huh... just noticed A Thing

g33k

So...

I have long presumed that Cthulhu profits are the core of the Chaosium business; that -- beloved though they are -- Runequest & Glorantha (and all the other lines, including card-games, etc) are simply too small to keep Chaosium going... at least, not at the scale they are going.

There is the Cult of Chaos (organized play aka "demo monkey" program), which AFAIK nominally allows RQ/HQ/Glorantha content, but ... well, there's not much THERE there, for non-CoC stuff.  I understand that Chaosium INTENDS to have ths stuff in place... eventually...  

I recently looked at the number-of-articles in each AbChaos since nuChaosium re-started that irregularity, and simply counting titles-of-articles it's clear where Chaosium is putting (the majority of) its energy.

Good lord, just look at the number of 3rd-party licensees & products for each line... it's clear where the buying public is putting (the majority of) its energy money, so I'm not criticizing Chaosium!   ;)

So I'm pretty confident in my presumption.

But then I noticed something here on BRPCentral...

• Glorantha forum - 15K posts
  • Runequest forum - 9K posts
  • Cthulhu forum - 4K posts

And I had a hard WTF moment:  why does the RQ/Glorantha community have so much more ardent activity, but so much less in inclination to buy stuff, than CoC ???

Edited by g33k
thinko

C'es ne pas un .sig

The reason is probably that this is the place for discussing the setting for Glorantha, but only a place to discuss the Cthulhu Mythos.

And some people just throw out more posts than others, but still will only buy one or two copies.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

It's also easy to skew the figures. I was able to create 1500 posts by starting the Guide to Glorantha group read. In a couple of months that swelled the numbers. Once RQG comes out, I would expect to see a massive increase there.

CoC is clearly the number one seller for Chaosium and until its reboot it looked like it was its only major product line. BRP and its spinoffs were never huge . Remember that RQ hasn't been in-house since Mongoose got the licence, likewise HeroQuest belongs to Moon Design (as does runequest). It's only now with MD jump starting Chaosium that these products are back in the same house and that old lines are appearing such as board games. We'll have to wait and see what effect that has on popularity of the games especially with new product on the horizon. I hope to see an expansion in discussion in these forums.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 3/21/2018 at 6:48 AM, David Scott said:

It's also easy to skew the figures. I was able to create 1500 posts by starting the Guide to Glorantha group read. In a couple of months that swelled the numbers. Once RQG comes out, I would expect to see a massive increase there.

CoC is clearly the number one seller for Chaosium and until its reboot it looked like it was its only major product line. BRP and its spinoffs were never huge . Remember that RQ hasn't been in-house since Mongoose got the licence, likewise HeroQuest belongs to Moon Design (as does runequest). It's only now with MD jump starting Chaosium that these products are back in the same house and that old lines are appearing such as board games. We'll have to wait and see what effect that has on popularity of the games especially with new product on the horizon. I hope to see an expansion in discussion in these forums.

The thing that had confused me wasn't an IP-ownership issue but fan-involvement.  I had presumed that "BRP Central" was the central spot where most fans congregated for most iterations of the extended BRP family; and the low post-count for CoC confused me until Joerg kindly slapped me in the face with my glaring oversight.    :D

C'es ne pas un .sig

Another thought is that I think Cthulhu may be one of those area where players who don't GM (Keeper) may prefer not to read to avoid spoilers.

People are often happy to discuss a fantasy world (or science fiction universe) whether they GM or not - knowing more usually just adds colour to the game.  But with CoC the basic wolrd is our own history, so a good library or bookshop is a better place to add depth to the world and characters. All we can really discuss here is the Mythos (and whether we accept what other authors have tried to do to it).  Now whilst I quite like reading Lovecraft, I don't GM CoC, I only play it (which is more than I currently manage to do for Glorantha) so I avoid the CoC forum here becasue I don't think there is much that I can learn that I want to know...

Edited by Khedrac