So....

Y Mab Darogan

Wasn't it also supposed to be released at Gencon 2017? It kinda makes me doubt the one release a month schedule that was touted a while back.

Sadly the date seems to be as elusive as that for 13th Age. I had hoped the switch to Chaosium would improve the scheduling issues.

Inshallah.

6 hours ago, kaydet said:

Wasn't it also supposed to be released at Gencon 2017? It kinda makes me doubt the one release a month schedule that was touted a while back.

Sadly the date seems to be as elusive as that for 13th Age. I had hoped the switch to Chaosium would improve the scheduling issues.

Inshallah.

As of the quick-start rules and free rpg day, the goal was end of 2017.  Right now it is (I believe) 2Q 2018, so an optimist would say by Gen Con 

15 hours ago, kaydet said:

Inshallah.

We sold 50 copies of a special preview of the complete draft ruleset at Gencon 50 in 2017. Based on solid and helpful feedback we decided to have the manuscript get revised one more time. As of today, the Core Rules, the Bestiary, and the GM Screen Pack are all in layout. When layout is complete we will sell them as PDFs, followed by printed copies a few months later.

As for one product a month, Chaosium has come pretty close to that. We released Reign of Terror in November, Petersen's Abominations in December, and Alone Against the Dark in January. When we said we were gearing up to get to "one release a month" we said that was for all our product lines. Just to be clear, we never stated we would be releasing one new Gloranthan product a month. As for 13th Age, the Core Rulebook is now done with initial layout and will soon be available as a PDF. The same goes for the Gloranthan Sourcebook.

• Like 8

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

It’s much better to be running behind schedule with a good product, rather than an early release of a shoddy one.

I am more than happy for RQG to be in the former category 😎

• Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

23 hours ago, kaydet said:

@Rick Meints I misunderstood, then. I thought that the intention was to release a Runequest publication one per month following release of the main rules.

I vaguely remember there might have been a plan to release the three core books in consecutive months, but that was a while back and, eh, things change. I’d rather the team communicate openly and honestly about their plans than not say anything in case it will be thrown back at them later.

Simon Hibbs

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 1/12/2018 at 2:40 PM, Mankcam said:

It’s much better to be running behind schedule with a good product, rather than an early release of a shoddy one.

I am more than happy for RQG to be in the former category 😎

I need a "clapping, cheering, stomping my feet" emoji.

In lieu of that, I'll just say... "+1"

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

One RQ product every two months, following the initial release, was the previously-announced plan, as per https://www.chaosium.com/blog/rqgnew-runequest-edition-to-be-known-as-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha/

In our new timeline we'll have three RQG titles out by the end of the year, followed by additional items every month or two after that.

We are building up a RQ product pipeline that will release 6 products per year, at a pace of a book every other month on average. 

Edited by Steve

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

One RQ product every two months, following the initial release, was the previously-announced plan, as per https://www.chaosium.com/blog/rqgnew-runequest-edition-to-be-known-as-runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha/

Our plan is still to release the core rules, bestiary, and GM scenario pack before GenCon, and then keep rolling out books every other month or so. But honestly, this is now a silly thread and the sort of thing that makes me question whether we should ever make any announcements on when we expect books to be ready until the book is about to go to the printers. We tell you all our plans based on our own expectations, but we always have to adapt to changing circumstances. Writers might be slow or require more editing, feedback might enable more substantive editing than originally expected, artists might be slower, layout might hit a bottle-neck, and then there is the great black box of printing. If everything works as expected, we know how long it takes to make a book. That being said, things rarely go as expected.

• Like 1

Sorry Jeff, I was just trying to help out some of the previous posters who thought they remembered something about one a month. I was pointing out here that that wasn't correct, it was one every other month. But I realise that it's difficult to predict how long books take to produce.

I do know that when the books come they're going to be very high quality, and I'd rather that than have a disappointing product. But having said that, I do think that some of the announcements have been a little over-excited (I can't blame anyone for getting too excited about a new Chaosium version of RQ though!) and unrealistic in terms of timescales (deliberately not mentioning a prime example ...). Without wanting to sound patronising (but I realise it might sound like that), I'd suggest that these threads are a sign of just how excited fans are about the plans that you've announced, and a good thing even if it's a bit annoying to you busy guys sometimes.

My money is still ready and waiting though, for when the products do appear. I can't wait.

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

Sorry Jeff, I was just trying to help out some of the previous posters who thought they remembered something about one a month. I was pointing out here that that wasn't correct, it was one every other month. But I realise that it's difficult to predict how long books take to produce.

I do know that when the books come they're going to be very high quality, and I'd rather that than have a disappointing product. But having said that, I do think that some of the announcements have been a little over-excited (I can't blame anyone for getting too excited about a new Chaosium version of RQ though!) and unrealistic in terms of timescales (deliberately not mentioning a prime example ...). Without wanting to sound patronising (but I realise it might sound like that), I'd suggest that these threads are a sign of just how excited fans are about the plans that you've announced, and a good thing even if it's a bit annoying to you busy guys sometimes.

My money is still ready and waiting though, for when the products do appear. I can't wait.

We managed to get some books out WAY ahead of schedule, and other books have taken WAY longer than we could possibly expect (sometimes for really weird reasons). Usually our estimates are pretty reasonable given the assumptions at play. But if those assumptions change (and they often do), then so does the schedule.

53 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Our plan is still to release the core rules, bestiary, and GM scenario pack before GenCon, and then keep rolling out books every other month or so. But honestly, this is now a silly thread and the sort of thing that makes me question whether we should ever make any announcements on when we expect books to be ready until the book is about to go to the printers. We tell you all our plans based on our own expectations, but we always have to adapt to changing circumstances. Writers might be slow or require more editing, feedback might enable more substantive editing than originally expected, artists might be slower, layout might hit a bottle-neck, and then there is the great black box of printing. If everything works as expected, we know how long it takes to make a book. That being said, things rarely go as expected.

These threads are just us lot saying "can I get it yet? Can I get it yet? Can I get it yet?" So it's a positive thing really. You guys keep your own pace and don't feel rushed by our impatience and eagerness to get our grubby hooves on the treasure.

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

I know of at least one publisher who moved to a policy of, "we don't even announce 'in the pipeline' until final-draft and all art are in-house and it's all up to us for layout & following" because Stuff Happens and maybe an author suddenly can't produce a draft on time, or an artist turns out to have plagarized, or what-the-Fudge-ever, and entirely-reasonable ETA's become outrageously un-achievable.  Then they won't estimate availability until it's actually in-country being trans-shipped to warehouses, because all the way from proofs/galleys that fail, to sub-standard paper-samples and review copies, and on to shipping strikes and customs snafu's...  SO much is outside their control.

<shrug>

I continue to be ENTIRELY satisfied with nuChaosium's existing policy of quality-first, and holding on to the project (despite delays) until the quality meets your standards.

My ONLY complaint is that -- if you DO announce a date or timeframe -- you not let  that announced "ready by" date slip by without revising the estimate... even if that revision has to be, "we are still working on it, but are no longer confident we can accurately estimate completion."

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

We at the Chaosium are very happy to talk about forthcoming projects that are in the works. That has been a long standing policy of the Chaosium going back to almost the very beginning of the company in the mid 70s. I don't expect that to change. We have learned not to talk about projects until they are ready for production. The Chaosium used to talk about all manner of projects that weren't much more than very incomplete drafts, including some that were hardly past the "notes on scrap paper" stage. As has been said, "when" is always the toughest question to answer.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 4:22 PM, g33k said:

...because all the way from proofs/galleys that...

I'm guessing this is some publishing term?   Because for a moment, okay, I'm still picturing it, I saw RQ books in wooden boxes stored on galley ships being rowed by slaves across a vast sea from wherever the books are printed.    ^_^

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

I'm guessing this is some publishing term?   Because for a moment, okay, I'm still picturing it, I saw RQ books in wooden boxes stored on galley ships being rowed by slaves across a vast sea from wherever the books are printed.    ^_^

@Jeff-- This is a GREAT idea!!!  How much would Chaosium need to charge for an actual Galley-shipped copy of the rules?   :wub:

Of course, we wouldn't want Galley-galley's, as that would delay the whole project by too much...

:lol:

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig