Status update?

styopa

9 hours ago, simonh said:

Glorantha was mentioned in 29 threads in November on RPGNet forums. Runequest was mentioned in 41. It’s has nowhere near the mindshare it once had, but there’s still a lot of goodwill and potential interest out there. I’ve been spending my a bit of time there in the last few weeks and they come up all over the place when good systems, game mechanics and settings are being discussed.

Simon Hibbs

It'll be easier when we actually have something to reference, you have to admit.

10 hours ago, simonh said:

Glorantha was mentioned in 29 threads in November on RPGNet forums. Runequest was mentioned in 41. It’s has nowhere near the mindshare it once had, but there’s still a lot of goodwill and potential interest out there. I’ve been spending my a bit of time there in the last few weeks and they come up all over the place when good systems, game mechanics and settings are being discussed.

Simon Hibbs

Sure.

Who's talking about the new game? Who's excited about RuneQuest: Glorantha? For a game that was supposed to be coming out at the end of this year, there's not much talk. The only reviewers of the Quickstart that I saw were people who are already Glorantha devotees.

Look, I'm not trying to be a prophet of doom, and I'm sure RQG will sell just fine, but let's not walk down the primrose path.

The city background is Swenstown. Here's the direction I gave Andrey about the background:
Swenstown is a caravan town on the border between the forested hills and mountains of Dragon Pass and the arid chaparral country of Prax. It is a place where the settled people of the hill country can trade with the nomadic tribes of Prax (the Animal riders - Bison, High Llama, Impala, and Sable Antelope riders).

I imagine it is a dirty, colorful, exotic place, like the ancient or Arab markets (such as these depicted by Orientalist artists): 

Remember, it is Bronze Age - no minarets! And Swenstown is a small place - a fortified town that is primarily important because of the caravans that pass through it.
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

Remember, it is Bronze Age - no minarets! And Swenstown is a small place - a fortified town that is primarily important because of the caravans that pass through it.

Minarets? All I see are EWF era magical defence and lookout towers, built to spot Nomad raids out on the open plains, that have been rebuilt by the Lunars.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh
  • Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, simonh said:

Minarets? All I see are EWF era magical defence and lookout towers, built to spot Nomad raids out on the open plains, that have been rebuilt by the Lunars.

EWF era buildings in Sartarite cities? That's a bit like expecting classical Roman architecture in Venice or Amsterdam.

The EWF wouldn't have built much aerial defense against big flyers. They had a problem with traditionalist Orlanthi flyers, not with huge flying entities (or even wyverns or giant hawks).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

The city background is Swenstown. Here's the direction I gave Andrey about the background:
Swenstown is a caravan town on the border between the forested hills and mountains of Dragon Pass and the arid chaparral country of Prax. It is a place where the settled people of the hill country can trade with the nomadic tribes of Prax (the Animal riders - Bison, High Llama, Impala, and Sable Antelope riders).

I imagine it is a dirty, colorful, exotic place, like the ancient or Arab markets (such as these depicted by Orientalist artists): 

Like pretty much all the art direction for new pieces in the Guide, I think that's more or less spot-on.

You didn't acknowledge that he's got your sideburns, though? :)

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

EWF era buildings in Sartarite cities? That's a bit like expecting classical Roman architecture in Venice or Amsterdam.

Or Trier, certainly? 

the-black-gate-in-trier.jpg

Heerlen (reconstruction), Netherlands:

1200px-2015-Heerlen,_Thermenmuseum,_reco

Villa Rijkswijk-De Bult (reconstruction) NL http://www.livius.org/articles/place/rijswijk-de-bult/

:):) 

48 minutes ago, styopa said:

Or Trier, certainly? 

I guess you're purposefully missing my point - both Venice and Amsterdam were founded after the demise of the empire, in places where there were no extant remnants of that empire. I doubt that the location of Swenstown was used for a major center in the Imperial Age while Ulaninstead was strong and the center of Orgovalland.

Trier was one of four capitals of the Roman Empire, and has a continuous history as a city since the Roman empire (unlike e.g. London which was abandoned as a city during the early Anglo-Saxon period). My initial comparison "like finding authentic Greek architecture in Washington DC", but Swenstown does sit on the edge of the former EWF core region, even if there was no strong EWF presence there and then.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

The EWF wouldn't have built much aerial defense against big flyers. They had a problem with traditionalist Orlanthi flyers, not with huge flying entities (or even wyverns or giant hawks).

Aerial defense towers were a thing after the Dragonkill War though...

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

The look certainly fits the location (as well as the traditions of Sartar the builder).  The Swenstown layout (as in SKoH) definitely needs some updating to reflect this, but I'd definitely draw on this to reflect the city.

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

I’m loving this art direction. It’s great to see so much thought put into getting the feeling right. 

• 4 weeks later...

Issue No.4 of my zine 'The Hanging Garden' has a nice description of Swenstown with lots of NPCs, http://2ndage.blogspot.com/p/the-hanging-garden.html

It is also available in the Downloads section here (

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Manu said:

As I plan to start a RQG campaign beginning of March 2018, is there any chance that the PDF version of the rules will be available soon?

I honestly don't think they can give an accurate answer.  Too many variables; remember, they're a small house, and RL issues with single individuals can have a HUGE impact; it's not like they have "several people in that department" to pick up the slack...

49 minutes ago, Manu said:

Otherwise, I'll postpone.

It would probably take only a few hours to take the RQ2 base rules, go through the new RQG quickstart, the design-blog notes, etc, and get a close approximation.  IIRC, someone has thrown together a decent character sheet...

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2017 at 6:23 PM, g33k said:

It would probably take only a few hours to take the RQ2 base rules, go through the new RQG quickstart, the design-blog notes, etc, and get a close approximation.  IIRC, someone has thrown together a decent character sheet...

You can create the characters per the usual RQ2 rules with the following modifications:

• no Defence skill (replaced with Dodge, which starts at DEX×2)
  • starting characters are already initiates; allow 3 points of Battle Magic
  • raise two skills to 80%
  • raise four skills to 60%
  • add three passions at 60%
  • add one Elemental Rune at 60%, one at 40%, one at 20%
  • add 3 rune points and use the Rune Magic rules per the QuickStart rules

Voilà.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1