Miskatonic Repository - a new way for Call of Cthulhu creators to write and share

MOB

• MOB featured this topic

We're getting close to launch—just a few final things to get in place. The Miskatonic Repository will commence with six Chaosium Art packs, full of art you are free to use in your creations, and five new and original Call of Cthulhu scenarios by community creators: the first of many!

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/call-of-cthulhu-will-soon-let-fans-sell-their-own-creations-for-the

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trevlix said:

Looking forward to this! Will they only be available in PDF, or will hard copy be an option?

That is up to the creators. They set the price (which could be free or "pay what you want") and the format. 

Edited by MOB

The Miskatonic Repository is live!

Access it on DriveThruRPG here: http://bit.ly/miskrep

We're helping kick things off with five original Call of Cthulhu scenarios by community creators. And more are sure to quickly follow!

misk-r-opening-scenarios.png?t=151324056

The five initial contributions are:

• TERROR ITSELF - a 1920s Call of Cthulhu scenario, by David Naylor & James Coquillat
  • PLAGUE - a modern-day scenario for Call of Cthulhu, by Noah Lloyd & Matt Ryan
  • TALES OF THE MONOLITH, Part I (The Scales of Time) and Part II (Trail of the Monolith) - each part an installment of a two-fisted 1920s Call of Cthulhu scenario, by Mike Nagel
  • ISLE OF MADNESS - a Pulp Cthulhu scenario set in the 1930s, by Ed Possing.

And more from other community contributors are sure to quickly follow!

More details here: https://www.chaosium.com/blog/the-miskatonic-repository-is-live

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Both things are available. They have been since the launch.

Here are the direct links to the Miskatonic Repository content guidelines on DTRPG's Support site:

Miskatonic Repository Content Guidelines

Additional MR Guidelines (writing guide, technical tips, use of art)

General Guidelines for DTRPG's community content & FAQ 

Edited by MOB

I have seen the guidelines, what I have not been able to find is the indesign templates and art, if you know of a location, a little help as to where would be found would be greatly appreciated. 

When I inquired I was told the following:

On Dec 18, 2017, at 7:43 PM, Neil Robinson wrote:

No, 

Not fully working yet. OneBookShelf has a bit more to do. 

Neil

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Joel Lovell 

I was also looking for the InDesign templates - are they online yet? 

Regards,

Joel

6 minutes ago, MoNeart said:

I have seen the guidelines, what I have not been able to find is the indesign templates and art, if you know of a location, a little help as to where would be found would be greatly appreciated. 

The Miskatonic Repository Indesign Template and Word Template are both available as free downloads at the Miskatonic Repository on DTRPG. As are the Art Packs.

Edited by MOB

I am proud to present, after entirely too long (my fault!), the launch of my first officially licensed Call of Cthulhu product: Jasper St. Jones Got the Pretties Bones: A Shortcut of Supernaturalism. Want a scenario but don't have the time or energy for a full thirty-to-sixty page writeup? Need a standalone scenario, a jumping off point for a new campaign, or an adventure to fit into your current campaign? Just looking for inspiration? The Shortcuts of Supernaturalism have you covered! An entire scenario in less than 3,000 words, complete with stats, and all at an affordable price!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To help in your Call of Cthulhu creations for the Miskatonic Repository we've put together six special Art Packs - zip files of images which you are licensed to use for FREE.

screen-shot-2018-01-03-at-5.48.57-pm.png

Here's some of Simon Bray's fantastic work from the Mythos Monster Silhouettes Art Pack:

silhouteets-for-misk-r.png?t=1514963661

misk-repository-sils.png?t=1514964205

Edited by MOB

On 1/3/2018 at 12:48 AM, MOB said:

Hmmmm.... am I the only RQ player who sees something... Thanatari-ish... in that guy on the far right?

Possibly some distinctly-scary Elven / Thanatar figure.  The forest itself captures and hold you, for the priest to come collect your head...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I notice that several of the first wave of Misk. Rep. submissions are set in Arkham ("classic" or modern) and that has inspired me to make the following offering:

Are you thinking of submitting a scenario to Chaosium’s Miskatonic Repository program?

Is it set in Lovecraft Country?

I would like to offer my assistance as an expert on Chaosium’s Lovecraft Country setting to anyone who is working on a submission to the Miskatonic Repository program.  As the editor of the Arkham Gazette I think I know Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, Innsmouth (and more) as well as anyone and I’d like to put that specialized knowledge to the use of the wider Call of Cthulhu community.

What I offer:

• Extensive knowledge of established setting materials (and scenarios).  Why invent a pharmacy for Arkham when there’s already Bryant’s Apothecary (A-441A) and a Walgreens (701)?  (Yes, I do have a an index of all the numbered locations and I’m happy to share.)  I’ll also give you a heads-up if you’re covering similar ground to a previous scenario.  I can also point you towards scenarios that might be of interest.
  • Familiarity with the fictional sources that inspired Keith Herber and Kevin Ross (and others) in their development of Lovecraft Country.  I can point you towards the story where, for example, the Larkin Institute (A-902 by the way) was mentioned, or in which story Lovecraft described the Old Wooded Graveyard (A-405).
  • Expertise in New England folklore in history and suggestions on how to tie your scenario into those source of Lovecraft’s inspiration.  While I don’t know every detail of New England history, I can at least direct you to a good source or two for you if you need to know more about, say, mining or the Massachusetts State Police.
  • Very general feedback.  I’m happy to give my general impression but I won’t edit your scenario (see below).

What I’m not offering:

• Proofreading.
  • Detailed scenario feedback.
  • Editing work.

What I ask:

• A copy of the PDF when the scenario or project is released.
  • A thanks to ‘Sentinel Hill Press’ in the credits.

If you're interested, PM me here or send an email to arkhamgazettemagazine@gmail.com

• Like 3

We've been featuring the six special Art Packs for the Miskatonic Repository, Chaosium's new community content program for creators to publish and distribute their own original Call of Cthulhu material.

The last is the Ill Omens Art Pack. Marco Monte's 46 images each offer an inspiration for all manner of odd, calamitous, or dire situations for players to find themselves in.

You are welcome to use these - and the images from our other six Art Packs - for FREE in your Miskatonic Repository creations.

screen-shot-2018-01-06-at-12.47.10-pm.pn unfortunate-events-1.png?t=1515204652 unfortunate-events-2.png?t=1515204705

Edited by MOB

• 2 years later...