Here's the new (and final) logo for RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha

MOB

1 hour ago, goal:dilmun said:

The RQ- lettering looks really bad. The font is ugly and the gradient coloring makes it look cheap and homemade.

The two that Mankham mentions above is by far the best ones, in my opionion, though I like the first one, the one that wasn't used, the best. It's fantastic actually. The only things that doesn't work well on that one are the runes and the subtitle, but that could have been solved.

The new one works well. Very concise and  functional.

5ab24fda45631_RQforFBcover.png.af2ea11b3

However I am coming to the conclusion that the one which was never used is perhaps the best. 

It references RQ3 as well as referencing the RQ2 lettering on the hardcover edition (on the book itself, not the dustjacket)

It has a great fantasy flavour for me. Would really look great embossed in silver or gold on a hard cover

rqlogo9.png?t=1521627392

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

The new one works well. Very concise and  functional.

5ab24fda45631_RQforFBcover.png.af2ea11b3

However I am coming to the conclusion that the one which was never used is perhaps the best. 

It references RQ3 as well as referencing the RQ2 lettering on the hardcover edition (on the book itself, not the dustjacket)

It has a great fantasy flavour for me. Would really look great embossed in silver or gold on a hard cover

rqlogo9.png?t=1521627392

I might have been a bit too harsh in my wording. The final one works ok. It's just not great. Anyway, I really think it would look better with just a solid fill color and a darker outline, like the CoC logo. If the plan is to go with clean and functional, that's a style that would sell that idea a lot better. But I'm not a designer, so I might be wrong.

3 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Um... Really?

I like the layout, the color works on a black background. And should work on a book cover if it is a black cover. Over a piece of artwork without a background (going from tradition here) not so much.

And the main title font... you need a new font.

SDLeary

We have differently colored variants of it, for all cover treatments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, goal:dilmun said:

I might have been a bit too harsh in my wording. The final one works ok. It's just not great. Anyway, I really think it would look better with just a solid fill color and a darker outline, like the CoC logo. If the plan is to go with clean and functional, that's a style that would sell that idea a lot better. But I'm not a designer, so I might be wrong.

Here's the thing. The RuneQuest logo needs to be readable on the spine of the book. Ideally, at a distance. 

The one we didn't use (with the ornate scrollwork at top and bottom) is too thick vertically for easy placement. So you have to remove the runes and the red designwork to make it fit. At that point, it's another Celtic uncial title, which we were not thrilled with. 

• Like 4

Just now, Jason Durall said:

Here's the thing. The RuneQuest logo needs to be readable on the spine of the book. Ideally, at a distance. 

The one we didn't use (with the ornate scrollwork at top and bottom) is too thick vertically for easy placement. So you have to remove the runes and the red designwork to make it fit. At that point, it's another Celtic uncial title, which we were not thrilled with. 

Ah. Well. Irrefutable point.

@Jason Durall's design notes are excellent and leads us through the complex array of historical design and current thinking. I look forward to the complete cover as currently this has the feeling of watching someone choosing a hat to wear. You'd look better in that old hat, new hat, a different hat, a hat my mother had, a different material, it looks like this hat, you don't want a hat you want a scarf, my hat is nicer than your hat, etc. The complete outfit is what I want (at some point). It will undoubtedly be eye catching, have a name badge identifying the authors and a Chaosium brooch and most will buy it anyway even if it had a unicorn hat.

5ab38598f20e5_ScreenShot2018-03-22at10_29_03.png.4854f0487028974e3cb30b2819aa4c0e.png

(apologies for not using the new logo, it didn't fit in with my unicorn theme and I couldn't find a pink Chaosium logo)

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

20 minutes ago, David Scott said:

@Jason Durall's design notes are excellent and leads us through the complex array of historical design and current thinking. I look forward to the complete cover as currently this has the feeling of watching someone choosing a hat to wear. You'd look better in that old hat, new hat, a different hat, a hat my mother had, a different material, it looks like this hat, you don't want a hat you want a scarf, my hat is nicer than your hat, etc. The complete outfit is what I want (at some point). It will undoubtedly be eye catching, have a name badge identifying the authors and a Chaosium brooch and most will buy it anyway even if it had a unicorn hat.

5ab38598f20e5_ScreenShot2018-03-22at10_29_03.png.4854f0487028974e3cb30b2819aa4c0e.png

(apologies for not using the new logo, it didn't fit in with my unicorn theme and I couldn't find a pink Chaosium logo)

You can always make a dustcover for RQG of your liking, if you don´t like what the final RQG logo will look like. Even a unicorn cover with a pink RQ logo! :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Durall said:

I would honestly rather not see one. 

Yes, fair enough, it would just be chaos heh heh

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

2 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

At that point, it's another Celtic uncial title, which we were not thrilled with.

Yes agreed  too generic, and wrong feel for RuneQuest Glorantha.

This new logo has character for me. It shirks the generic fantasy feel, and brings something distinctive to the table.  I really like how it works with the runes and contrasting lettering underneath too. I think the designer has achieved a good characterful balance....I’m so pleased Chaosium didn’t stick with the last logo. This does RuneQuest much more justice. 

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

Who showed you that?!? ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

I would honestly rather not see one. 

Was just going to say the same thing.

I understand in 2018 the idea of a poll seems like a good idea, but this is a flagship brand for the company.  That's not something you really want to the "Boaty McBoatface" internet voters.

I could certainly see opening it up for submissions, with the winner signing over all rights in exchange for a free copy of the rules or something.

But the company and it's management would need to OWN the choice, not vote for it.  Too serious a thing.

• Like 1

rqglogo.png?t=1502645266Personally,

I really prefer the recent rocking Logo (up there)...
The design is more modern, a better use of lightning and relief but there is still a "old school" feeling. In comparison, the new choosen one feel dull mainly because the blend of yellow-white to yellow combined with another yellow border is poor in term of contrast. The font use is too smooth for such colors choice which could be more effective with the font use for the sub-title
But if you tweak the colors, you found out that the problem is not necessarily the Fonts (Which I don't like) nor the simplicity of the design (I don't like it either).

Not so bad with a Simple Color inverted wich create a darker borderline and a sunset type colour blend ! ...
5ab3e300d1682_RQNewLogo(inverted).jpg.a5736ba39d3a019858d58504d7679e2a.jpg

And With any other Colors... it's still OK...(I could even say it's great :p)
5ab3e2ffd247c_RQNewLogo(RedGreenBlue).jpg.a9107a4845a9a3c608e8f182fb8e5c52.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, styopa said:

I understand in 2018 the idea of a poll seems like a good idea, but this is a flagship brand for the company.  That's not something you really want to the "Boaty McBoatface" internet voters.

Haha! I just saw this as I was scrolling down the page. 

Pick one: 

a ) Great minds think alike. 

b ) Fools run in the same circles. 

9 hours ago, David Scott said:

Oh man.  Now I want this so bad.

There's a glaring fault, however.  One of those duelling figures needs two horns.  How will we know it's a broo otherwise?

The other figure needs a glowing star on its arse. :)  (Is there a rune for "pony"?)

Hmm ... Hasbro's RuneQuest ... Magic is Forever.

Edited by BWP

"I want to decide who lives and who dies."

Bruce Probst

Melbourne, Australia

5 hours ago, styopa said:

Was just going to say the same thing.

I could certainly see opening it up for submissions, with the winner signing over all rights in exchange for a free copy of the rules or something.

But the company and it's management would need to OWN the choice, not vote for it.  Too serious a thing.

I actually suggested a poll in jest, hence the  'smiley face' to hopefully convey that.

I think they tend to be useless for these things, but they show up all the time in forums 

Edited by Mankcam