New series: What's Happening With RQG #1 - Deep into Layout!

MOB

In the blue sub-hell where we investigated these things, kinetic energy is mv^2/2, m being mass and v being velocity, applied as an elastic collision between the two parties, something which in essence implements knockback. One spearing the other adds some intricacies to the model. In essence, the force is applied over the area of the weapon's point to the armor and solid mechanics is used to see what happens to the armor. But let us look closer at the collision. 

A charging white rhino can reach 50 km/h (13.8 m/s) and weighs 2300 kg, so a hit by such a specimen delivers almost 32 kN, or roughly a quarter of the tractive effort of a 'class Y steam train locomotive'. Don't forget to couch your lance. 

Let us say you (100 kg) run at full human speed towards the rhino (about 11m/s). After the collision, the rhino slows down to 11.7 m/s, while you are thrown back at a speed of 36.6 m/s, travelling through the air for 3.8 seconds, peaking at 17 meters up, and landing 118 meters away (assuming a launch angle of 30 degrees). Such is the power of the blue sub-hell.

(NB: The blue sub-hell lacks a Middle Air, so there is no wind resistance.)

4 hours ago, g33k said:

A well-couched lance actually carries (at least some of) the force of the mount. ...

I'd have to disagree with you.

From what I know (I mean, we're all just comparing historical sources, not actual experience), the general technique of lancers is not the couched 'spear under the arm' format we all learned from jousting in movies.  That method was indeed used in jousting because it's the most stable and strongest* but terribly inaccurate and worse, inflexible in a situation where last-moment corrections to aim (sometimes radical changes) are critical for the strike to matter.  Most lancers I've read historically used either an overhand stab or a sort of sidearm swing relatively out from the body.

*The *only* context in which a mount's weight adds any value to the strike is when the saddle in particular is built for it (a high-cantle).  Even then, it's only a small portion of the force, or the rider could suffer grievous injury from the torsion forces.  Essentially, the limit to the "mounts mass" that could be delivered was the rider's strength.  (In that context, I could see that a mounted attack like that might USE the mount's damage bonus, but capped by the maximum of the RIDER'S damage bonus.)  Really the only time that sort of jousting was common and deliberate was in jousts where the situation was basically staged to be perfect.

The mass of the mount did have many other values making it important in real-world applications - the stability of the platform, the morale value to the target of being in the way of several thousand pounds of charging flesh, the ability to bull-aside/run over secondary targets, etc.  But from everything I've read about mounted forces, the "staged" joust was pretty nearly nothing like actual in-the-field mounted lancing.

If you all want to discuss your theories about why we should not use the mounts SIZ and STR for its damage bonus in mounted combat, please create a new thread. I feel we've been very indulgent of what is essentially a thread-jack of a thread about the look of the new books. 

As an aside, it is not going to happen. Make your own house rules if you want, but that's not how the published rules will work.

Little question to Jeff

In Chaosium blog you said that "these are not final pages, just works-in-progress to show you the visual style of the book" and the choice of the border bother me a little ! It's not because I don't like it (the more I see it the greater I think it is) but having different border colour for each chapter will really be cool and visually ... helpful.

I asking that because the french RQ3 was presented a bit like "King of Sartar" ... each chapter was a treated like book (Player / Master / Magic / Glorantha) with its own first cover...

I understand how hellish will it be to create and make different layout for each chapter but when you said " this is a full color book with a lot of art. And I mean a LOT of art " How much FULL COLOR are you intend to pour into this ???

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

If you all want to discuss your theories about why we should not use the mounts SIZ and STR for its damage bonus in mounted combat, please create a new thread. I feel we've been very indulgent of what is essentially a thread-jack of a thread about the look of the new books. 

Fair 'nuf!  But whadaya expect, when questions of RL physics come up online in regards a fantasy-theme RPG???!?  It's like setting a hashish-bong in  a druggies' flophouse -- of COURSE we're gonna swarm it!  We're addicted to stuff like that!!!   ;)

===

Death-Rune does indeed seem apropos of the combat chapter -- do the runes appear with their chapter in the Table of Contents, too?  I won't suggest it in place of the page-number (q.v. the RQ2-vs-RQ3 debate over flavorful-vs-functional rulebooks), but IMHO it'd do very well indeed if the runes are AS visible and as emphasized as the page number...  :D

Could you show us the TOC page(s), if that has gotten through mock-up?

Then we could all debate whether you've assigned the right rune to the right chapter...  :blink:

But I've got some other feedback for you, too:  I showed the blogpost to my wife & asked her to read it (not otherwise soliciting any feedback).  Her first remark was, "This looks like a rulebook I might actually read."  She's a bright lass and can read some dense $#!^ (has her BS & MS) but simply isn't willing to take the TIME anymore to read a whole RPGbook dense with mechanics & tables &c.  She wants her gaming-time to be... well, GAMING.  So it looks like your "show, not tell" principle is already paying off (at least for me, it is!  ;-)   But also, she's asking if it can be pre-ordered yet, so I guess it looks like some payoff for Chaosium.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just now, Runeblogger said:

I love the art. This is looking like the RQ3 I'd always wanted to have as a teenager. 

<sputters indignantly>

You HERETIC!!!   This looks like the RQ2 you'd always wanted to have as a teenager!!!

;)

:D

But yeah.  This looks amazing.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

33 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

I love the art. This is looking like the RQ3 I'd always wanted to have as a teenager. 

However, being fans we're always going to nitpick a little... ;)

I don't think anyone's nitpicking the art, I think we're pretty solidly loving it. :)

Of course, this comment could be said to be nitpicking your comment.

• Like 1

I just realized a terrible problem !   @Jeff wrote (and I add emphasis):

"We are trying to grind down in the Character Generation chapter, to get those loads of boxes and tables looking cool and interesting, and once that is done, the rest of the book should fall into place pretty quickly."

He just predicted a quick conclusion!  That makes it "next year" availability at the soonest!   :wacko: 

===

More seriously... does this mean you're using the CharGen to work out a "look" in the most-tables-intensive chapter, and then propagating the "look" through the rest of the book?

I guess I'm just asking out of curiosity, really... I can't see that any answer or explanation (or lack thereof) will make me change the fact that I'll be placing my pre-order as soon as I see that you've begun Shutting Up And Taking My Money.    :D 

C'es ne pas un .sig