-20 3/6

NOTE: Aurochs have natural 3pt hides.

Weapon Strike Rank Percentage Damage

Butt@ 8 50% 2D10+db crsh

Trample@ 8 50% 6D6 crushing

@ An Auroch cannot butt and trample in the same

combat round.

Skills: Listen 50%, Sense 50%, Spot 60%

Losrandir:

STR 2D6+6 13-14 MOVE: 12

CON 3D6 10-11 HIT PTS: 13-14

SIZ 3D6+6 17 Damage Bonus

INT 4 4 +1D4

POW 3D6 10-11 Tres Fact: N/A

DEX 3D6+6 7

Right Hind Leg 01-02 1/4

Left Hind Leg 03-04 1/4

Hindquarters 05-07 1/6

Forequarters 08-10 1/6

Right Fore Leg 11-13 1/4

Leg Fore Leg 14-16 1/4

Head 17-20 1/5

NOTE: deer have natural 1pt hides.

Weapon Strike Rank Percentage Damage

Butt 7 35% 2D6+db crush

Skills: Hide (in Woods and Forest) 80%, Listen

75%, Sense 80%, Spot 85%, Stealth 55%.

Cheers,

Fergo113

Thank you very much ! :)

Aurochs and Losrandir are a good inspiration, and it seems I will have to

modify my draft of the stats for Vikunja and Yak somewhat to make the

differences between these two animals more obvious.

(Charlie Chan)

Cool, stats for aurochs, which it so happens I've put into an adventure I've been working on. I hadn't gotten around to figuring out exact stats, but I was going to base them on the cattle stats from the Hawkmoon Gamemaster book.

I can't remember what I used as inspiration for them. I think I had a look at a bunch of stats for cattle floating around invarious BRP based games and then threw together what seemed most fitting.

Anyway, when the chapter gets posted it has stats for Lynx, sabertooth cats, mammoths and a few other critters that would be transportable to different game worlds (eg spiders for any fantasy setting). Hopefully Trifletraxor will get around to posting it this weekend.

Whow, this download is simply... :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I knew from the previews that it would be excellent, but I am nevertheless

almost speechless. :shocked:

Great Work, really, many of the creatures contain most useful ideas even for

my Science Fiction setting, and I am almost tempted to start a Fantasy cam-

paign. :D

(Charlie Chan)

BRP Central - Downloads - Middle-Earth

The Middle Earth Creatures Chapter is now available from the download section.

Great work Fergo113! :thumb:

:beetle:

Thanks Trifletraxor for taking care of loading it. Thanks heaps for the positive feedback also guy's.

I'm getting into transcribing the races/cultures of the Free Peoples (Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits and the Mannish cultures). I'll start posting some previews of the races when they get close to being finished. But you can get an idea of what this new chapter will look like by having a look at the Orcs section of the Creatures chapter. There are notes there for running Orc PC's in the game.

Keep you posted about how this new chapter is going. :thumb:

Cheers,

Fergo113

Well, I tried to be smart and reduce the file size with adobe acrobat professional. Turns out it only prints half of the the background image then, so the original file of about 47 Mb has now been uploaded. For those of you who have downloaded it and plans to print it, please download it again. Sorry for the trouble. :o

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Well, I tried to be smart and reduce the file size with adobe acrobat professional. Turns out it only prints half of the the background image then, so the original file of about 47 Mb has now been uploaded. For those of you who have downloaded it and plans to print it, please download it again. Sorry for the trouble. :o

I was wondering why it was about 17 meg smaller than my version :D

Thanks for fixing that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back from a weeks leave and thought I should post an update on Chpater 9 of my Middle-earth BRP project.

Chapter 9 focuses on the Free Peoples of Middle-earth. As such this is where the majority of player characters will hale from. It gives the background for the player character races and guidelines for GM's and players about creating characters for that race. It complements the player character development process in the BRP rulebook.

The first race to be previewed is that of the Dwarves. You can find it in:

Downloads > Systems & Settings > Middle-Earth

Hope you enjoy :thumb:

Cheers,

Fergo113

Please change the body text to a serif font!!! Please please please!!! :D

Sorry about that.

Its in Arial font for the main text and Celtic font for the headings. I could do a version in serif if people want it, but its a BIG file and I have to get Trifletraxor to load it up for me. So its not an easy process to load a second version in another font.

Alternatively I might be able to send you a serif font version via FilePlanet if you can private message me an appropriate email to send it to you.

:confused:

Fergo113

Edited by Fergo113

Sorry about that.

Its in Arial font for the main text and Celtic font for the headings. I could do a version in serif if people want it, but its a BIG file and I have to get Trifletraxor to load it up for me. So its not an easy process to load a second version in another font.

Alternatively I might be able to send you a serif font version via FilePlanet if you can private message me an appropriate email to send it to you.

:confused:

Fergo113

No no no... not needed. More a suggestion for the final product or future product, no need to upload another version.

For some reason, serif fonts don't fatigue the reader as much as sans.

SDLeary

• 1 month later...

I have been more than a little slack in keeping up the transcription of my ME-BRP project. Christmas Holidays and New Year celebrations will do that I guess. :o

So I have just uploaded the latest preview for the Free Peoples chapter of ME-BRP. This one gives an insight into the Elves of Middle-earth focusing on the Noldor Elves.

Cheers,

Fergo113

I have been more than a little slack in keeping up the transcription of my ME-BRP project. Christmas Holidays and New Year celebrations will do that I guess. :o

So I have just uploaded the latest preview for the Free Peoples chapter of ME-BRP. This one gives an insight into the Elves of Middle-earth focusing on the Noldor Elves.

Cheers,

Fergo113

An excellent addition! Thank much!!

SDLeary

Your welcome :thumb:

I'm working on the Sindar, Silven and Half-elves right now. Then I have the Mannish and Hobbit races to do. I'll post and example of the Mannish races and Hobbit race before this chapter is finished. But I am currently not getting as much time as I would like to transcribe my notes up, so it will be at least another month before this chapter nears completion.

The whole magic system is currently in a flux right now but basically you will have a set of magical specialities that are a characters magic skills, like in the new BRP magic system.

As for the spells themselves, I really like Deciphers LoTR spell lists and have been toying with manipulating them over to BRP.

Fergo113

Hi, I think the work you're doing should produce a really playable ME version of BRP. But I too have the most interest in the magic system and how well it reflects the feel of ME, while still being an appealing rp'ing experience.

I haven't seen Decipher, although the reviews I read led me to think it wasn't a good match as far as the magic system went. And although I own boxes of ICE products, the system was just too clunky for me.

So, I'm very grateful for your efforts, and will await your magic notes. Got to pick up the new BRP book anyway, and I'll check out their magic system.

PS: I was a big fan of RQ2's feel and its magic, but not really a match for ME.