What was your favourite version of RQ to date and why?

Jon Hunter

On 12/3/2017 at 1:00 AM, soltakss said:

Revolution d100 has 15 core skills and uses Traits to expand on them.

That is the way to go, in my opinion. 

Yes I tend to agree with this, RD100's take on skills is excellent. Easy to read at a glance, with drop-down bonuses for Specialties ('Traits'), so nothing is actually lost. This is a great feature of RD100, and I may end up making RD100 my 'go-to' BRP game yet, it'll certainly be a contender.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 02/12/2017 at 9:39 PM, Psullie said:

While I'm not advocating lengthy skills lists, the one draw back from the stat+stat approach or over reliance on core attributes is that everyone has some some skill, even in areas they should have no experience. For me characters only get the attribute bonus if they drop a few improvement points into the skill - you may have an aptitude but without some exposure you're skill would be zero. 

Also what is not evident form the quick start are the Skill Category modifiers, but we can assume that they are similar if not the same as RQ2

Well, that's not far from the way Professional Skills work in RQ6/Mythras.

I counted opinions:

Classic RQ (RQ2): 4           - one of which admits he has not played anything else, so I consider that vote suspect.

RQ3:                        8

RQ6/Mythras:        6

Openquest:             1

D100 Revolution:   2

Home-brew mix:    2

Several people stated they were waiting for RQ Glorantha, but we won't know whether it's any good until we've played it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about a poll, at this point?

BTW, I still think that OpenQuest and Revolution D100 should not be valid options, as they never wore a RQ badge (Mythras did). The question was "which version of RQ" not "which version of BRP". Otherwise you should count also Stormbringer and Magic World, which have a lot of fans here.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

2 hours ago, pachristian said:

Classic RQ (RQ2): 4           - one of which admits he has not played anything else, so I consider that vote suspect.

I assume you're talking about me.  Not playing a game and not understanding it are two different things.  I've run two dozen different game systems, and have had RQ3 for around 15 years now.  I'm fully capable of making an informed decision on which game I prefer, thank you very much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

I assume you're talking about me.  Not playing a game and not understanding it are two different things.  I've run two dozen different game systems, and have had RQ3 for around 15 years now.  I'm fully capable of making an informed decision on which game I prefer, thank you very much.

No, I'm pretty sure he meant me, I explicitly said RQ2 is the only version I've played or even owned. No need for getting mad here.

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 1

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I sometimes do, without trying...

I will stand by my belief that you do not really know how a game works until you've played it. The RQ3 sorcery system is an excellent example of that; until you've played it, with all the challenges of building up a sorcerer in that system, you don't really appreciate out intricate it is, or how well it complements the spirit magic and divine magic systems. 

I have Fire and Sword, and Openquest, but as I've never played either, I can't really offer a solid opinion on them. 

• Thanks 1

RQ6/Mythras holds a special place in my heart, if only because it was the first version of RQ I was introduced to. The ruleset might be extremely frontloaded in what you need to know to start playing, but once you've got it down pat the game flows in a very satisfactory manner. I like how flexible the system is, how it can be applied to all sorts of different settings and game types (I've played games set in Westeros, in Glorantha, in space, in Ravenloft - RQ6/Mythras handled them all swimmingly) and the combat system feels dynamic and meaningful.

6 hours ago, pachristian said:

I counted opinions:

RQ3:                        8

RQ6/Mythras:        6

Openquest:             1

D100 Revolution:   2

Home-brew mix:    2

Several people stated they were waiting for RQ Glorantha, but we won't know whether it's any good until we've played it!

interring that this straw poll suggests RQ3 & RQ6 are the leading favourites, yet RQG is going to be a RQ2 & Pendragon mix...

By the way my personal favourite RQ system is Pendragon because it perfectly on target for playing Arthurian myth, but it probably doesn't count ;) 

4 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

BTW, I still think that OpenQuest and Revolution D100 should not be valid options, as they never wore a RQ badge (Mythras did). The question was "which version of RQ" not "which version of BRP". Otherwise you should count also Stormbringer and Magic World, which have a lot of fans here.

There is a certain amount of accuracy in this; but on the other hand it also splits hairs rather finely:  some grognards still think of "BRP" as simply "RQ lite" (and the BGB as "RQ toolkit").  :D

Also worth noting is that RD100, as a very-new one, simply hasn't had enough time/exposure to garner a lot of votes ...

But I think it might be worth asking the general question of a favorite "core" chassis for BRP/d100/RQ/CoC/etc gaming...

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 minutes ago, Psullie said:

interring that this straw poll suggests RQ3 & RQ6 are the leading favourites, yet RQG is going to be a RQ2 & Pendragon mix...

Also you have to realize that the people who are active on this forum probably make up less that 1% of the total population who plays Runequest, which is somewhat worrisome as this is one of the only places that Chaosium has advertised it in.

14 minutes ago, Psullie said:

But there's 206,819 good reasons for thinking RQ2 is a good choice!   And RQ3 is itself much like RQ2, so anything based on RQ2 has perforce a strong likeness to RQ3.

Last but not least, there are several notable places where RQG elects to take the RQ3 approach over the RQ2 way; it might be more accurate to say "RQ2 except where RQ3 was clearly better."    :ph34r:

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, pachristian said:

Well, I have run the Quickstart, and based on that experience alone, I now put RQG at the top of my list as favorite RQ version. :-)

And, yes, I used RQ2, migrated to RQ3 and ran the latter for 10 years, so well versed in both.

4 hours ago, pachristian said:

The RQ3 sorcery system is an excellent example of that; until you've played it, with all the challenges of building up a sorcerer in that system, you don't really appreciate out intricate it is, or how well it complements the spirit magic and divine magic systems.

I did (and it did have some interesting concepts), and it was a pain (and one of my players was very into playing Carmanian sorcerers and we spent a lot of time working through it).

Edited by jajagappa

5 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

... this is one of the only places that Chaosium has advertised it in.

Well here... plus the worldwide drop of the QS on Free RPG day ... multiple G+ communities ... ongoing convention presences ... upcoming Cult of Chaos support for on-the-ground / FLGS action ... active pushes into VTT and into character-builder software ... various blogs/podcasts/etc ... erm ...

Yeah.  Here in the pre-existing community, we're ALREADY clamoring for the product, for early info about the product, etc.  Putting out extra "advertising" in traditional ad channels would be premature, piqueing interest only to see it peaking before rellease, to a less-enthusiastic uptake when it finally DOES ship...

C'es ne pas un .sig

I’ve been running a playtest version of Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha at conventions since early summer, and if you liked playing the Quickstart, then its difficult to see how you won’t enjoy the released version of the game. A second quickstart will be produced to reflect feedback from the original quickstart with some rule changes. So even if you haven’t had a game under the full pre-release rules- and quite a few people have a copy and are running games, you have a good preview to assess the upcoming edition.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, g33k said:

Well here... plus the worldwide drop of the QS on Free RPG day ... multiple G+ communities ... ongoing convention presences ... upcoming Cult of Chaos support for on-the-ground / FLGS action ... active pushes into VTT and into character-builder software ... various blogs/podcasts/etc ... erm ...

Yeah.  Here in the pre-existing community, we're ALREADY clamoring for the product, for early info about the product, etc.  Putting out extra "advertising" in traditional ad channels would be premature, piqueing interest only to see it peaking before rellease, to a less-enthusiastic uptake when it finally DOES ship...

Mentioning it occasionally in abChaos wouldn't be a bad idea.  IMO that's currently pretty much just a "play CoC or buy Khan of Khans" vehicle now.

2 hours ago, styopa said:

Mentioning it occasionally in abChaos wouldn't be a bad idea.  IMO that's currently pretty much just a "play CoC or buy Khan of Khans" vehicle now.

I too see majority-CoC presence in abChaos; I'd like to see more RQ, for sure!  But fwiw there is at least a mention of RQ in most of the ab Chaos newsletters since at least mid-2017 (I just searched my mailbox).

Also, amusingly, I recall a CoC-fan bemoaning all the RQ and lack of CoC in ab Chaos.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig