Hazia?

g33k

12 hours ago, Joerg said:

You said shamans can carry with no problems - but that's registered (and sworn in) shamans only. Rogue shamans may be unable to hide their nature, but that doesn't give them an imperial carry permit any more than every off-duty mercenary may lug about in full equipment. They may very well be politely asked to give up their stores for safe-keeping.

That might be a bit difficult to enforce among the tribes of Prax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 years later...

So reading in Six Seasons (loving the book BTW) there is an episode related to Hazia. Wondering if anyone has intercepted a large shipment and burned it with other flammables assisted by air elementals to smoke out and or intoxicate and a fort or pallasaided village?

What would the intoxicant's influence be on the population in general and more importantly would it generate detrimental effects on the combat abilities of the inhabitants?

Similarly with some of Oda Nobunaga's campaigns where he used fire upwind of a fortified town and smoked and burned them out via flaming embers blowing into the settlement.

Additionally Hideyoshi had actually built a dam to flood out a fortress in a low narrow valley, what sort of battle techniques (Building Wall being a great example) do we have that are known in Glorantha...  again what would Hazia do to the abilities of combatants? Would it be like marijuana or something more potent?

I suppose confiscated Hazia could be used to smoke out a cave complex if done correctly? Would it also have an impact on chaos tainted creatures like Broo for example?

Going back to the original source material:

“It soothes and numbs, letting the body be free of the mind. And the mind roams free. But when it returns to the body it needs more hazia… and the craving grows: and the life is short, for the stuff is poison. First there is a trembling, and later paralysis, and then death.”  — The Farthest Shore

I think hazia also showed up in Conan (maybe the movie? Not sure), so when it showed up in RQ it was easy to adjudicate its effects!

• Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

3 hours ago, AlHazred said:

Going back to the original source material:

I think hazia also showed up in Conan (maybe the movie? Not sure), so when it showed up in RQ it was easy to adjudicate its effects!

I always imagined it was a little bit opium and a little bit jimsonweed. I figured given the overall "North American West" feel of the game, jimsonweed ("the devil apple") was the inspiration but with added addictive behavior and much less toxic.

Datura stramonium 2 (2005 07 07).jpg

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 2