Tribal Edit Thread for Glorantha Sourcebook

MOB

6 hours ago, JonL said:

This is an awkward way to present this particular story wrinkle. Nothing about "align himself with them more closely"  or "acting trollish" says "underwent a horrifying ritual to bodily become an Uz" to someone who doesn't already know the tale.

But it's also been that way since Trollpack, wayyy wayyyy back.

10 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

The ritual is more about transforming one's soul into a troll spirit, as visual appearance is secondary to Darksense... at least as I understand it. It's still gruesome and more often than not it fails and there's a feast instead...

Well, there are tusks involved, and breaking of bones. Basic cosmetic surgery before an induced coma.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Either way, the UZ section would have done well to have made their perspective on the relationship and his adoption/transformation clear, and at least touched on the Kingtroll cult and the "He was always one of UZ." concept. 

And again, the Time section only specifically acknowledging that he was a Troll at the end after almost evasively writing around saying that earlier in the section is a really unclear way to present it.

Hopefully the print-run will sell-out really quickly so they can have an opportunity to revise sooner rather than later. (I am sufficiently otherwise delighted by this release and the work on the upcoming RQG release that I will spare everyone my usual axe-grinding about an updated HQG pdf.)

More broadly, let me reiterate the suggestion of outside readers who don't know Glorantha at all for projects like this. I recall my initial struggles with framing Sorcery in HQG  a few years back (HQG & KoDP being my entry points into all this) with the presumed context in the writing. It still took getting a look at the old RQ & HQ1 material for me to find benchmarks for what low/medium/high-powered effects were supposed to be within the fiction.

Despite earnest efforts to explain things on the part of the authors, it's still challenging for people who have been immersed in Glorantha for decades to avoid taking things for granted that a newcomer needs to have more explicitly laid out. It's a difficult thing to recognize when close to a work, and while I'm being (hopefully constructively) critical here, that they pull it off successfully as often as they do is to their immense credit.

Edited by JonL
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JonL said:

let me reiterate the suggestion of outside readers who don't know Glorantha at all for projects like this.

This is sage advice. When I showed off the sourcebook to an outsider I got some comments about the order and granularity of information presentation . . . nothing fatal or even really damaging here, but worth considering for future outreach. 

singer sing me a given

• 2 weeks later...

Got the latest update of "The Glorantha Sourcebook". 
Where can i report errors?

Page 10 "The inhuman Occupation"
Every race was written with a capital letter, except the ducks. 

Page 11 End of left column
The Rune at the bottom of the column covers the world "involved". 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:35 AM, David Scott said:

I just spotted this in the latest version - page 154: obscured key 

5accd98696c73_ScreenShot2018-04-10at16_31_29.png.1a27c7277e8474672df57ae2da48f8ab.png

While we don't mind people reporting errors, typos, and layout suggestions, please only submit them based on the LATEST version of the book. Page 154 no longer has border decoration.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 minute ago, Rick Meints said:

While we don't mind people reporting errors, typos, and layout suggestions, please only submit them based on the LATEST version of the book. Page 154 no longer has border decoration.

This is from the latest version that can be downloaded. 

On 4/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, AndreJarosch said:

Got the latest update of "The Glorantha Sourcebook". 
Where can i report errors?

Page 10 "The inhuman Occupation"
Every race was written with a capital letter, except the ducks. 

Page 11 End of left column
The Rune at the bottom of the column covers the world "involved". 

While we don't mind people reporting errors, typos, and layout suggestions, please only submit them based on the LATEST version of the book, and ONLY for things not already reported and fixed. Page 11 rune was reported and was fixed some time ago.

Hope that Helps,

3 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

While we don't mind people reporting errors, typos, and layout suggestions, please only submit them based on the LATEST version of the book, and ONLY for things not already reported and fixed. Page 11 rune was reported and was fixed some time ago.

Ditto. Does this mean the Backerkit version "CHA4033 GSB revised again" is not the latest version, and there is a fourth and yet-to-distributed version? 

Yes, there is a newer version that we have not released yet. I cannot keep updating it and providing a new download every day based on a handful of changes made. I plan on releasing a final version probably after proofs with the printers are done.

Unless you find something catastrophically wrong, it is in all likelihood not worth submitting it. The proofs are being made. 

I know many of you are just trying to help make the book better, but there is a point where we just have to call it a day.

The alternative is delaying the book X number of weeks or months, which at this point of diminishing returns on what is being reported just isn't worth it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,

17 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

The latest version at chaosium.com has this error (and the rune/involved one too). So that is the latest version accessible to mere mortals. It's not unreasonable for someone to report something that they've seen in this latest version, right?

It's different if you want to say "we're in the middle of more proofs, please don't report more issues", which is what you seem to be saying in a later post.

Edited by Steve
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else tried to print off the pdf? I have and have had repeated issues, several pages throughout the text halt the printing process or cause printer corruptions. I’ve checked my printer (Ricoh Aticio MP c2050) with other PDFs over similar complexity and size with no problems. I’ve so far been unable to print beyond page 140. Pages 8, 28, 44 and 141 have caused the problems with the last one causing a massive print error. 

I struggle to read on computers and iPads and hate their use at the  gaming table, plus you can’t show off a pdf to your Mum as well as you can a book.

please can anyone help? 

5 hours ago, blackyinkin said:

Has anyone else tried to print off the pdf? I have and have had repeated issues, several pages throughout the text halt the printing process or cause printer corruptions. I’ve checked my printer (Ricoh Aticio MP c2050) with other PDFs over similar complexity and size with no problems. I’ve so far been unable to print beyond page 140. Pages 8, 28, 44 and 141 have caused the problems with the last one causing a massive print error. 

I struggle to read on computers and iPads and hate their use at the  gaming table, plus you can’t show off a pdf to your Mum as well as you can a book.

please can anyone help? 

I cannot "help" in the sense of fixing your problem.

But maybe a workaround -- if you have a local print/copy shop, you might be able to get the problem pages printed on a different unit than yours ... ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity as I’ve only just bought this, as corrections get added to a pdf do chaosium send emails when a new version is available like drivethru?

for my RQ and CoC I’d like to buy direct to support the company so it would be handy if they did.

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”

On 6/2/2018 at 1:47 PM, HorusArisen said:

Out of curiosity as I’ve only just bought this, as corrections get added to a pdf do chaosium send emails when a new version is available like drivethru?

for my RQ and CoC I’d like to buy direct to support the company so it would be handy if they did.

No, I haven't seen any emails in the past for updated PDFs, I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 1:11 AM, Rick Meints said:

Yes, there is a newer version that we have not released yet. I cannot keep updating it and providing a new download every day based on a handful of changes made. I plan on releasing a final version probably after proofs with the printers are done.

Unless you find something catastrophically wrong, it is in all likelihood not worth submitting it. The proofs are being made. 

I know many of you are just trying to help make the book better, but there is a point where we just have to call it a day.

The alternative is delaying the book X number of weeks or months, which at this point of diminishing returns on what is being reported just isn't worth it.

@Rick Meints , now that it's printed and shipping, please could you release the final PDF?

Thanks,
Charles

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

The issues most recently posted here seem to be fixed in both print and the PDF that I have so I think it's all good now.

I just tried download the PDF and it still doesn't seem to be updated. At least, the error that I use for reference to check is p. 154 and the sidebar overlaying the Zero Wane map. Are you seeing something different?

43 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Yes. I see no sidebar. 

I just pulled the current and latest revised version from Backerkit and it still shows the issue as attached (and presume it's the one that Steve notes).

Did you get your pdf off Backerkit or off the Chaosium site?

GSBp154.JPG