Tribal Edit Thread for Glorantha Sourcebook

MOB

Please post any errors/typos spotted in the Glorantha Sourcebook to this thread. Please take care to note the page number where you've noticed something!

We'll keep this tribal edit open until March 6th. We'll then review the thread and make any necessary changes to the files before sending to print.

Please note there is a separate thread for the 13th Age Glorantha rule book here.

Many thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An essential + extraordinary work. Not exactly an error but I wonder if there's time to sharpen legibility on those great Wane maps, especially when it comes to the Elder Race symbols. I really had to blow mine up well beyond print size to spot the chaos lurking in Dorastor, for example.

(Wane maps) No uz symbol for Ezkoro Roko or the Mountains of Shadow down in Halikiv?

(Zero Wane, p. 154) Jaded students of aldryami-human relations can rejoice at the revelation that something recognizable as the Palace of Flowers was extant decades before the Burn! Truly an eye opener I hope is not an oversight.

p. 1 "gazeteer" needs another T

p. 20 that gorgeous + generous puppeteer page may need "cults" of Illusion on line 10, but this is itself a wink and an enigma

Edited by scott-martin

singer sing me a given

There is inconsistent spacing in the table of contents between the section name and the dots - sometimes there is a space, sometimes not.

On page 1, column 1, paragraph 2: "wthin" -> "within"

On page 1, column 1, paragraph 2, the sentence ending "history is the deeds of kings, heroes, and prophets, not economics, agricultural output, or of
tax revenues" seems a little clumsy. At least change "or of tax" to "or tax".

On page 1, column 2, second bullet point: "Empire:A" -> "Empire: A" 

It's a bit odd having the page numbers on the map (4 and 5).

• Like 1

Page 6. "The southern route was lost" - shouldn't this either be the northern route (assuming starting in Ralios) or something like "the southbound route in"?

Page 7. The Sweet Sea should be noted as a huge lake, otherwise to newcomers this appears to contradict the previous paragraph "no direct contact with any other sea"

Page 7. Suam Chong -> Suam Chow (it's correct a few lines down)

Page 11. threated -> threat

Edited by Charles
  • Like 1

p. 44 Gold(-)gotti would squawk if I didn't flag that there are multiple Merchant Princes. (Thumbs way up on this synopsis of Annstad though!)

p. 93 my lore is coming up blank on "Eronela" in that great little God Learner map. I love these, by the way! Can anyone remind me the story of this land? Would not mention it if it weren't so easy for a scribal error to generate two "Fronelas" here.

p. 188 Seventh Wane ends appropriately enough mid-"sacrifice" as though the chronicler were called away to deal with an emergency that never ended.

Edited by scott-martin
  • Like 1

singer sing me a given

p10 top of 2nd column -  "Dragonewts rose and crushed the heart of the once-might civilization" should be mighty

also p10 col2 = "2. Aldryami, most in the Stinking Forest" should be mostly

p13 - "ingratiating them into his realm" should probably be "integrating"

p13 col2 - italics continues after the pure horse poem, into sections that it shouldn't

p14 - "although a few are known to have not only survived but strengthened by their participation." should read "but been strengthened"

p14 - "longabandoned" should be two words (or hyphenated?)

p27 - image is of starbrow's rebellion, not grizzly peak.

Edited by boztakang

3 hours ago, scott-martin said:

p. 93 my lore is coming up blank on "Eronela" in that great little God Learner map. I love these, by the way! Can anyone remind me the story of this land? Would not mention it if it weren't so easy for a scribal error to generate two "Fronelas" here.

I saw that too but there is an Erontree forest between Seshnela and Fronela so it may not be a mistake.

20 minutes ago, davecake said:

I’m impressed that the map of the underworld on page 78 only has about 6 geographical features on it, but still manages to be inconsistent with S:KoH! 

Does the underworld really have a fixed topography though?

2 hours ago, Charles said:

I believe that the Underworld is vast, much more than any Gloranthan being can really understand

That is certainly my take on it - 

A Thousand Hells

With the universe turned on its head, and the natural order inverted, it was inevitable that the cracks beneath Arrquong’s well would widen, and leak horrors into the broken world. Bad Man, Weak Woman, and Traitor Spirit performed unspeakable acts, and together vomited forth the Devil. The Devil performed many terrible and unforgivable deeds, but by far the most foul was the destruction of the Great Queendom and the Spike at the center of the world.

The destruction of the Center breaks the underworld into Ten Thousand Hells. Each one an isolated fragment of what was there before. Most of them are consumed by chaos and vanish as if they had never existed, Half of those that remain are corrupted so badly that no one can visit. Half of the ones that can be visited have been lost, and no one knows how to reach them. As a result, only one piece in ten of the original underworld remained to be bound by the great web, and can be reached by mortals within the bounds of time, and each of those has been damaged or corrupted to some degree.

Humans claim to know of as many as nine distinct hells, but Uz can reach many many more than that. Most are terrible, broken places that offer little more than novel ways to suffer and die. Others provide subtle variations on the common themes of better known fragments of the underworld. Each major pantheon has at least one fragment of their own, where their devout dead go to await rebirth, and where their gods of darkness and death hold court. Important and well-known myths can overlap many such fragments, providing some modicum of stability to scenes shared by many gods and peoples. But nothing in the underworld is ever entirely certain.

Connections between the thousand hells are irrational and ever-changing. It is common to shift unexpectedly from one reality to another in regions where the underworlds diverge or combine, and there is no map that can accurately predict where or when such events might occur. Even established and well-rehearsed myths might change drastically from one telling to another. Each of the underworld scenes described above have multiple reflections in the Thousand Hells, along with innumerable other locations, events, and happenings.

(apologies for the off-topic trollpack teaser)

Edited by boztakang
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1