I have an unfinished manuscript of 17th century Paris (detailed at length) and notes on the Mythos - i.e., the Cultes des Ghoules, Borellius, Averoigne, the Affair of the Poisons (and the Three Musketeers) I had in my files. I'm planning on finishing it up for the Repository.

(I do have the new Reign of Terror book, of course)

Some questions: Does this spark any interest?

Also if you want to share any useful ideas or suggestions, and are content with a thank you in the pdf, feel free to message me or post here...

Would definitively be interested in that setting.  Would you be including any “Pulp Cthulhu” type additions for a more 3 Musketeers/ Swashbuckling feel (possibly optional), or keeping it very “purist” around the horror and deprivation in the time?

1 hour ago, Grey said:

Would definitively be interested in that setting.  Would you be including any “Pulp Cthulhu” type additions for a more 3 Musketeers/ Swashbuckling feel (possibly optional), or keeping it very “purist” around the horror and deprivation in the time?

Well, my current draft is more the latter, but I do have a sketch of fencing rules worked out. Perhaps I will (a la Trail) include notes for a "Purist" versus a "Swashbuckling" approach. Swords will still be useless against a Dark Young, I'm afraid...

Swords against dark young...lol!  Some appropriate pulp talents etc could make for a fun addition (for us musketeeres/ Alatriste fans), but interested to see what intrigues you have thought up for this! And curious about fencing rules ideas.

Edited by Grey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When I was taking a break from working on the contractual book I spent a little while consolidating my notes for this thing. 120 pages currently...

I noticed that in Shadows of Yog-Sothoth that the earliest incarnation of the Silver Twilight was founded in 1657 in France (presumably Paris), and Anne de Chantraine was an early leader (Carl followed a decade or two later). The cult had to leave France for England at some point before the 1700s, and the Affair of the Poisons seems a very likely point for that to happen.

So... besides D'Erlette's Ghoul cult, we have a hermetic-styled organization, possibly called the La pénombre argente...

On 3/21/2018 at 6:48 PM, jeffjerwin said:

Some questions: Does this spark any interest?

Very interested, but more for 17th Century Paris, and your fencing rules than for Mythos/Horror game. 

But, on a Mythos bent, France has the Templars, the Cathars and the Huguenots, and in a Mythos setting, who knows what any of those groups were really up to, or if they were really wiped out or just went underground.  

Don't suppose you could drop a hint about the fencing rules?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

8 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Very interested, but more for 17th Century Paris, and your fencing rules than for Mythos/Horror game. 

But, on a Mythos bent, France has the Templars, the Cathars and the Huguenots, and in a Mythos setting, who knows what any of those groups were really up to, or if they were really wiped out or just went underground.  

Don't suppose you could drop a hint about the fencing rules?

The fencing [autocorrect wanted me to write dancing, which is an interesting notion] rules are still being fiddled with...

I really have two choices: abstracted and dice-based with a few special moves... or detailed with hidden moves, perhaps selected out of a hand of cards.

If I use the latter, there would be opportunities for the defender to intuit (look at) the face-down hidden choices and thus respond with their own selection, rather than guess.

However, this may be too much for a BRP-based game. If I go abstracted, we would end up with attack %, rules for strike rank, and lunge and riposte.

1 hour ago, jeffjerwin said:

The fencing [autocorrect wanted me to write dancing, which is an interesting notion] rules are still being fiddled with...

Yes it is, considering how important footwork is. I watched something the other day that claimed the best dancers made the best swordsmen. 

I really have two choices: abstracted and dice-based with a few special moves... or detailed with hidden moves, perhaps selected out of a hand of cards.

Do both. A Basic and Advanced version. That way you can appeal to both kinds of fans. Oh, and you won't get pestered to see "the other" fencing system.

If I use the latter, there would be opportunities for the defender to intuit (look at) the face-down hidden choices and thus respond with their own selection, rather than guess.

However, this may be too much for a BRP-based game. If I go abstracted, we would end up with attack %, rules for strike rank, and lunge and riposte.

Flashing Blades were similar to BRP, and it used a guess method. You would write down what move you thought the other guy was doing and got a bonus if you guessed right. Doing that with cards would be an improvement. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

Autocorrect is funny, maybe it was a fan of the Sid Myers Pirates game from a few (ok so 14...) years ago. The dancing mini-game was an important skill to master if you wanted to make any headway in the social world of the game. 

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Flashing Blades were similar to BRP, and it used a guess method. You would write down what move you thought the other guy was doing and got a bonus if you guessed right. Doing that with cards would be an improvement. 

Some sort of betting system could work there. Maybe something like offer a fraction of your skill, the success adds a bonus (x2,x3 etc based on level of success) to the wagered skill, failure and you lose the amount of skill wagered for that attack. The wager would represent the aggressiveness / creativity of the attack. The tricky part is how to make the wager system interesting.

I don't have much experience with games that made fencing fun and different from the typical roll to hit / roll to parry, but it really should be if it is going to represent the fiction. Fencing in fiction is almost always at least a little over the top.  

Edited by Toadmaster
  • Thanks 1

My Rolemaster supplement "At Rapier's Point" gives a rundown of people, politics, culture and events in 17th century France and England.  No Mythos connection but there's plenty going on to keep investigators busy.

Best fencing rules I've encountered are Hero System's martial arts adaptation.

1 hour ago, seneschal said:

My Rolemaster supplement "At Rapier's Point" gives a rundown of people, politics, culture and events in 17th century France and England.  No Mythos connection but there's plenty going on to keep investigators busy.

Hey, I got that! I also have a half dozen other Swashbuckling related RPG books. IMO ICE's best books were their setting books. They proved very useful to me, although, usually for RPGs other than RoleMaster. Oddly enough. most of their setting books worked better for HERO than for RoleMaster. 

1 hour ago, seneschal said:

Best fencing rules I've encountered are Hero System's martial arts adaptation.

You mean the Fencing Style of martial arts in HERO's Martial Arts rules? They did integrate well with HERO, system they were built as standard combat maneuvers.

A wager system sounds very plausible. Certainly gambling and sword-fighting are two mainstays of these stories...

I currently have for reference:

En Garde

Flashing Blades

At Rapier's Points (good job, seneschal!)

GURPS Swashbucklers

Lace & Steel (which is really good)

Alatriste

Te Deum pour une massacre

Mousquetaires et Sorcellerie [in Casus Belli hors-série 21]

Edited by jeffjerwin

• 5 months later...