What was your favourite version of RuneQuest to date

David Scott

What was your favourite version of RuneQuest to date  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favourite version of RuneQuest to date. Please note that this only includes publications called RuneQuest.

• Chaosium first edition (1978). Also includes the Classic edition reprint.
    • Chaosium second edition (1980), including licensed and foreign editions. Also includes the Classic edition reprint.
    • Avalon Hill (1983) including licensed and foreign editions.
    • Mongoose first edition (2006)
    • Mongoose second edition (2010)
    • The Design Mechanism (2012)
    • Chaosium Quickstart (2017)

What was your favourite version of RuneQuest to date. Please note that this only includes publications called RuneQuest.

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

Is there a reason the poll Is now closed?

I set the poll to end on 01/06/2018 to give time for RQG to appear then we can have a compare and contrast poll later next year. When I pressed the publish button, it set it to a few days later. I only noticed when it closed and it's not possible to reset it. Perhaps the interval I set was too long?

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

8 minutes ago, David Scott said:

I set the poll to end on 01/06/2018 to give time for RQG to appear then we can have a compare and contrast poll later next year. When I pressed the publish button, it set it to a few days later. I only noticed when it closed and it's not possible to reset it. Perhaps the interval I set was too long?

No idea how it got closed, but there is a toggle to "lock/unlock" available to site moderators. I have reopened the poll (and then I voted!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MOB said:

No idea how it got closed, but there is a toggle to "lock/unlock" available to site moderators. I have reopened the poll (and then I voted!) 

hurrah

-----

Voted. 

Will be interesting to compare a year down the track after RQG's publication

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

The survey's about what I thought it would be, proportionally.  I rather suspect that there are at least some RQ6/Mythras devotees that haven't found their way here or seen this, as RQ6 really *did* resurrect the moribund franchise quite handily and has some very enthusiastic fans (hell, some might say overenthusiastic as their tendentiousness prevents them even coming here).

Sorry, but the RQG votes are IMO just cheerleading.  We don't HAVE a real "game" to consider, just a stunted one-off cobbled quickly together from what, alpha 0.5 edition rules?  I'd agree that it's promising but the same guarded optimism that I have for RQG is simultaneously a brake on seriously reviewing it as a product.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, styopa said:

The survey's about what I thought it would be, proportionally.  I rather suspect that there are at least some RQ6/Mythras devotees that haven't found their way here or seen this, as RQ6 really *did* resurrect the moribund franchise quite handily and has some very enthusiastic fans (hell, some might say overenthusiastic as their tendentiousness prevents them even coming here).

I am here :-) and I have voted. Just very busy with work and a Project for my campaign...

2 hours ago, Dr. Mabuse said:

Our game is a spaghetti bowl of RQ2, RQ3 and odd house rules. The core is the RQ3 rulebook so my vote goes to Avalon Hill - but we never visit Glorantha without Cults of Prax from RQ2.

Yeah this is pretty much similar to what I have been doing with RuneQuest. I started way back with RQ2 and moved on somewhat from there. My most recent game in Glorantha was a year or so ago, and by now the dust has settled with me running the BRP BGB as the core rules, with lots of bits imported from RQ2, RQ3, and RQ6. 

Seems to work quite well.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

10 hours ago, Dr. Mabuse said:

Our game is a spaghetti bowl of RQ2, RQ3 and odd house rules.

The core is the RQ3 rulebook so my vote goes to Avalon Hill

- but we never visit Glorantha without Cults of Prax from RQ2.

Does anyone play any version of RQ without their own House Rules?

I wonder how many people are already planning on House Ruling RQG even before it is released.

8 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

Does anyone play any version of RQ without their own House Rules?

I wonder how many people are already planning on House Ruling RQG even before it is released.

Does it count as a House Rule when you Vary Your Glorantha?  Because I've never met a Vegetarian Morokanth... and I never will.   :angry:

And the old chesnut of "attack-and-parry vis-a-vis 1h vs 2h weapon" will be HR'ed in the event the rules don't make it clear.   :P   If I find the RAW clear then I'll give it a chance as-written, but I *expect* that the advantage will be too large if 1h weapons don't get that parry...

I expect to preserve my old RQ2 HR of "get an extra tick-check for a fumble or a crit."

I may offer my players the option of straight +5% or +2d4% if a skill-check gives them a skill-bump.  If they like the 2d4 option, I may give options for using other dice choices (that do not bell to 5); such as +3d4 when rolling for a crit (but then I dislike tracking different "kinds" of ticks; so maybe not).

Hrm.  I'm sure there are others.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

37 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

No one, and I mean no one, runs a game without house rules.  There are bound to be situations neither covered nor predicted by the RAW.

Unless, of course, you play ASL and have a library to put it in.

Well I actually ran RQ2 RAW for like two or three years. My players weren't that adventurous and a lot of the time we just hand waved something or other because we didn't want to find/create rules for it.

I can't really answer this. If we were going to put them in some sort of best to worst order I could maybe address it.

My best experiences playing were with RQ2. But that's in the golden haze of nostalgia, playing with my dad and brother (and later, sister) as a kid. Part of the reason it was a hit, however, perhaps most of the reason, was Glorantha. The percentage based skills were also easy and approachable for a kid who had played AD&D but still didn't "get" all of that game's rules.

We switched to RQ3/AH when that came out, which kinda helped for certain things but caused other stuff to get needlessly complex. Sorcery didn't make sense to me until I was an adult, for instance.

I've also played Renaissance and mined it for stuff when running CoC in my Elizabethan game. It's easy, not too much work, and handles a few things better than RQ2 or 3 - belief and character generation in particular.

Still, the pleasant notion of a real, supported foray into the wilderness of Genertela is pretty appealing. In my experience, RQ works really well for the sort of low fantastic stories that we can see in the Griselda tales and Penelope Love's stories, including the humorous fumbles, and that's a great game on its own. So long as we aren't superheroes, it works well. When I want to run a game for my kid, we play HeroQuest, though, because it tends to reward her creativity better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

Unless, of course, you play ASL and have a library to put it in.

Plenty of people play with house rules in ASL.  I try and avoid them, as you want the game to be consistent from player to player, but people are people.

Not sure what you mean about the "library" bit though.  My "Glorantha" collection (including various versions of RPGs as well as various 3rd-party books, etc.) takes up way more shelf-space than my ASL collection, and there are many Glorantha books that I don't own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I want to decide who lives and who dies."

Bruce Probst

Melbourne, Australia

On 17/12/2017 at 2:23 PM, styopa said:

cobbled quickly together from what, alpha 0.5 edition rules? 

At the release point, it was nearly complete mechanics wise and certainly not an alpha edition. Personally I'd say a few points from the mechanics being finished. The rest was still a WIP, but the rules were completely playable.

-----

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

At the release point, it was nearly complete mechanics wise and certainly not an alpha edition. Personally I'd say a few points from the mechanics being finished. The rest was still a WIP, but the rules were completely playable.

In the classical programming universe, "alpha" means some stuff works, some stuff doesn't, and we're still adding features.  "Beta" means features are complete, but not wholly functional.  An "alpha" version can certainly be playable as long as you stay away from the bits under-construction or not-yet-added.  I'd still say the January Draft was likely an alpha- with features still being added. 

I think my point wasn't that it was unplayable, but the (pretty lengthy) threads in which there were substantial clarifications to the RQG rules as presented showed that it was definitely still "under construction".  And parts weren't even present: Sorcery, for example, wasn't even kludged into the quickstart.

I'll say it: I'm not sure why they shot their bolt like that? 

First, it's HARD ENOUGH to boil 128 pp of rules (or whatever) to a 32 page packet; having semi-baked mechanics just makes the 'summary' version a weaker product and less impressive.

Second, I'd think (I'm not in the RPG business) the whole point of a free RPG day thing would be to gin up buzz about your game ahead of Gen Con and that year's Christmas season.  You get people playing/talking about it, you get reviewers talking about it, you get FLGS interested...and then "BAM" you drop the for-sale version out to fulfill the public interest.  In the game I ran I had a lot of interest from the players and quite a few spectators enjoying it (it seemed).  There was a palpable drop in interest when I'd said (what we thought at the time) it would be out by Christmas.  What I didn't realize then is that we were talking Christmas 2018...next free RPG day, if anything is offered, is it going to be an ACTUAL distillation of the final rules? (ie another different version, at least slightly)?  And unless there's tangible copies sitting on the shelves for sale, the question is going to be: will it really be for sale this year?

Third, I believe everyone would agree that we already have enough brand-confusion in the "RUNEQUEST" space.  Now we're added a half-step of another sort-of rule set* that has to be offered with the caveat that "note that it's not necessarily precisely the same as what you're going to get when RQG finally comes out".

*still not clearly available as a free PDF until you get a few clicks into the site, BTW.  Odd.  Are they deliberately trying to get people to pay for a print copy of incomplete beta rules instead of download it?

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, Mechashef said:

I was comfortable with the RQG Quickstart, and know there's various things being updated, so I'm not planning on doing so.

(I don't recall adding any specific house rules when I ran RQ3 either.)