Stormbringer 6th, without the Young Kingdoms?

Thot

Yes, I am aware of Magic World.

But why not use the exceedingly cool name of Stormbringer (which is a Chaosium property, am I right?) along with its established game mechanics, but make a new fantasy world for it that catches some of the feel? Maybe even hint at this world being some kind of refuge for some of the people that lived by the end of the Young Kingdoms without naming them explicitly.

Make a map with a mediterranean-sizes sea navigable by galleys, a few islands, one of which being in the center of it... place "chaos elves" on one, even more evil chaotic humans on another, and lots of more or less neutral peoples (not necessarily all human) around that, add some mysterious places... wouldn't that work well for a new Stormbringer?

28 minutes ago, Thot said:

Yes, I am aware of Magic World.

But why not use the exceedingly cool name of Stormbringer (which is a Chaosium property, am I right?) along with its established game mechanics, but make a new fantasy world for it that catches some of the feel? Maybe even hint at this world being some kind of refuge for some of the people that lived by the end of the Young Kingdoms without naming them explicitly.

Pretty sure that would count as a derivative work of Moorcock's IP and thus  open Chaosium up to all sorts of legal hassle in many jurisdictions. It would use both a highly recognizable name and  large scale ideas from MM's work.

28 minutes ago, Thot said:

Make a map with a mediterranean-sizes sea navigable by galleys, a few islands, one of which being in the center of it... place "chaos elves" on one, even more evil chaotic humans on another, and lots of more or less neutral peoples (not necessarily all human) around that, add some mysterious places... wouldn't that work well for a new Stormbringer?

Fond as I was of Stormbinger back in the day, I struggle to see how this would in anyway be a viable product - it sounds like a blatant attempt to use Moorcock's ideas / IP without getting permission / a license, which is just a non-starter.

A genuinely new setting, inspired by Moorcock's ideas and themes but which has its own actually innovative ideas  might get better traction - but I'd guess NuChaosium would be wary, if only because they are attempting to repair their relations with Moorcock (and others) and they also have other irons in the Fantasy RPG fire; so why stir up these potential  issues.

As a fan exercise even, Magic World is still available, and one can construct whatever setting one wishes for it (distributing such work, other than informally, is a slightly different thing).

If I had the time or inclination building / distributing new settings / support material for Magic World is still something I occasionally contemplate. It's still my favorite BRP system by some considerable margin, and NOT because I helped  Ben with the manuscript, nor because I wrote something for the published supplement. But alas, I have other calls on my time and the landscape has changed somewhat since the games was published.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

A genuinely new setting, inspired by Moorcock's ideas and themes but which has its own actually innovative ideas  might get better traction - but I'd guess NuChaosium would be wary, if only because they are attempting to repair their relations with Moorcock (and others) and they also have other irons in the Fantasy RPG fire; so why stir up these potential  issues.

A genuinely new setting that just adds vague references so that players might find themselves transfering their characters from a previous campaign, without spelling out what that old world was like is the whole point of the proposal.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, NickMiddleton said:

Fond as I was of Stormbinger back in the day, I struggle to see how this would in anyway be a viable product - it sounds like a blatant attempt to use Moorcock's ideas / IP without getting permission / a license, which is just a non-starter.

My thoughts exactly - and talking to others I get the feeling they think the same - the age of a NEW Stormbringer is over, the IP isn't worth anything beyond aging fans etc. That's not to say there isn't a place for a game, but maybe more as a play set for another existing system (Stormbringer Fiasco anyone?)...

One thing I found also (as you will find searching through the older posts on this board), there is no such thing as a united vision for EC gaming - Hey I couldn't even get people to agree on the skill list :P

Marcus

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com