Chogokin

History Question about Characteristics

5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Except in KAP Culture IS where you are from. There are no Cymri in Russia. 

Except in Britain, where you can have Romans and Celts, Romans and Saxons, Saxons and Celts, in the same region (Logres has all three), at least with the Advanced Character Generation rules in 4e. In 5e this is dialed back, but with the Book of Knights and Ladies peeks through again, though mainly in the form of faith.

SDLeary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chogokin said:

What, you mean the Caltrops of Doom? I love those dice, and look for any possible excuse to use them in games!

Yes, but...

do you dip your d4's into curare before casting them across the table...?  :P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mechashef said:

And yes I presume you were not really serious.

<shrug>

Once you step away from the RAW in an effort to "shape" your rolls, I'm willing to use most any of the traditional dice.  So it was as serious IMHO as any other non-RAW suggestion.    :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Except in Britain, where you can have Romans and Celts, Romans and Saxons, Saxons and Celts, in the same region (Logres has all three), at least with the Advanced Character Generation rules in 4e. In 5e this is dialed back, but with the Book of Knights and Ladies peeks through again, though mainly in the form of faith.

SDLeary

Yes that is still in there, but it mostly reflects the times. In the last century or so Britian was invaded by the Saxons, and pretty much abandoned by Rome (or at least what's left of it). So you got a mix of clashing cultures. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 10:27 PM, g33k said:

Yes, but...

do you dip your d4's into curare before casting them across the table...?  :P

Hard to get good curare around these parts... habanero sauce makes an acceptable substitute, albeit with different results...

I've used most of the variations listed: 3d6, 4d6 drop lowest, 5d6 drop two lowest, 2d6+6, etc.  Add in rerolling 1s.  Add in upgrading lowest stat to 18 if no 18 is rolled.  Allow players to transfer X points (3-5) among stats (actually, usually do this if a player wants to run class X but has one short stat in AD&D).  Start players with base 9 and give them 6 points per stat to make up characters with max 18.  Yada, yada, yada.  They all work.

Main thing I do across the board, no matter what, is allow the players to roll two sets of stats, choose one and arrange them as they see fit.  Yes, this gets you some power gamer mentality (even among role playing types...unless they are so "pure" that you don't even need to roll stats for them, heck, forget the dice), but not so much.  Everyone should have the top two stats in Dex and Int because they are the core of the category bonuses.

On the size thing, SIZ 3 is definitely possible, but a LOT rarer than 1 in 216.  Normal dwarfism is about a 1 in 25,000 births thing with an average height just over 4 ft for males.  Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) is just over the average at 4' 5" (~135cm) which makes him SIZ 6.  Records of adult dwarfs go as low as SIZ 3, but it takes two dwarf parents and if the child inherits the mutated gene from both it almost always dies, so extremely rare given the low number of dwarfs born.   The "pygmy" tribes would be about SIZ 7 (under 5' or ~150cm) for males.

OTOH, I haven't seen a player yet who worried too much about the SIZ being too high, impacting physical skills negatively since they prefer extra hit points and a bigger damage bonus.

About old Stormbringer 1ed, we used to have a lot of fun with that one and it never really seemed too unbalanced in RP terms.  Yeah, some guys got good rolls and I don't think anyone actually rolled a beggar from Nadsokor.... or else they got a reroll on it.  As has been pointed out, after a bit doing some skill rolls, everything starts pretty much evening out for most characters.

• Like 1