In the new era of RQG what aspects of Gloranthan would you like to see realised with new art work?

Impressed with the previews of RQG, heres a few things I'd like to see realised with the new generation of Gloranthan artists

1. Lunar cities & culture

2. Notchet

3. A variety of Sartar Orlanthi settlements (Not so keen on the viking/celt/saxxon look. The square house concept is more fitting with RQ2)

4. New evocative imagery of the Elder races. (Mostli, Aldryami, Trolls)  Love to see imagery from Biturian Varosh travels brought to life - Elves in their copper Armour etc

5. A strong grasp of the West its look and feel.

Not forgetting the obligatory action scene set pieces, these are just a few things I'd like to see depicted  in the new RQG era. What do others feel?

• Paid a bod yn dwp changed the title to In the new era of RQG what aspects of Gloranthan would you like to see realised with new art work?

Nochet's probably good odds, as well as Orlanthi village. Lunars: hopefully they're given as much substance as a dramatic foil as RQ's poster-child Orlanthi.  ;)

...as long as we're editorializing, I'd say that as much as it's given that making every fantasy-world culture an empty pastiche of a RW usually-European is dull and tiresome, I find wholesale retconning of decades of shared visualizations just as dull and tiresome - feels like just knee-jerking the other way for no better reasons. 

But back to your point: I don't think we're going to see much of anything about the west in RQG or early setting books.  Elder races *maybe* in passing, but as focused efforts probably are down around the West in the priority list. * I'm hoping both of them come too, but I've resigned myself that they won't be soon.    If they do come later, I hope that means they'll get much FULLER treatment than we've seen in products thus far.  (I believe some MRQ books were on Elves, etc but I haven't read them, not sure how useful they'd be or canonical they're considered.)

*Hey, they're both probably higher on that list than Kralorela or Pamaltela!  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, styopa said:

But back to your point: I don't think we're going to see much of anything about the west in RQG or early setting books.  Elder races *maybe* in passing

We've already seen 3 pics related to Vasana's saga, so if that carries through RQG, then odds are good that we'd see more to highlight different chapters.

I can't imagine that we wouldn't get some more of the Elder Races in the Bestiary.  And hopefully some other new creature-related art.

I'd certainly vote for some views/scenes in Nochet and the rest of the Holy Country. :-)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I'd certainly vote for some views/scenes in Nochet and the rest of the Holy Country. :-)

Yep Holy Country and lunar heartlands would be great.

Love to see a return to the Rubble and Pavis too. I think the Big Rubble has fantastic potential for spectacular artwork  - past achievments of a lost era in all its faded elegance.

18 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Yep Holy Country and lunar heartlands would be great.

Love to see a return to the Rubble and Pavis too. I think the Big Rubble has fantastic potential for spectacular artwork  - past achievments of a lost era in all its faded elegance.

I don't disagree with you in potential for artwork for Pavis/Big Rubble, but as gaming ground I'd love to see us touch some places we haven't heavily explored for nearly 40 years....

22 minutes ago, styopa said:

I don't disagree with you in potential for artwork for Pavis/Big Rubble, but as gaming ground I'd love to see us touch some places we haven't heavily explored for nearly 40 years....

Absolutely - Theres so much that has never really been explored visually in Glorantha, funny as its a fantasy world with such extraordinary rich potential. I have high hopes for RQG to rectify this.  The quality of artists and art direction we've seen in the previews has opened the door to great possibilities for RQG. Its been a while and I've a Gloranthan thirst that needs to be quenched :)

37 minutes ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Absolutely - Theres so much that has never really been explored visually in Glorantha, funny as its a fantasy world with such extraordinary rich potential. I have high hopes for RQG to rectify this.  The quality of artists and art direction we've seen in the previews has opened the door to great possibilities for RQG. Its been a while and I've a Gloranthan thirst that needs to be quenched :)

There was one supplement - I'm sure it was not a Chaosium product - that was IIRC set in Safelster or maybe Dart Wars Glamour?  Maybe by Role Aids? 

Honestly, I don't even recall if it was a RUNEQUEST product, I kind of think it was D&D?  But that stuck in my mind as one of the very, very few published non-Dragon Pass/Prax/Pavis canon regions.

Damn, now I probably have to go digging through the bookshelves in my attic for that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dimbyd said:

Jeff Richards is running a Big Rubble con game in a few weeks time,  and remember that RQ 2 and RQ3 material are very comparable with the new rules. 

That sounds great. Can’t really have RQG without Pavis & the big rubble - remains a rich & exciting place, so iconic and with a fresh new approach to RQG I can see it coming alive again in a big way . Fingers crossed other areas will be properly explored in the new edition too.  I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that a Notchet supplement is in the works? Ah the potential! 

On 09/04/2018 at 3:36 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Impressed with the previews of RQG, heres a few things I'd like to see realised with the new generation of Gloranthan artists

1. Lunar cities & culture

2. Notchet

3. A variety of Sartar Orlanthi settlements (Not so keen on the viking/celt/saxxon look. The square house concept is more fitting with RQ2)

4. New evocative imagery of the Elder races. (Mostli, Aldryami, Trolls)  Love to see imagery from Biturian Varosh travels brought to life - Elves in their copper Armour etc

5. A strong grasp of the West its look and feel.

Elders races and West are my favorites ... I've seen enough about orlanthi, lunars and Kethaela; Even if sometimes I really rediscover that central Genertela is way more vast than what I think (like the Celestine arena funeral by Pecadordelapradera : https://pecadordelapradera.deviantart.com/art/Celestine-arena-funeral-614306997

Even if it was out-of-canon, I really like the illustration from the Book of Glorious Joy and in particular the "Doctor Strange" look of Gaiseron the Mystic... XD. Sometime, I dream to see one day an illustration of Faulani, the Blue Fur Minotaur's Magical Gardian of Loskalm.

They are still some illustrations of west and elders races but I think a lot cool even if not really in the canon
-Merlkir style for Glorantha are one of my favorites... ( https://merlkir.deviantart.com/art/GtG-11-Elves-447047123 )
-Speaking of West, I also really like Akeiron's illustration for RQ italian edition ( https://akeiron.deviantart.com/art/Common-Magic-184892676 )
-The Arthurian/Medieval Knight of Jonhodgson  https://jonhodgson.deviantart.com/art/The-Book-of-Glorious-Joy-186584600

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Stands to reason that we need the obligatory big monster pic. Need a jaw dropping monster moment in the new RQG book 

Whoever drew the broo on the back of the Dorastor book would have my vote.

Sure, it's just 'dull' line drawing, but some of the best versions ever of one of the most evocative, characteristic monsters Glorantha provides.

• 4 weeks later...

After Jeff's improvised Melib game at Kraken 2015, I would really like to see that island developed. Small enough in geographic scope to give it a full gazetteer treatment, quite a few different local and immigrant cultures to choose characters and NPCs from, lots of history, and involved in two of the great journey arcs of the Hero Wars (Harrek and Gebel). What more to ask for?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The art work i've seen so far for RQG has blown me away. I really like how a story is being told as we journey with the example characters. Such a more rewarding way of showing us Glorantha. Big impact moments like the funeral pyre atop Boldhome, wonderfully realised by the artist...More!!!

The map of Clear wine is just brilliant, looking forward to having other examples from Dragon Pass illustrated, small and large settlements, including the Orlanthi further away from the more civilised settlements ( if there is a significant difference?).