RQG - Where we are. And the new cover.

MOB

In our last update, Jason revealed the new RuneQuest logo, and the process we went through to get there; in our newest Design Note, here it is on the cover of the book itself, with amazing art by Andrey Fetisov!

Jeff also details where we are with the whole RQG project. Well worth a read...

https://www.chaosium.com/blogdesigning-the-new-runequest-part-23/

cover-mock-up-for-rqg-smaller.jpeg?t=152

(please note, the cover is still a work-in-progress!)

Edited by MOB
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I've been loving the homage pieces to the old cover, and an emotional bit off me wishes it had continued.

But I this is a strong cover, and I expect it will attract eyes & new customers; and none of the grognards will skip it just because there's no female-fighter facing a rock-lizard / slarge / etc.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I've been loving the homage pieces to the old cover, and an emotional bit off me wishes it had continued.

But I this is a strong cover, and I expect it will attract eyes & new customers; and none of the grognards will skip it just because there's no female-fighter facing a rock-lizard / slarge / etc.

They said the person on Orlanth's left is her.

• Like 1

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

That's the rock-lizard killer there—she's a Wind Lord now:

5ab43b7e53795_ScreenShot2018-03-23at10_24_56am.png.d3a8b73afbc42b0146130612d0e56230.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MOB said:

That's the rock-lizard killer there—she's a Wind Lord now:

5ab43b7e53795_ScreenShot2018-03-23at10_24_56am.png.d3a8b73afbc42b0146130612d0e56230.png

Oh, yeah, I know.  It was, I presume, another version of this piece where this was discussed previously.

But as a cover, it is completely different.  The "hero" of the piece is Orlanth.  Having the female fighter vs. rock-lizard was something I really liked on my RQ2 cover (and miss in this cover).

Not a big deal, and I'm still shoving money at you as soon as you let me.

You can't cater to every teensy whim of the 35-40-year grognards...

... even if my lumbago's just KILLING me an' it shooooore woulda been nice t' see th' ol' gel bein' heroic one... last... time... afore I go...   *gasp*wheeze*cough* ...

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Are they floating in the clouds, climbing down a particularly rugged mountainside, or a little of both?  I can't tell.  But it certainly is a dramatic scene.  Looks like you'd need a pair of insulated gloves to shake hands with Mister Blue.  I mean, he would be willing to shake hands, wouldn't he?

1 minute ago, seneschal said:

Are they floating in the clouds, climbing down a particularly rugged mountainside, or a little of both?  I can't tell.  But it certainly is a dramatic scene.  Looks like you'd need a pair of insulated gloves to shake hands with Mister Blue.  I mean, he would be willing to shake hands, wouldn't he?

It's actually a link to a pretty big image.  It's clear they are walking down out of clouds (or smoke or something; but Orlanth, so storm-clouds).

C'es ne pas un .sig

Oh... also:  BITCHEN update !!!!   23rd-and-final "Designing the new RQ" blog post.  LOADS of info, late-stage and thus highly reliable as to content.

Thanks for being upfront about not committing to any timetable; I entirely support your "Doing it until it's done" attitude.

TYVM Jeff!  Now suatmm !

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 minutes ago, g33k said:

One mod I'd like to see is to have most of the background figures a bit lighter

I'd say no on that.  First, it would take away from the RQ title.  Second, the important figures are the 6 (the pre-gens) and Orlanth - any others are distracting and likely irrelevant.

• MOB pinned and featured this topic

I'm no RQ expert, but isn't the movement rune on Orlanth's shoulder ( if it is the movement rune ) spinning the wrong way around ?

Otherwise, fantastic cover and new logo ( but I think the logo needs something to make it pop off the cover art a bit - maybe a small dropshadow, or very thin black outline ? )

Edited by groovyclam

15 minutes ago, groovyclam said:

I'm no RQ expert, but isn't the movement rune on Orlanth's shoulder ( if it is the movement rune ) spinning the wrong way around ?

It seems so, as the one under the RuneQuest title spins the other way around. :)

3 hours ago, Mugen said:

It seems so, as the one under the RuneQuest title spins the other way around. :)

You guys are aware that most runes can be displayed in either direction (pretty standard for these sorts of glyphs). I even have a page of stuff from Greg showing the runes forward and reversed. In text, we use a uniform look for the runes, but in illustrations of people's tattoos, these can go whatever direction the artist likes. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You guys are aware that most runes can be displayed in either direction (pretty standard for these sorts of glyphs).

After the unfortunate real world history of the swastika, it is fairly natural for us to be somewhat concerned, so it is good to have this as an official statement. Might be even better to have it stated in an official publication presenting the runes - if that is too late for the Glorantha Sourcebook, maybe in RQG.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

You guys are aware that most runes can be displayed in either direction (pretty standard for these sorts of glyphs). I even have a page of stuff from Greg showing the runes forward and reversed. In text, we use a uniform look for the runes, but in illustrations of people's tattoos, these can go whatever direction the artist likes. 

I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of us assumed that they had a correct position. It's probably not that important though.