Strength in Encumbrance

Tywyll

Does Strength figure into encumbrance anywhere?

I've looked at the BRP versions I have at hand (BRP, RQ4, and MRQ) and the only one where it has an effect seems to be MRQ (though that is a Binary effect).

Does this bother anyone, that the strong guy is as hampered as the weak one? Shouldn't strength offset some of that?

The only Encumbrance system I can see in the new BRP is that Fatigue Points = STR + CON is reduced by Enc.

Quite simple and elegant in itself, but not applicable if you're wanting to use the "Simple Fatigue" system (roll CONx5 against being 'Fatigued' every so often), as I do, instead of counting FPs.

Personally, I'm more concerned SIZ doesn't come into it.

So I'm using a "Max Enc" limit proportional to SIZ x (STR + 10)/20 [x6 for standard Enc/kg, but I use x14 for weights in lbs]

Edited by frogspawner
added kg/lbs factor

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

It's not so much max encumbrance I'm worried about... It's more the idea that conan is as encumbered by a heavy sack as Poindexter the wizard. It just seems... off, you know?

Like there should be a level of enc a strong character can carry without suffering penalties or something.

There's no penalty until the FPs go below zero and, since they start at STR + CON, your Conan does have some advantage. I agree it doesn't seem enough though.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

So it does.

There's also skill modifiers for armour (and a consequent complication to exclude Armour-related Enc from the Dodge penalty, I now notice).

All a bit too fiddly for me - but at least STR is in there somewhere...

AN idea I am thinking about is applying a character7s Damage Modifer to Encumbrance. Rosen7s "free ENC" idea above would tie i nicely.

Maybe something like letting a character carry 5+max DB in ENC for free.

That way horses, elephants, and dragons, won't suffer quite as badlyfrom the increasing STR progression. And SIZ would factor in too.

It would keep mounts from "passing out" after carrying a armoed rider around on the battlefield for a couple of minutes.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.