Jump to content
kalidor

Are we there?

Recommended Posts

I'm pretty sure that as soon as they have a date they can be confident in, they will announce it!

The lack of an announcement indicates that certain "imponderables" remain, issues whose resolution they cannot reliably time.  The are, after all, the Chaosium not the Orderium...  ;-)

That said, it probably won't hurt anything to perform the incantation  "Ia! Ia! @Jason Durall"

  (note, I said probably

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once wrote a little comic.  The family is packing up from camping and heading home.  They pass a McBurgers and the kids in the back seat wake up sleepily "Are we there yet?"  "Not yet." the parents say.  Next frame they're driving past a ChickinRUs and the kids in the back seat wake up sleepily "Are we there yet?"  "Not yet." the parents say.  Next frame they drive past a Cow Queen Restaurant and the kids in the back seat wake up sleepily "Are we there yet?"  "Not yet." the parents say.

Last frame shows the car entering town.  The sign says "Welcome to Generica.  Population: Everybody"  And there's a McBurgers, a ChickinRUs and a Cow Queen and everybody in the car is cheering "We're HOME!"

This reminded me of that.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess they were struggling mightily to get it out the door in time for Gen Con but as g33k observed there are perhaps some unanticipated roadblocks.  My understanding is that the rules are done, and the last step they were in was layout which involves commissioning art...which can always be a tricky process, as artists have a famous disregard for mundanities like schedules and deadlines.

 

Not blaming artists, btw, just commenting that phase very often takes longer than schedulers would like to allow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, styopa said:

I'd guess they were struggling mightily to get it out the door in time for Gen Con but as g33k observed there are perhaps some unanticipated roadblocks.  My understanding is that the rules are done, and the last step they were in was layout which involves commissioning art...which can always be a tricky process, as artists have a famous disregard for mundanities like schedules and deadlines.

Not blaming artists, btw, just commenting that phase very often takes longer than schedulers would like to allow.

Previously, they were aiming for a the Summer 'Con Season -- GenCon (or maybe Origins).  But sometimes Stuff Happens...  and sho'nuff, Stuff Happened.  They managed only to get an art-free / un-laid-out "draft complete" book ready in time for GenCon.  Then they hoped to finish art & layout in time for the holiday shopping season.  But more Happenings (maybe a new motto for them:  "Chaosium.  We're the Happening Place!") .

I believe the FreeRPGday & Gen-Con demo-feedback (plus feedback from the GenCon "Draft-Complete" rules they sold @ the 'Con) got them to revise their "complete" draft; I don't know if that called for the new stuff to get another pass through playtesting or not.  This revision was, I suppose, another Happening.

I also believe (but am NOT certain) that Chaosium policy has most or all of the art complete (or nearing completion) before they go to Layout. But "Layout" itself is actually QUITE time-consuming -- months (not days/weeks), for a large volume AFAIK.  I don't resent this time... the quality of nuChaosium releases tends toward the better end of the spectrum!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Chaosium: It's called the Second LAW of Thermodynamics for a reason"

2 hours ago, g33k said:

 But "Layout" itself is actually QUITE time-consuming -- months (not days/weeks), for a large volume AFAIK. 

You're not kidding.

Bad layout, frex the lack of an index, can KILL an otherwise solid game.  It seem unfair, but usability is part & parcel of your game; if people can't FIND your clever mechanics when they need them, they won't keep trying forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, styopa said:

Bad layout, frex the lack of an index, can KILL an otherwise solid game.  It seem unfair, but usability is part & parcel of your game; if people can't FIND your clever mechanics when they need them, they won't keep trying forever.

I was thinking more along the lines of widows & orphans, ragged margins, tables /art / box-text / etc that wander off of their relevant pages, etc etc etc.

I think of a good index as it's OWN whole separate thing... see page XX for an example of what I mean!

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be completely wrong and I do not presume to know how Chaosium are thinking , but if I were Chaosium I would not announce RQG until 13G has been out in print for a week or two. My basic reasoning would be that each Gloranthan rpg deserves its moment in the spotlight.

But again, I might be completely wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RQG is in layout. We do not have a definite "for sale" date. If we did, we would be announcing it far and wide.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, kalidor said:

How much longer to get RQG in PDF?

We're working daily on it. I hate to give a date only to be wrong, but layout is roaring. 

This is a very nice-looking book, and certain chapters such as adventurer generation and combat take a lot of work, with all of the tables. 

 

On 3/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, g33k said:

The lack of an announcement indicates that certain "imponderables" remain, issues whose resolution they cannot reliably time.  The are, after all, the Chaosium not the Orderium...  ;-)

As noted above, giving a specific date is a prescription to be wrong. But "not that much longer" is a safe estimation. 

 

On 3/11/2018 at 3:35 PM, styopa said:

I'd guess they were struggling mightily to get it out the door in time for Gen Con but as g33k observed there are perhaps some unanticipated roadblocks.  My understanding is that the rules are done, and the last step they were in was layout which involves commissioning art...which can always be a tricky process, as artists have a famous disregard for mundanities like schedules and deadlines.

Art is 99% done. I think we're waiting for an adjustment to a map and a sidebar header. To be honest, the winter convention season hit us hard, and there was this other sourcebook we squeezed into the schedule before RuneQuest... 

 

On 3/11/2018 at 11:54 PM, g33k said:

I believe the FreeRPGday & Gen-Con demo-feedback (plus feedback from the GenCon "Draft-Complete" rules they sold @ the 'Con) got them to revise their "complete" draft; I don't know if that called for the new stuff to get another pass through playtesting or not.  This revision was, I suppose, another Happening.

Not so much, as it happens. The clarifications that came up with the FRPG Day Quickstart had already been addressed in the manuscript. We got some useful feedback from the ashcan version, but ultimately we weren't releasing and waiting... editing and revisions were ongoing, and will probably be ongoing (but tapering) until we send in the last print proof signoff. 

 

13 hours ago, smiorgan said:

I may be completely wrong and I do not presume to know how Chaosium are thinking , but if I were Chaosium I would not announce RQG until 13G has been out in print for a week or two. My basic reasoning would be that each Gloranthan rpg deserves its moment in the spotlight.

But again, I might be completely wrong.

While it's probably good form to not steal one game's thunder with an announcement about a second with an overlapping fan base, but to be clear, we're going to announce the  RuneQuest .pdf's availability as soon as it's possible. :) 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Jason Durall said:

We're working daily on it. I hate to give a date only to be wrong, but layout is roaring. 

This is a very nice-looking book, and certain chapters such as adventurer generation and combat take a lot of work, with all of the tables. 

 

As noted above, giving a specific date is a prescription to be wrong. But "not that much longer" is a safe estimation. 

 

Art is 99% done. I think we're waiting for an adjustment to a map and a sidebar header. To be honest, the winter convention season hit us hard, and there was this other sourcebook we squeezed into the schedule before RuneQuest... 

 

Not so much, as it happens. The clarifications that came up with the FRPG Day Quickstart had already been addressed in the manuscript. We got some useful feedback from the ashcan version, but ultimately we weren't releasing and waiting... editing and revisions were ongoing, and will probably be ongoing (but tapering) until we send in the last print proof signoff. 

 

While it's probably good form to not steal one game's thunder with an announcement about a second with an overlapping fan base, but to be clear, we're going to announce the  RuneQuest .pdf's availability as soon as it's possible. :) 

 

Thanks :) We are eager to read it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jon Hunter said:

Can you even say are we looking at less than 3 months, 3 -6 months, 6 months + ?

I presume the "prescription to be wrong" would apply to any specific time-frame, not just a specific date.    :D

That said... I too am (perhaps overly) eager to get my hands on this!   :wacko:    Wanna go halfsies with me on hiring Whteye's gang to steal a latest draft of RQG?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, g33k said:

I'm pretty sure that as soon as they have a date they can be confident in, they will announce it!

The lack of an announcement indicates that certain "imponderables" remain, issues whose resolution they cannot reliably time.  The are, after all, the Chaosium not the Orderium...  ;-)

That said, it probably won't hurt anything to perform the incantation  "Ia! Ia! @Jason Durall"

  (note, I said probably

 

As Jason said, layout is preceding forward every day. And so far the book is looking even better than 7th edition Cthulhu. It is shaping up to be the best looking book Chaosium has ever done.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

As Jason said, layout is preceding forward every day. And so far the book is looking even better than 7th edition Cthulhu. It is shaping up to be the best looking book Chaosium has ever done.

Yeah, whet my appetite ... :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeff said:

As Jason said, layout is preceding forward every day. And so far the book is looking even better than 7th edition Cthulhu. It is shaping up to be the best looking book Chaosium has ever done.

I need a "drooling with need" emoji... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 1:28 PM, smiorgan said:

My basic reasoning would be that each Gloranthan rpg deserves its moment in the spotlight.

If you want everyone to have their time in the spotlight, that's what Gumshoe is for. Roll a d100 for the number of months until it comes out!

Seriously. Tables. I actually had a job at a lab just typesetting tables for publications. It's irritating, time consuming, and dull as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2018 at 6:16 PM, Jeff said:

As Jason said, layout is preceding forward every day. And so far the book is looking even better than 7th edition Cthulhu. It is shaping up to be the best looking book Chaosium has ever done

Funny coming back to RPGs after a very long time out - This is quite possibly the realisation of my ultimate teenage RPG dream. Can’t wait to see this...Seems I timed my return to RPG games perfectly. Not many game companies can make grown adults squeal with excitement. Hats off to Chaosium :)  

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

I guess the new cover must be done by now...

Yes. We'll be showing it off soon enough.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Yes. We'll be showing it off soon enough.

<looks around>

<doesn't see the cover>

It's NOT soon enough.

:D

 

(mostly, I'm mocking myself (and other too-eager fans) here; but "eager" is too pallid a word, not capturing our collective frothing madness...)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 4:10 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

I guess the new cover must be done by now...

New?  I'd assumed it was going to be essentially the same art that was covering RQG - that was really a lovely homage to Louise, and it remains a clever bit of continuity from edition to edition.

So cool - more new art.  Always happy with that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×