Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sean_RDP

Generic D100 Adventures

Recommended Posts

So other systems (no names!) work well for generic adventures you can plop into any setting. And over the years there have been plenty of generic adventures. I am writing some small adventures for the DM's Guild and will be putting out a free add on with d100 stats (as generic as possible or using my own Q21 version, likely the latter). So I got to thinking is there an audience for generic d100 fantasy and sf adventures? Things that are small, can be run in 2 hours or so,  a game in a night.  I can see a few upsides of course, but the downsides as I see them:

  1. Quality - I personally write pretty quick and for myself, think I could put out quality. But doing them small and fast could definitely erode quality
  2. Legality - On firm ground with being setting neutral, but how generic does one have to be to avoid issues? As I mention, the most likely idea would be to use my own Quest21 with the appropriate OGL documentation. However, that leads to...
  3. Conversion - People would have to do some conversion to their favorite d100 system. If you are paying $2 for an electronic product, then is a conversion a big deal? I mean most of us convert adventures anyway. 
  4. Style - I know for myself, generally, I am in a different mindset when designing or playing a d100 game versus a D&D style game. I do not necessarily do a dungeon thing, which many of these adventures are. Additionally, there is the deadliness factor.

So I am curious what others think?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of chirping crickets, eh?  Sadly, that may be the most-informative answer you'll get...  :( 

I'll give you my two bits.  They are probably worth about what you're paying for them...

Personally, I am not usually willing to spend much on something I need to convert.  I  _buy_  adventures/modules for the ease-of-play and minimal prep.  If I have to take the time to "prep" my paid-for module, I probably won't buy.

Because let's face it -- creativity is cheap; the barrier is in that "99% persperation" (to abuse the Edison quote).  Professional authors are similarly unimpressed with wannabe-novelists' "great ideas:"  tellable storyseeds & engaging characters aren't that hard to come by; persistent work and decent craftsmanship are what make good ideas become good stories.  Many of us in GM'dom have more ideas than we can run.  If I'm gonna put in game-mechanical prep-time for a module, why wouldn't I just prep my OWN ideas?

I guess it comes down to disagreeing with one of your premises above:  "I mean most of us convert adventures anyway."  If that is your experience -- not just for yourself, but of other GM's/gamers -- then I'm an outlier/oddity and you should ignore me.

Not sure if this was helpful... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't normally log on in the week ...

Yes, I would be interested in d100 adventures, especially as low-cost PDFs. I have bought the Classic Fantasy modules from Mythras and they are the right kind of length and price.

One of the problems you might face is which d100 rules set you want to write for. OGL games include Legend, Revolution, Renaissance and OpenQuest. Mythras isn't OGL but are quite open regarding adventures, I think. Alternatively, you could just target generic d100 rules and not base on any particular system, however that might cause problems with copyright/licencing/whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, g33k said:

A bit of chirping crickets, eh?  Sadly, that may be the most-informative answer you'll get...  :( 

I'll give you my two bits.  They are probably worth about what you're paying for them...

Personally, I am not usually willing to spend much on something I need to convert.  I  _buy_  adventures/modules for the ease-of-play and minimal prep.  If I have to take the time to "prep" my paid-for module, I probably won't buy.

Because let's face it -- creativity is cheap; the barrier is in that "99% persperation" (to abuse the Edison quote).  Professional authors are similarly unimpressed with wannabe-novelists' "great ideas:"  tellable storyseeds & engaging characters aren't that hard to come by; persistent work and decent craftsmanship are what make good ideas become good stories.  Many of us in GM'dom have more ideas than we can run.  If I'm gonna put in game-mechanical prep-time for a module, why wouldn't I just prep my OWN ideas?

I guess it comes down to disagreeing with one of your premises above:  "I mean most of us convert adventures anyway."  If that is your experience -- not just for yourself, but of other GM's/gamers -- then I'm an outlier/oddity and you should ignore me.

Not sure if this was helpful... 

Good discourse is always helpful :)

I am not sure you are an outlier/oddity as much as you represent a segment of the population that does things a certain way. I myself tend to be 30/70 Convert other / Do my own thing, primarily because it gives my players

  1. A chance to experience a story not written by me, with all that entails - like allowing guest writers or directors onto a series
  2. An opportunity to experience classics. In my last campaign I ran, I turned the Isle of Dread (X! D&D Expert Set) into something useful for other systems, for example.

So that 30% of conversions work I do has reasons behind it.

In this case, the mods would be written using my Q21 mechanics (based off of OpenQuest) and so the conversions won't be hard, IF that is your thing. In fact I would make the stuff as generic as possible so any conversion would be easy.  At least in my mind. I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I don't normally log on in the week ...

Yes, I would be interested in d100 adventures, especially as low-cost PDFs. I have bought the Classic Fantasy modules from Mythras and they are the right kind of length and price.

One of the problems you might face is which d100 rules set you want to write for. OGL games include Legend, Revolution, Renaissance and OpenQuest. Mythras isn't OGL but are quite open regarding adventures, I think. Alternatively, you could just target generic d100 rules and not base on any particular system, however that might cause problems with copyright/licencing/whatever.

As mentioned above I would just use my Q21 mechanics. I like Classic Fantasy as well and would stay away from anything that would be too much like what they are doing out of respect for them. Currently I am working on what I call Two Hour Ventures for D&D 5e and it occurred to me d100 players might like something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would probably use generic D100% scenarios.

I have converted many fantasy scenarios to BRP/ RQ/Glorantha over the years. Some of those were Stormbringer scenarios, so they were BRP and very compatable with RQ.

However I have also converted Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms scenarios into Glorantha, so they originally used one of the D&D editions. I have also converted a few ShadowWorld  scenarios and they were originally using Rolemaster stats.

So for me a bunch of generic BRP compatible scenarios could be quite useful.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I would put in my two cents... I am always in the market for D100 adventures and I am willing to pay more than just a couple of dollars for good quality. But quality is key. For me a good adventure has some investigation, some combat, lots of interaction between players and NPCs and makes logical sense (No ancient giant dungeons filled with monsters unless there is rational behind it.). I am aware that expecting logic in a fantasy game may be a bridge to far but my players are engineers.  As for as system I am flexible and would be okay with nearly anything (Maybe not adventures for story or narrative games).

PS - If the adventure is low fantasy / low magic that is a plus!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rsanford said:

Just thought I would put in my two cents... I am always in the market for D100 adventures and I am willing to pay more than just a couple of dollars for good quality. But quality is key. For me a good adventure has some investigation, some combat, lots of interaction between players and NPCs and makes logical sense (No ancient giant dungeons filled with monsters unless there is rational behind it.). I am aware that expecting logic in a fantasy game may be a bridge to far but my players are engineers.  As for as system I am flexible and would be okay with nearly anything (Maybe not adventures for story or narrative games).

PS - If the adventure is low fantasy / low magic that is a plus!

I have often wondered what a d100 mega dungeon might look like? More dangerous I think so it would need to be carefully constructed or everyone would be down to one arm by the end of the first level lol. 

Quality would be key,  a focus on interesting short  (or long) adventures could be run in a night or two. And a variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have often wondered what a d100 mega dungeon might look like? More dangerous I think so it would need to be carefully constructed or everyone would be down to one arm by the end of the first level lol. 

We had a dungeon in our RQ2 campaign called "The Acid Pits", run by one of our group GMs. Scenarios involved goint to the Acid Pits, climbing a cliff, getting riddled by an Illuminated Griffin Guardian, entering the Acid Pits, making it through three or four rooms, then retiring in disarry, with the treasure always "just around the corner, if you had carried on ...". Still, we persevered and kept going back again and agin, clearing it of Chaos room by room. When the GM showed up a list of 1,000 computer-generated Demons for the Acid Pits, we resolved never to go back.

 

7 hours ago, Sean_RDP said:

Quality would be key,  a focus on interesting short  (or long) adventures could be run in a night or two. And a variety.

RQ is good at short, sharp hits, go in, do something and get out again. Camping in a megadungeon and replenishing magic points is fine, using your divine magic and not being able to repray it means you have to eventually leave, unless you have a portable shrine or artifact.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...