BRP & Miniatures

LivingTriskele

I confess, I enjoy playing with miniatures. Most of my battle mats have either 1" squares or hexes. I'm just curious what other people use.

And off the topic, are the ranges for ranged weapons given in meter/yards?

Edited by LivingTriskele

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I confess, I enjoy playing with miniatures. Most of my battle mats have either 1" squares or hexes. I'm just curious what other people use.

Mostly for traditional reasons, hexes, as the first "battle mat" I ever had was a hex grid - but I have ben known in BRP games where scale / mini's aren't that important (e.g. Call of Cthulhu) to just sketch stuff out on a piece of paper...

And off the topic, are the ranges for ranged weapons given in meter/yards?

Provided you are consistent, you can actually use either, but IIRC the new BRP is metric...

Cheers,

Nick

Yeah, I appreciate the fact that it's sort of left open to interpretation. I have a closet full of Dwarven Forge Master Maze tiles from my 3.5 days. Each 1" square equals about five feet. I suppose I can fudge it a little bit and assume each unit of movement equals 5 feet instead one yard/meter. Either that or discard the whole battle mat thing entirely and use rulers on custom-made terrain. Hmmm... that actually sounds fun. My wife is going to love me when I turn our kitchen table into a miniature Mirkwood...

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I've been wanting to do a BRP based skirmish game for a while, and have just never gotten to it. Initially I had plans for a game set in the Stormbringer universe, with followers of the gods of Law duking it out in Cadsandria with Chaos cultists and demons.

I may revisit the idea in the future, perhaps with a more generic fantasy spin. I think BRP would interact pretty well with minis, even though it isn't needed to use the engine for roleplaying.

We don't tend to use miniatures of any kind any more. It's a shame because sometimes it's easier to grasp a situation by seeing where figures are on a board.

Even when we used miniatures, we never used hex sheets or grids and we never, ever worked out ranges. We played a fast and easy combat with approximate movement, reasonable missile fire and spells and so on.

When we wargame with miniatures, though, we are very strict on ranges and so on. It's because it's a different type of gaming, for us anyway.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I've been wanting to do a BRP based skirmish game for a while, and have just never gotten to it.

This sounds cool--would love to hear more about it if you put it together.

Even when we used miniatures, we never used hex sheets or grids and we never, ever worked out ranges. We played a fast and easy combat with approximate movement, reasonable missile fire and spells and so on.

Dispensing with hex sheets and grids actually sounds pretty liberating to me. I've never played any war games but can appreciate the artistry that goes into some of the dioramas.

~Albert Einstein~