Sign in to follow this  
Conrad

Height and weight for PCs

Why are you still using Legend when a more detailed system is around? Mythras is an updated version of Legend, and has a good height and weight table on page 9. It differentiates body types into lithe, medium, and heavy.   

heightweight RQ.JPG

• Like 1

The problem with SIZ charts is that they don't normally take different body shaped into consideration. Although the Mythras charts has different weight ranges, it has a single height range.That is fine if you assume that SIZ=Height and that weight depends on other factors.

Dwarves have low height and high weight, so you could model this with height based on SIZ and weight using Heavy, but I am not sure how well this works.

One of the old BRP games (Stormbringer or Ringworld maybe) had different values for body build, probably similar to the Mythras chart.

• Like 1

I think it's a little odd in Mythras that Size is a function of height, but only for PCs. So I redefined it in my game to be a universal measure of mass.

Size
A character's Size rating is a function of his body mass. At character creation the player may choose his character's Size rating, and being either larger or smaller has different benefits and hindrances. A human character's Strength rating cannot exceed his Size rating by more than 3 points.

Size, Strength and Feats of Agility - A character's Size can affect his ability to perform feats of athleticism (such as climbing, jumping and running) and acrobatics (like gymnastics and tumbling). For every 3 points a character's Size exceeds his Strength, the difficulty of skill tests requiring bodily agility made one grade harder. If the character's Strength is greater than his Size, such difficulties are one grade easier.

Size.....Weight
1.........up to 10 lbs
2.........11 - 20 lbs
3.........21 - 30 lbs
4.........31 - 40 lbs
5.........41 - 50 lbs
6.........51 - 65 lbs
7.........66 - 80 lbs
8.........81 - 95 lbs
9.........96 - 110 lbs
10.......111 - 125 lbs
11.......126 - 140 lbs
12.......142 - 155 lbs
13.......156 - 170 lbs
14.......171 - 190 lbs
15.......191 - 210 lbs
16.......211 - 240 lbs
17.......241 - 270 lbs
18.......271 - 300 lbs
19.......301 - 340 lbs
20.......341 - 380 lbs
21.......381 - 420 lbs
22.......421 - 460 lbs
23.......461 - 500 lbs
24.......501 - 550 lbs
25.......551 - 600 lbs

5 hours ago, Mjollnir said:

I think it's a little odd in Mythras that Size is a function of height, but only for PCs. So I redefined it in my game to be a universal measure of mass

It’s not only for PCs, but the height chart is for humanoids. The note is in the back with the creature weight chart.

I suspect that they left out height because comparing the height of a giant octopus to a giant snake to a giant crab to a giant preying mantis might not get you a consistent system. What is the height unit you are using on the octopus? Do you include the tentacles? The snake lies flat and isn’t very tall, but is very long. The crab and the mantis both have similar body types, but the mantis stands up on his hind legs more, though not as erect as a humanoid.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:47 AM, soltakss said:

The problem with SIZ charts is that they don't normally take different body shaped into consideration. Although the Mythras charts has different weight ranges, it has a single height range.That is fine if you assume that SIZ=Height and that weight depends on other factors.

Dwarves have low height and high weight, so you could model this with height based on SIZ and weight using Heavy, but I am not sure how well this works.

One of the old BRP games (Stormbringer or Ringworld maybe) had different values for body build, probably similar to the Mythras chart.

It was Stormbringer; very similar to the ones in Mythras. Ringworld had modifications at character creation to various stats based upon homeworld gravity.

SDLeary