Le Guin and hazia

davecake

I’ve long suspected that Ursula Le Guins Earthsea books have had some influence on Glorantha.

But I was surprised to discover a reference to intoxicating hazia-root. I wasn’t able to discover any other references to hazia as an intoxicant, is this where we got it from? 

(And then of course there is Roke Domdanalash in the East Isles, but I take that to be more direct recent homage (noting also Domdaniel))

9 hours ago, davecake said:

I’ve long suspected that Ursula Le Guins Earthsea books have had some influence on Glorantha.

But I was surprised to discover a reference to intoxicating hazia-root. I wasn’t able to discover any other references to hazia as an intoxicant, is this where we got it from? 

I'm pretty sure that hazia has it's Gloranthan origins in @MOB 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 1/25/2018 at 10:43 AM, Oracle said:

Just learned that Ursula K. Le Guin passed away last Tuesday. Sad to hear, I really loved the EarthSea books.

This is the first I'd heard of it.  Truly a great loss.

She also wrote some classic sci fi novels:  The Left Hand of Darkness, The Lathe of Heaven, The DispossessedThe Word For World is Forest (the basis for the movie Avatar, though she was less than thrilled at the way some of her themes were 'adjusted'), the Hainish cycle, numerous short stories in both genres, and even some non-genre stuff.  She was (is) the archetype for many women authors who followed.

RIP.

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, it made its appearance in Sun County.  So, maybe the influence lies there?

Hazia is in Sun County, and also gets a mention in a scenario by fellow Australian Mark Holsworth in an early issue of Tales of the Reaching Moon (#4). Hazia was a recurring plot element in the RuneQuest Club Campaign at our university RPG club in the mid-1980s too—the setting was a precursor to some of what ended up in Sun County. But where the Gloranthan term comes from, I can't recall. The Earthsea books is a possibility for sure though.

• Like 1