Returning after 35 years...

Trotsky

Hi everyone, my youth was spent role-playing, with a lot of that being a Runequest campaign. Now I have not played Runequest, or really any RPG's for nearly 35 years but have recently stumbled across the Quick Start rules for the new edition and it has sparked my imagination.

Unfortunately, I do not have much of my old RQ2 stuff anymore or even have a group to play with. Regardless of that I am thinking of resurrecting/restarting an old campaign of my mine from a box of notes I found in a old Pavis box and will try to get a group together.

The campaign revolved around a group of Praxian Bison Riders who were banished from their tribe after being wrongfully accused of failing to prevent the death of a tribal shaman. The exiled riders ended up in Pavis, worked for Raus in the Grantlands and after many adventures all over Prax, discovered the real reason for the shaman’s death and tried to right a wrong. They eventually uncovered the dark truth about the shaman and were admitted back into their tribe.

I would like to plan and run this using the new rules that will be available this year. I can start writing before the rules are released and work out stat blocks later. The question is what resources should I look to purchase? I am on a limited budget so unfortunately the Guide to Glorantha is beyond my purse.

I currently have: A RQ2 rulebook, cults of Prax & Terror. Pavis and the Big Rubble. Am I missing any really useful supplements?

Kind regards

Trotsky

Edited by Trotsky
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Trotsky said:

I currently have: A RQ2 rulebook, cults of Prax & Terror. Pavis and the Big Rubble. Am I missing any really useful supplements?

If you still remember the stuff from Borderlands, there was the RQ3 Renaissance era with a couple of good products: Sun County, Shadows on the Borderlands, Strangers in Prax and the campaign in River of Cradles. All of these are out of print, but if you happen to come across an affordable second hand copy, these have much playable material. River of Cradles duplicates some of the info from Borderlands and Pavis, but the campaign still is considered a classic.

If you don't tangle with Sun Domers or Riverfolk and are looking for purely nomad adventures, the best info is part of the Guide of Glorantha. Nothing immediately playable, but lots of locales you never heard of before. Still, that's maybe too much of everything else than Prax for quite a few dollars. One of the nicest Glorantha products ever, though.

The only published RQ scenarios that I can recall set in Beast Rider Prax are those in RuneQuest Adventures #3 (a fan publication distributed as stapled photocopied A4 booklets, in the 1990ies), The Block. It is remotely possible that there are a few copies mouldering in the Chaos Society stock in Germany, try and contact them at editor@tradetalk.de , or find someone willing to scan those pages for you. I cannot recall any scenarios from the Tales of the Reaching (another out-of-print fanzine from the 1990ies) special issues on Prax.

Other than that, look at the Prax-themed threads on this forum, or ask directed questions.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Yes to most of what people have said. The Pavis HeroQuest book is, from a RuneQuest point of view, a big book full of stuff that is almost game system independent. A large proportion of it is reprints or minimal updates for someone who already has Pavis, Big Rubble, and Borderlands, though. The adventures are easily translated to RuneQuest, and the cult writeups will at least give you some idea of how the background (particularly the cults) has changed. 

The RQ3 scenario packs (Sun County, River of Cradles, Shadows on the Borderlands, and Strangers in Prax) all contain a great deal of great playable material. If you can get them, you won't be disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, Trotsky said:

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Just need to wait for the new Runequest version - is there any more detailed about it anywhere?

There is an extensive set of "Designer Blog" notes, links collected here:

(All hail Roko Joko!)

Other than that, there are a few snippets hither and thither...  G+, here on BRP Central in various threads, etc.

Are you aware of the "13th Age in Glorantha" project?  One of the outfalls of their Kickstarter is a mechanics-neutral "Gloranthan Sourcebook" which should be released "soon"...

Edited by g33k
typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, jajagappa said:

And the Quickstart guide along with the supplemental adventurer which provides some of the spirit magic/combat rules.

Forgot the shaman, right!  The OP mentioned having the QS, but the e-copy-only / spirit character (*and associated rules) is another big piece of "how things work" ...

Although it's worth remembering (or learning) that the QS rules are "indicative" but decidedly non-final; FreeRPGday reports & other event'ing, and I think feedback from the 50-copy "limited Con edition" had iirc gotten Chaosium to do One More Draft before the final lock-down...

C'es ne pas un .sig

I to am re-igniting my interest in RQ after a number of years. In my case the motivation is the material available from the RQII Classic Kick Starter Project. My understanding is that all that has been "republished" is also. Go to the Chaosium Site look under RuneQuest - for the sub heading RuneQuest Classic. There are 7 pdf's there soon to be joined by an 8th - Griffin Mountain.

As indicated above the RuneQuest - Glorantha Classics has pdf's or if in your price range (especial if not in the USA with postage) hard copy.

There are some of the magazine and other supporting material present on "DriveThru RPG" to.

It is always worth checking Abe Books or AdAll Books for second hand or even residual "new" old material - got a copy of the Dorastor RQ3 pack quite reasonably priced there not that long ago.

I do strongly recommend searching out and picking up any copies of "Tales of the Reaching Moon" as having prime material - some is picked up in / for later supplements

There is also a rather rag tag collection of downloadable documents for various editions of RQ on Scribd - I've built a List of those I've found - "Rune Quest" there are 27 "documents" in the list - not a few are full books scanned & uploaded of stuff out of print.

Hope this is of value and may the Winds Blow Fair, The Journey Be Worth While and Your Challenges Mastered.

Edited by Furry Fella
adding extra information

Note the most of the material Chaosium publish is also available from warehouse facilities in the UK and Australia obviating the excessive postage cost  (unless you're in Canada where the USPS & Canada Post seem to conspire to not only have excessive postage charges but add insult to injury to adding on taxes and a handling charge).

Nigel

1 hour ago, nclarke said:

Note the most of the material Chaosium publish is also available from warehouse facilities in the UK and Australia obviating the excessive postage cost  (unless you're in Canada where the USPS & Canada Post seem to conspire to not only have excessive postage charges but add insult to injury to adding on taxes and a handling charge).

How does one access these warehouses for hard copies - the Chaosium site only seems to relate to its US stauff?

If you go through the checkout process I think it looks at your shipping address and calculates shipping accordingly. At least that's how it seems to me in the UK. Obvioulsy you can check this before confirming the purchase and cancelling it it the shipping is too high. Note that depending upon where you live customs may add taxes (Germany has VAT on books whereas the UK doesn't for example)

Nigel

8 hours ago, Furry Fella said:

There is also a rather rag tag collection of downloadable documents for various editions of RQ on Scribd - I've built a List of those I've found - "Rune Quest" there are 27 "documents" in the list - not a few are full books scanned & uploaded of stuff out of print.

I have found Scribd to be too lax about (c) and IP-theft for my own comfort.  Margins are thin enough in this industry that I want to pay the author(s) / publisher(s) for the value they have provided me.  

Of course, in these days of Patreon/etc, sometimes one can pirate an otherwise-unavailable product *AND* pay the author!  :blink:    This fits well-within my moral compass (though not the letter of the law).  I have not actually found a product that I want-but-cannot-get AND a matching Patreon/etc author, but I'd happily do this if I did!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Again, thanks for all the replies.

I have limited funds and so currently I will wait for the physical version of the new rules to become available (and to see how much that costs). After that I might pick up some pdf material from the website - the pdf Guide to Glorantha seems good value

14 hours ago, g33k said:

I have found Scribd to be too lax about (c) and IP-theft for my own comfort.  Margins are thin enough in this industry that I want to pay the author(s) / publisher(s) for the value they have provided me.  

Of course, in these days of Patreon/etc, sometimes one can pirate an otherwise-unavailable product *AND* pay the author!  :blink:    This fits well-within my moral compass (though not the letter of the law).  I have not actually found a product that I want-but-cannot-get AND a matching Patreon/etc author, but I'd happily do this if I did!

Unfortunately I agree. Mostly I use it to read / find stuff to see if it's worth getting. That said the Book material is a lot better than it was and no longer downloadable.

I do have an ambivalence over long out of print material - much prefering to check it out to see if it's worth it and then see if I can get it via Adall or Abe Books.

Though with my wide interests there are still plenty of gems where people have posted personal work as I'm also a Cold War gamer I'm hunting through the mammoth work done on the 1980's Nato OB's