Sun County (RQ) with HeroQuest Glorantha rules

spequlator

Hello, everyone!

I have a bunch of old RuneQuest books and I would like run them for my players but I don't feel like using the RQ rules. All those very detailed rules were cool when I was younger, but now, after getting to know HeroQuest: Glorantha and already with two sessions of GMing that under my belt I feel that is more to my liking at the moment.

Has anyone tried redoing any of the old RQ classics with HQ:G rules? I would like to start with Sun County (this one: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_6784.phtml ) scenarios. Some of my players might want to create new characters, some might want to have ready made characters. In Sun County book there are 8 ready made characters, but of course I/we would have to "convert" (probably more or less loosely) those characters from RQ stats to HQ:G ones. Any tips for that?

Also, one thing I feel like struggling are the local Yelmalio worshipping characters. For example, which runes might be common for Sun County men and women?

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions later, but here are my main worries at the moment. Please, share your thoughts!

• Like 2

Dealing with NPC's shouldn't be much of a problem; a few keywords and abilities, maybe some quick motivation and personality notes.  Or, you could treat them as you would PC's when converting them, but that would be quite a bit more time-intensive.

I'd suggest using the narrative method for character creation starting from the sketches given in Sun County, and have the players flesh out/distill them.  This obviously isn't exhaustive, but here are some specific suggestions:

1)  Some keywords should be straightforward, bearing in mind their implications; for instance, a Yelmalio Rune Priest would become a Devotee of Yelmalio.  In this case, since devotees will tend to concentrate magic, I'd cut out most or all of any battle magic spells they have, possibly giving them a magic item or two which can duplicate some of those effects.  Whatever fits with the character.  Homeland keywords should be easy enough, but occupational ones might need a little adjustment.  Then fill in the abilities under each keyword.

2)  Translate stats of 15+ (or whatever level you prefer) to abilities, e.g., Strong, Hardy, etc.  You could also convert exceptional weapon/shield skills, abilities, or items into abilities, and add low-end stats to limitations.

3)  Work out a selection of spells (assuming the character has any, common magic or otherwise) to fit under Magical Abilities.  The Common Magic rating could be translated directly from POW, as long as it's at least equal to the starting level, or set at starting level if lower.

4)  Personal Connections would obviously fit under Relationships, and Followers should flow from the RQ write-ups.  Some of the PC's without any reference to such in the books could be given the opportunity to create followers and/or an ally.

5)  As for ability ratings, I'd start them at the basic levels, with perhaps some modifications based on the character write-ups.  Then you could simply give the players a number of Hero Points to distribute, depending on where you want them to start in terms of power, and guide the players as far as the areas they should be spent.

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

Dealing with NPC's shouldn't be much of a problem; a few keywords and abilities, maybe some quick motivation and personality notes.  Or, you could treat them as you would PC's when converting them, but that would be quite a bit more time-intensive.

I'd suggest using the narrative method for character creation starting from the sketches given in Sun County, and have the players flesh out/distill them.  This obviously isn't exhaustive, but here are some specific suggestions:

1)  Some keywords should be straightforward, bearing in mind their implications; for instance, a Yelmalio Rune Priest would become a Devotee of Yelmalio.  In this case, since devotees will tend to concentrate magic, I'd cut out most or all of any battle magic spells they have, possibly giving them a magic item or two which can duplicate some of those effects.  Whatever fits with the character.  Homeland keywords should be easy enough, but occupational ones might need a little adjustment.  Then fill in the abilities under each keyword.

2)  Translate stats of 15+ (or whatever level you prefer) to abilities, e.g., Strong, Hardy, etc.  You could also convert exceptional weapon/shield skills, abilities, or items into abilities, and add low-end stats to limitations.

3)  Work out a selection of spells (assuming the character has any, common magic or otherwise) to fit under Magical Abilities.  The Common Magic rating could be translated directly from POW, as long as it's at least equal to the starting level, or set at starting level if lower.

4)  Personal Connections would obviously fit under Relationships, and Followers should flow from the RQ write-ups.  Some of the PC's without any reference to such in the books could be given the opportunity to create followers and/or an ally.

5)  As for ability ratings, I'd start them at the basic levels, with perhaps some modifications based on the character write-ups.  Then you could simply give the players a number of Hero Points to distribute, depending on where you want them to start in terms of power, and guide the players as far as the areas they should be spent.

Um, are you taking about HQ1? HQ2/G got rid of concentrating magic and the common magic rating, though most of your advice is still good.

2 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Um, are you taking about HQ1? HQ2/G got rid of concentrating magic and the common magic rating, though most of your advice is still good.

Sorry about that, they tend to run together for me.  I don't run pure HQ games, more like HQ rules shoehorned into my RQ game.

However, I'm working on an Earthsea variant that will eventually use HQ2 core.

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, spequlator said:

Has anyone tried redoing any of the old RQ classics with HQ:G rules? I would like to start with Sun County (this one: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_6784.phtml ) scenarios. Some of my players might want to create new characters, some might want to have ready made characters. In Sun County book there are 8 ready made characters, but of course I/we would have to "convert" (probably more or less loosely) those characters from RQ stats to HQ:G ones. Any tips for that?

Also, one thing I feel like struggling are the local Yelmalio worshipping characters. For example, which runes might be common for Sun County men and women?

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions later, but here are my main worries at the moment. Please, share your thoughts!

I've run the Garhound Contest/Melisande's Hand in HQG (although transplanted from Sun County to the Colymar tribe).  Worked great, though I made a few alterations to the events in the games to suit my needs (and spread it over two days).  I run all my games these days as PbF, so if you don't mind browsing through a long thread (with a few missing posts due to unfortunate circumstances), you can find it here:  https://rpggeek.com/thread/1204787/ic-heroquest-glorantha-colymar-campaign-2-orlmarth

For the local Yelmalions, the men will worship Yelmalio (Light and Truth) and the women Ernalda (Earth, Life, Harmony) with a few minor deities like Chalana Arroy or Zola Fel thrown into the mix.  The Ernalda writeup is in HQG (or in Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes) while Yelmalio appears in Pavis: Gateway to Adventure.  I'd recommend getting the latter if you don't have it already as it provides HQ versions of most cults you need for Sun County plus creating Yelmalion/Sun County characters.

A brief extract: 

Cultural Keyword: Sun Domer. You are a member of the Sun Dome Temple. You are proud, pious, and suspicious of outsiders. You know how to fight with your weapons; the distinctive two-handed spear and shield of the Sun Dome cultists. You know how to fight in file or in line and serve in your local militia. Your folks are farmers and herders. Unusually for HeroQuest, this cultural keyword does not reflect social rank or relationship to society, that being derived from the Light Rune.
Common Elemental Runes: Fire (Men), Earth (Women).
Important Cults: Yelmalio (Light, Truth) (men only), Ernalda (Earth, Life, Harmony) (women only)
Common Background Occupations: Crafter, Farmer, Healer, Herder, Mercenary, Merchant, Priest, Sage, and Thane.

Regarding pre-gen character conversion, MOB kindly thought to include Distinctive Traits and Personal Connections.  Treat those as your character narratives from which to pull together your HQ character and add-in relevant keywords for occupation, cult, and runes.

E.g. Haloric Longfarm: Ambitious Mercenary

Cultural keyword: Sun Domer.  Occupation keyword: Mercenary.  

Noted traits for Haloric include:

• Arrogant (possible Flaw) - associated with his geas to always speak Truth, so Truth seems likely to be his highest rune
  • Unconventional Views - sounds like either an independent ability or an interesting breakout
  • Disliked and Distrusted by Superiors (definitely sounds like a Flaw)
  • Devout Yelmalio cultist - Devout could be a breakout under the cultural keyword or a rune associated with Yelmalio or an independent ability
  • His connections mostly seem to be to his militia unit, so Loyal to Comrades (or something similar) could be a breakout under Mercenary.

Then look for other interesting features:

• Master of 2H Spear (gift) - I'd make distinct ability starting at 1W (or maybe higher)
  • The geases should be noted.  Probably not as flaws.
  • Brass torc with Lightwall - probably a distinct ability

What's left?

Runes:  Light and Truth are obvious, and as noted Truth likely to be paramount Rune.  What's the 3rd?  "Unconventional" suggests it could be Movement/Change (not stopped by tradition); or if divisive, maybe Disorder; or maybe Storm (if defying authority) or Water!  

Charms/Spells/Natural talents:  the brass torc already noted.  Nothing else overly stands out, but maybe he has Heal Wounds under his Light rune.  Or if you like the Ambitious aspect, put Detect or Find Gold under either his Truth or Light rune (or maybe as a distinct Charm or talent).

Other Breakouts:  you've got four above.  Other notable abilities from his list include:  Dodge, Intimidate, Speak/Read/Write Pavic, Listen, Scan, Search.  You could translate those into:

• Blinding Light Defense
  • Intimidate Soldiers
  • Eyes of a Hawk
  • Hear the Sounds of the Night
  • Read and Write Pavic (doesn't need to be overly descriptive)

Then assign ratings and add in any additional points.  He doesn't have any spirit allies or companions per se, so I'd likely allow him two bonus abilities.  

Once you've worked out the points/ratings, you've got a converted character!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before converting get yourself a copy of Pavis Gateway to Adventure (if you haven’t got it already). Inside you’ll find the Yelmalio cult for HeroQuest. https://www.chaosium.com/pavis-gateway-to-adventure-pdf/

in reference to the above conversation, light priest is effectively a social rank. You can be one and not a devotee. But you can’t be a devotee and not a priest or light son (some cults allow initiates to become devotees without social rank). Light sons are fighting devotees.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

18 hours ago, jajagappa said:

E.g. Haloric Longfarm: Ambitious Mercenary

Thank you so much for this detailed example of character conversion. This is just what I was hoping to do and this example will surely help me if and when some of my players might prefer a ready made character.

That Pavis book looks like quite a hefty book and I feel like I'm already a little exhausted with S:KoH, but on the other hand the PDF version is not very expensive...

And I'll surely take a look at your play-by-forum game, thanks for the link!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spequlator said:

That Pavis book looks like quite a hefty book and I feel like I'm already a little exhausted with S:KoH, but on the other hand the PDF version is not very expensive...

Understandable, however the cults section is all you need to look at now and as you said, not too expensive. You can also download the cool Simon Bray masks for the Red Moon Rising adventure here - http://www.glorantha.com/docs/masks-of-the-true-gods/ 

If you've not seen these, they are worth a look!

Pavis ToC

Credits, Introduction

Making Your Character, Settling in Pavis

History of the Region

Regions - Prax, Civilized Prax, Corflu, Lunar Grantlands, Sun County, Jaxarte’s Journal, Pavis County, Prax Encounters

New Pavis - Pavis Politics, Cults of Pavis, The City of Thieves, Living in Pavis, Neighborhoods of New Pavis, New Pavis City Encounters, Special Encounters, The Big Rubble

Adventures in Pavis - Rough Business, The Celestial Engine, Red Moon Rising, The Purple Troll

Cults - Pavis, Flintnail,  Lanbril, Yelmalio, Zola Fel, Seven Mothers

Index

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, David Scott said:

Understandable, however the cults section is all you need to look at now and as you said, not too expensive. You can also download the cool Simon Bray masks for the Red Moon Rising adventure here - http://www.glorantha.com/docs/masks-of-the-true-gods/ 

If you've not seen these, they are worth a look!

Thanks for the tip! Although now I'm afraid that if I purchase the Pavis book I might want to run those scenarios, too, and then I'm all torn to different directions and I can't make decisions...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, spequlator said:

Although now I'm afraid that if I purchase the Pavis book I might want to run those scenarios, too, and then I'm all torn to different directions and I can't make decisions...

Just more options when you send the Sun Dome characters off to Pavis!

• Haha 1

For those interested, the Earthsea thing is some months away.  I'm barely into the research (10 pages of notes from the first third of the first book), and there are a few legal issues that I need to ensure that I've cleared before it's done.  It's in the pipe, but not guaranteed yet.  Work continues, whether it's for solely personal use or more public dissemination.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MOB, my wish would be a pdf HQ version of the book or even printed.

Done as an easy introduction to the setting and rules, but still with a mini campaign.

Step by step char gen with some random rolled aspects like a life path that ties in with keywords and other aspects of char gen.

Atlantis and Conan 2d20 have this and undoubtedly others. I recently ran the Mutant Year Zero intro game and that has a good char gen for a quickstart instead of just giving a finished charater sheet.

Plenty of player and gm snippets to fill in the setting.

Wishing...

On 1/31/2018 at 5:52 PM, spequlator said:

Hello, everyone!

Because HQG uses resistance based off a difficulty, not an NPCs stats i.e. Easy, Moderate etc. you don't need stats for NPCs. What is helpful is colour when describing what they do. You have the colour, its the RQ rules description of them, just leave it in its original format. One trick is to pick color based on how hard you think resistance is, and scanning for what the NPC is good/ bad at.

If you check out The Coming Storm and The Eleven Lights, you can see the format we use there for NPCs. We focus on three runes, cult affiliation, occupation and some key appearance short hands. Another way to think of it is building a PC but stopping at Distinguishing Characteristic and Occupation + 3 runes.

What you do need our cults, where they are used by PCs (and possibly keywords). As @David Scott says, get hold of Pavis if you can, as the Yelmalio cult is there. I would say that in Sun County men have the Fire Rune and women have the Earth rune.

• Thanks 1

It would be easy here to list all of the NPCs in the book and list their Name, occupation, distinguishing characteristic, cult and ask if @MOB would add three runes. Most of the NPCs in the book have shorthand traits. This isn't about posting the RQ NPCs and then chopping them down, it's just those 5 items.

• Thanks 1

-----

That would be great.

But what I think the HQ version of Glorantha needs is a better char gen for total novices to the setting. As mentioned in my previous, something that helps pick those keywords and other abilities, with fun tables or choices. Coming cold to the setting and rules, it is a bit of a step to pick the words if you dont know. Probably not to hard if you have some Fate experience, but build it as if none. I dont really care where this could be done, it would be great if something like this could be done for the Red Cow campaign. I can just see my players scratching there heads, unsure what to do and that is not the sort of start you want.

MYZ quickstart had a simple system. Atlantis had a lot more involved one, but the rolls indicated what sort of experience/skill to pick. I know HQ is using a totally different approach, but that is the point.

I think the veterans need to look at the ease for noobs to get into the game.

• Like 2