Jump to content
trystero

Chaosium dragon logo flopped on BIG RUBBLE - any reason?

Recommended Posts

I've just noticed, glancing up at my shelf of RQ2 and other Chaosium "big box" releases, that while the Chaosium dragon logo typically faces to the left, BIG RUBBLE and RINGWORLD both have it facing to the right instead.

Wondering whether this was intended to mean something or whether it's just a random production glitch or oddity.

 

20180403_174417.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<drools quietly>

Uhhhh ... Massachusetts, you say?   What was the street address, again?  And which is the game-room where this shelf sits????

 

 

... hmmmm.  And can I afford to hire enough Trollkin Ninja's to pull off the heist...

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone's trying to find out if he has collectors items....

 

I can't imagine a set of gaming books/boxes looking so pristine...mine are "well loved".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, styopa said:

Someone's trying to find out if he has collectors items....

Honestly, that hadn't even occurred to me; I'm assuming all copies of BIG RUBBLE and RINGWORLD have the same logo orientation. I just wondered whether there was a story behind these two reversed-logo releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argh, how is your deep-box-edition of CoC so pristine? Mine is in tatters, and it's still one of my favourite items...

My Ringworld has the same reversed logo, though I don't have a Big Rubble box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, oneira said:

Argh, how is your deep-box-edition of CoC so pristine? Mine is in tatters, and it's still one of my favourite items...

It appears to have a spell of preservation on it.

They used to be pretty easy to manage, but these days it's TOUGH to find 101 virgins on their thrice-seventh (21st) birthdays.  Kudo's to Trystero for going that extra mile!   :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2-inch RQ2 box is in tatters (I still have the individual pieces though!) and my copy of Borderlands isn't much better.  Many of my other Chaosium boxes show varying levels of stress.  I used to think it was just the Chaosium boxes but on reflection many of my other boxed RPGs show similar deterioration (most of the 1-inch Avalon Hill RQ3 boxes are still in pretty good nick though).  So either (a) game boxes are not really built for the abuse that gamers hurl at them; or (b) I'm a bad person who can't look after his games properly.  Hmm.

Oh, and yes: my copies of Big Rubble and Ringworld have the same reversed wyrm.

 

Edited by BWP
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BWP said:

My 2-inch RQ2 box is in tatters (I still have the individual pieces though!) and my copy of Borderlands isn't much better.  Many of my other Chaosium boxes show varying levels of stress.  I used to think it was just the Chaosium boxes but on reflection many of my other boxed RPGs show similar deterioration (most of the 1-inch Avalon Hill RQ3 boxes are still in pretty good nick though).  So either (a) game boxes are not really built for the abuse that gamers hurl at them; or (b) I'm a bad person who can't look after his games properly.  Hmm.

Oh, and yes: my copies of Big Rubble and Ringworld have the same reversed wyrm.

 

Better the box than the books.  I used to carry whatever I would be using for that day's game in a backpack, which isn't going to treat boxes well.  I never cared about the boxes anyway; they, like the backpack, were there to protect the books, which were generally more susceptible.  I didn't buy games to collect them (then, anyway). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

Now if you have an intact copy of Griffin Mountain, I'll be really impressed (reversed wyrm or not).  I've never seen any other books disintegrate quite so spectacularly.

AH RQ3 rulebooks.

I can't believe anything could be more fragile-ly (?) constructed.  Has anyone played it and NOT lost the covers, in my case multiple times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

Now if you have an intact copy of Griffin Mountain, I'll be really impressed (reversed wyrm or not).  I've never seen any other books disintegrate quite so spectacularly.

Largely intact, though may be some loose pages.  That book got a LOT of wear and tear over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, styopa said:

AH RQ3 rulebooks.

I can't believe anything could be more fragile-ly (?) constructed.  Has anyone played it and NOT lost the covers, in my case multiple times?

Yes, cheap paper covers.  Despite 10 years of active play, mine do still have the covers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My worst disintegration of a book ever was my first King of Sartar paperback. The second one holds up quite well, however...

Of my Avalon Hill boxed sets, only the Cults Book of Gods of Glorantha and the Genertela Book have lost their covers.

For some unexplicable reason, my copy of Daughters of Darkness is still quite pristine... no charring yet, either.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

Now if you have an intact copy of Griffin Mountain, I'll be really impressed (reversed wyrm or not).  I've never seen any other books disintegrate quite so spectacularly.

My copy of GM is heavily worn, and very well-thumbed, and many of the pages are now coming loose (i.e., the binding is failing), but it took many years to get to that point.  I'm not inclined to complain.

Most of my RQ3 books are still OK, but that's largely because I either didn't make much use of them (Monster Coliseum, Vikings) or learned to take more care (Elder Secrets, Genertela).  My Gods of Glorantha main book had its cover separate early on in life.  The books in the Deluxe Box, on the other hand, only survive as well as they do because I took the precaution of covering them in clear plastic (doesn't do much to stop the covers from separating, though).

Of course, the "winner" is the softcover Deluxe compilation (the way it should have been issued in the first place ...).  Remove the plastic wrapping, open the book to the first page, and WHAM.  Every single page is now separated from the spine.  Just terrible production values on that one.  River of Cradles is almost as bad, although that turned out to be something of a virtue, since in my copy (not sure if it was a general problem or a one-off) the cult description pages were assembled in the wrong order.  Caused a lot of confusion on my first read-through!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alas, I doubt there is any significance to switching the way the logo faces. After all, we are the Chaosium, not the Orderium. 

As for production Quality on various bindings and such, glue binding always suffers the ravages of time the most and fastest. That is why we have all our hardcovers done with sewn binding now and we have mostly gone away from softcovers. 

As for what I feel was poorly bound, I slightly lean towards the GW RQ3 hardcovers. You hear that tragic crack when you open them and can only weep as the pages start dropping towards the floor. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

You hear that tragic crack when you open them and can only weep as the pages start dropping towards the floor. 

Which is why I only backed the Guide to Glorantha at PDF level - Not that the bindings are bad, I would just be too afraid to open the damn thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Alas, I doubt there is any significance to switching the way the logo faces. After all, we are the Chaosium, not the Orderium.  

This makes me desperately hope that the spine of RQG does something interesting & different, like flip the logo on its side so it's "upright" as you read the text on the spine...  :lol:

For very tiny values of "desperation" of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soltakss said:

the Guide to Glorantha at PDF level - Not that the bindings are bad, I would just be too afraid to open the damn thing.

The Guide is hardcover with sewn bindings - no issue opening it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

The Guide is hardcover with sewn bindings - no issue opening it at all.

It's the God-Learner CONTENT that's the problem, jajagappa!!!  Don't tell me you... actually OPEN your GtG books?

Egads, man!  If the True Dragons don't get you, Arkat will !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g33k said:

It's the God-Learner CONTENT that's the problem, jajagappa!!!  Don't tell me you... actually OPEN your GtG books?

Egads, man!  If the True Dragons don't get you, Arkat will !

The only problem with the GtG books is that they're so large it's hard to comfortably lay on the couch and read them.  They're huge and pretty but unwieldy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...