Status update?

styopa

Just wondering about timelines.  My understanding originally was that the new RQ was going to be:

- hard copy available December

- later, not sure if it was official or inferred, was that the PDF would be available by November

There's not much of November left, without a whisper as far as I can tell about release eta - whether that whisper is a confirmation of the original dates, or a postponement. 

In fact, there hasn't been really much of anything official in the blog since Aug 13, and that was hardly substantive ("here's what we'll have at the gen con both").

Any updates you can share?  Thanks!

• Like 2

Over on rpgnet, Jason Durrell wrote:

The RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha core book is text complete. The art is done, and some final maps are in the pipeline. The character sheet is done (and quite lovely). A cover is done. We're doing some refinement of the layout template and some of the look-and-feel of the book and the line overall.

The RuneQuest Gamemaster's Pack is being finalized, and comes after the core book as many tables/charts/maps will be repeated there (for convenience). It is in editing and will shortly go into proofreading. Some additional art and maps are being requested, and the back of the screen is in development.

The Glorantha Bestiary is being edited/proofed, and art is coming in at a rapid pace, as well as maps. It should go into proofreading before too long.

Layout on the core book will commence once the layout on The Glorantha Sourcebook (done as part of the 13th Age Glorantha Kickstarter, but systemless and using the trade dress for the RuneQuest line) is complete.

The Gamemaster Pack will follow, then the Bestiary.

Given the timetables involved and production pipeline, we're optimistic about having all three in print Q2 2018 (along with a few other things we've teased or announced), and expect Gen Con 2018 to be a huge RQ showing. I don't have any more specific dates because so many factors are beyond my ability to control.

• Like 2

I certainly hope we're going to see lots of adventure content ala Borderlands for the new RQ, but that schedule doesn't mention anything in 2018.  I'm working my butt off creating enough content for my groups in Balazar, Dragon Pass, Prax, etc over here!  

Edited by Beornvig
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beornvig said:

I certainly hope we're going to see lots of adventure content ala Borderlands for the new RQ, but that schedule doesn't mention anything in 2018.  I'm working my butt off creating enough content for my groups in Balazar, Dragon Pass, Prax, etc over here!  

Jason did say, "we're optimistic about having all three in print Q2 2018 (along with a few other things we've teased or announced)", and given that adventurers were mooted as part of their cunning plan, I would hope that this is what he is alluding to. 

39 minutes ago, Beornvig said:

I certainly hope we're going to see lots of adventure content 

Me too. I can't wait to play and i'm hoping there's some adventure content right off the bat so we can jump right in and start playing in new adventures/scenarios. Then, consistent release of even more scenario content.

3 hours ago, jongjom said:

Over on rpgnet, Jason Durrell wrote:

The RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha core book is text complete. The art is done, and some final maps are in the pipeline. The character sheet is done (and quite lovely). A cover is done. We're doing some refinement of the layout template and some of the look-and-feel of the book and the line overall.

The RuneQuest Gamemaster's Pack is being finalized, and comes after the core book as many tables/charts/maps will be repeated there (for convenience). It is in editing and will shortly go into proofreading. Some additional art and maps are being requested, and the back of the screen is in development.

The Glorantha Bestiary is being edited/proofed, and art is coming in at a rapid pace, as well as maps. It should go into proofreading before too long.

Layout on the core book will commence once the layout on The Glorantha Sourcebook (done as part of the 13th Age Glorantha Kickstarter, but systemless and using the trade dress for the RuneQuest line) is complete.

The Gamemaster Pack will follow, then the Bestiary.

Given the timetables involved and production pipeline, we're optimistic about having all three in print Q2 2018 (along with a few other things we've teased or announced), and expect Gen Con 2018 to be a huge RQ showing. I don't have any more specific dates because so many factors are beyond my ability to control.

Thanks!

Link?  When was that posted?  From what I understand the rules were text complete in August, and it was going to layout/art at that time.

Not to carp, but updating on actual Chaosium channels - the blog, abChaos, etc - might be a good idea instead of buried in a general RPG forum?

So to deconstruct that, and assuming that post was recent, "hope to have all in print Q218" sounds like there's a degree of optimism.  Further, "...Layout on the core book will commence once the layout on The Glorantha Sourcebook is complete..." is not great; the fact that this layout is waiting for TGS to be done means compounded delays.  11/20 13thAge update shows chapter 5 layout...not that they're necessarily doing it sequentially, but that's not a lot.

Crunching that to actual numbers, and recognizing that NOTHING moves as fast as expected, I'm going to hope that this means realistically:

- core book late 2Q18; HOPEFULLY in time for Gen Con 2018.

- GM book very late 2Q18, or (more likely) early 3Q; maybe "draft" versions at GenCon.  (Would suck if they missed that)

- Bestiary imo October 2018 maybe.

To the point of adventure content, I'd agree that all along Rick, Jeff, Jason have been clear that strategically they wanted to launch with LOTS of actual game fodder - correcting a major strategic mistake of the AH years.  I'd be reasonably confident too that when they release what they release, it's going to come with playground space as well.

I'll be honest, while nobody is likely surprised at the delays, it's disappointing.  I probably conveyed the earlier Dec 2017 target far too confidently on free RPG day to interested customers.

Edited by styopa

I've got to say it's a little concerning that the top Google result for Runequest Glorantha is a Chaosium blog post from April 7th of this year.

I could certainly be wrong, but it doesn't seem like people are talking about this game anywhere other than here. I'm going to buy it, people on this forum are going to buy it, but for those people who don't already know about it... how are they being brought into the fold? 

10 hours ago, kaydet said:

..., but for those people who don't already know about it... how are they being brought into the fold? 

Until the game is out, there is no RQG fold to bring people into. Make a fuss about it now and we’ll just bow away any momentum between now and Q2 2018. We need to keep the flame burning, but keep our main store of powder dry.

There is the RQ Classic line, Glorantha Classics and that’s it for right now. Soon there will be 13th Age Glorantha though and hopefully then things will begin to kick off again for Gloranthan gaming.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh
  • Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

That’s something we’ve been discussing a while ago, and the concern was that by going back to use a system from the 70s you might be missing on new players/buyers. 

RQ is a great game, but with an environment which could be perceived as playing under LSD those days; a few things didn’t age that well, and it was the opportunity to do a complete overhaul with this version. It seems more like a reedition than a new version to be honest, from what we can read, but we will see I guess when a proper draft will be released... but don’t expect this product to bring new gamers...

• Like 1

A few thoughts on the Gen Con RQ:G after being lucky enough to see it:

• It does pretty much what Jeff says in his Blogs (e.g. RQ2 compatibility; gives the game's name meaning; you see how Pendragon came to be [damn you even more Avalon Hill!] etc.).
  • It's a relief that its target print date is circa Q2 2018: the game is sound but typo correction / cleaning had to be done, and from all accounts the art / maps will be worth the wait.
  • It gives them the necessary creative time to produce a book of quality (witness the Guide to Glorantha).
  • The delayed start date hopefully means there will be quality supplements lined up to follow hard on the heels of the Core Book.
  • It feels more RuneQuest than RQ2 and at the same time it's definitely separated from the 80's. That's quite a feat to say the very least. 

Now off to build a time machine and teach a few life facts to Greg in Jan 1983 along with a copy of the GtG and RQ:G (and buy some 53c Apple shares, Forrest Gump style). 

Edited by jongjom
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MOB said:

Jason's RPGNet post is up as a new RuneQuest design note (along with a wonderful piece of RQG art, by Andrey Fetisov):

https://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-20/

Amazing piece of art indeed. The level of details is enormous.`The background scenes alone might serve as illustrations.

Are those two ladies in the front Vasana and Yanioth?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

9 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I would say yes, along with Harmast haggling with another Issaries merchant.  It should be Vasana's bison with the load of goods upon it.

There are three bisons packed with bundles, and the front one with a soft basket, but I don't see any riding saddle. I would say we are seeing pack beasts here.

I like the contrast between the look of concern displayed by Yanioth and the bored disinterest by Vasana.

9 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Pavis?

From the look and feel, I would say no. The city gate in the back doesn't look like New Pavis to me, and the houses all are multi-storied. That probably rules out cities of Sartar as well, if you compare Sartar Companion p.18.

So probably Esrolia, or possibly one of the larger cities of Heortland.

7 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The buildings don't look decorated or colorful enough for Esrolia.  I suppose Tarsh could be a possibility.

I would have expected ostentatious Lunar decorations around the gate in Tarsh, or at least some damaged remnants thereof. I regard Lunar architecture as propaganda set in stone.

The lack of mountain silhouettes sort of precludes Arkat's Hold, a city where I would expect a more sombre style of decorations, although an approach from the northeast might work.

Karse might be a possibility, with its mix of different influences (Esvulari, Heortling, Esrolian, Pelaskite) preventing any ostentatious religious ornamentation of the gate. The look would have to be to the south or southwest to avoid the cliffs showing.

The city has seen better times, at least the building on the extreme right with plaster fallen off from the burnt brick wall.

Basically: big kudos to Andrey and the art direction that we can play "Where exactly in Glorantha" with this piece.

6 hours ago, simonh said:

Until the game is out, there is no RQG fold to bring people into. Make a fuss about it now and we’ll just bow away any momentum between now and Q2 2018. We need to keep the flame burning, but keep our main store of powder dry.

There is the RQ Classic line, Glorantha Classics and that’s it for right now. Soon there will be 13th Age Glorantha though and hopefully then things will begin to kick off again for Gloranthan gaming.

Simon Hibbs

Until the post 11/22 above, most of us thought it was "just about to come out".  That's probably not the best approach to the cadre of die-hards that are going to help move the ball forward.

Then again, maybe they'd rather not have the cadre of die-hards tainting the water of a new release as much as we flatter ourselves they do...do they really want the new game's forums stirred up with bitter ontological debates about Jar-Eel's navel?

3 hours ago, MOB said:

Jason's RPGNet post is up as a new RuneQuest design note (along with a wonderful piece of RQG art, by Andrey Fetisov):

https://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-20/

THANK YOU.

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

I would say yes, along with Harmast haggling with another Issaries merchant.  It should be Vasana's bison with the load of goods upon it.

Pavis?

I'd have said that might be Jeff Richard arguing with the merchant. :o

I'm going to say Swenstown; sun angle would suggest we're facing east-ish, so probably not Wilimskirk or Whitewall (I guess we'd see mountains?).  The dusty, dingy conditions as well as multiple Bison caravans suggest to me someplace closer to Prax; Hendrikiland and points west likely would be well-enough roaded to make wagons a far more efficient mode of shipping.  City wall and multi-story stone buildings says it's not a smaller city.  IIRC Jonstown 

GloranthaMap_Color_poster.jpg

6 hours ago, simonh said:

Simon Hibbs

I don't really think there is a flame to keep burning, as I certainly don't see people taking about this game online except to comment on the silly name debate or to dig into the kerfuffle  between Chaosium and The Design Mechanism.

40 minutes ago, styopa said:

I'm going to say Swenstown; sun angle would suggest we're facing east-ish, so probably not Wilimskirk or Whitewall

Except that the Swenstown map in SKoH p.240 doesn't have any nice set of multi-story buildings leading to a gate.  Neither does Wilmskirk.  

The north gate of Jonstown shown on SKoH p.238 is a better choice.  And from the descriptions in SC, at least some of the inns there are 3 stories.

If Pavis, it would have to be of the Old Gate, but there's no angled street there that also provides a wall view.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Karse might be a possibility, with its mix of different influences (Esvulari, Heortling, Esrolian, Pelaskite) preventing any ostentatious religious ornamentation of the gate. The look would have to be to the south or southwest to avoid the cliffs showing.

Yes, or perhaps Jansholm?

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The lack of mountain silhouettes sort of precludes Arkat's Hold, a city where I would expect a more sombre style of decorations, although an approach from the northeast might work.

Alda-Chur is another possibility.  It's large, urban, but has likely seen better days.

6 hours ago, Joerg said:

Basically: big kudos to Andrey and the art direction that we can play "Where exactly in Glorantha" with this piece.

This Andrey piece, which is in the 13th Age Glorantha book, might be a bit easier to place...:D

screen-shot-2017-11-10-at-1.11.37-pm.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 5

On 25/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, kaydet said:

I don't really think there is a flame to keep burning, as I certainly don't see people taking about this game online except to comment on the silly name debate or to dig into the kerfuffle  between Chaosium and The Design Mechanism.

Glorantha was mentioned in 29 threads in November on RPGNet forums. Runequest was mentioned in 41. It’s has nowhere near the mindshare it once had, but there’s still a lot of goodwill and potential interest out there. I’ve been spending my a bit of time there in the last few weeks and they come up all over the place when good systems, game mechanics and settings are being discussed.

Simon Hibbs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!