What's Happening with RQG #2 - The Gods of Glorantha

MOB

12 hours ago, Jeff said:

I think we might be able to clone me, but the difficulty is that memory duplication process. That gets expensive! I think we could possible afford to create a newborn genetically identical clone of me, but with all the skills and knowledge of a new-born,

Speaking as one who has to both manage and be managed by Jeff, cloning is not an useful answer. ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Al. said:

New customers/initiates to Glorantha will be much more interested in the Cults that their characters can join. And will be quite happy to wait for the GM to get hold of writeups which give the enemies of creation the same kind of advantages that their characters have.

Given the close compatibility between RQG and RQ2, if you need chaotic cults off the bat, just pick up the RQ Classic Cults of Terror.

New players will want to know who they can join and having an array of cults that cover a wide range of options (and Runes) will be very useful.  The state of my Cults of Prax book vs. that of Cults of Terror, shows very clearly that it was the former that was heavily used by myself and my players.

18 hours ago, Jeff said:

I think we might be able to clone me, but the difficulty is that memory duplication process. That gets expensive! I think we could possible afford to create a newborn genetically identical clone of me, but with all the skills and knowledge of a new-born,

I think the Mostali have a "Spare Parts" Rune Spell that can clone, memory dupe you. :P

I meant that as a joke, but thinking about the Mostali and their world view,  it would make a lot of sense. :huh:

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I think the Mostali have a "Spare Parts" Rune Spell that can clone, memory dupe you. :P

I meant that as a joke, but thinking about the Mostali and their world view,  it would make a lot of sense. :huh:

You, construction unit 30, have fallen victim to the heresy of individualism. The greatness of the mostali allows any unit of the appropriate caste to step in for a unit that has become dysfunctional and continue its work with hardly any decrease in efficiency.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I prefer the option to have all sorts of obscure playable cults detailed over the Baddy Book being released. 

But I do wish it was called Cults of Glorantha rather than Gods of Glorantha. The former is appropriately edgy and kewl (ie Cults of Prax), The latter makes me think i'm about to read yet another cult catalogue (ie Avalon Hill's Gods of Glorantha, yuk). 

But the book itself sounds like it's going to be amazing :)

9 minutes ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

But I do wish it was called Cults of Glorantha rather than Gods of Glorantha. The former is appropriately edgy and kewl (ie Cults of Prax), The latter makes me think i'm about to read yet another cult catalogue (ie Avalon Hill's Gods of Glorantha, yuk). 

But the book itself sounds like it's going to be amazing :)

Mongoose used the title of "Cults of Glorantha", so there is no new, clean way of doing it. 

But I concur, it sounds it will be an amazing book. 

2 minutes ago, jongjom said:

Mongoose used the title of "Cults of Glorantha", so there is no new, clean way of doing it. 

But I concur, it sounds it will be an amazing book. 

Hence the reason it is going to be Gods of Glorantha. It is about the same number of cults as the RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, but all done long-form, with myths, history, more information, more spells, and the lot. 

• Like 9

I, for one, am very glad to hear that the minor gods are getting inclusion here. I want my players to be able to have a god which is cool and unique -- and not just Orlanth wearing a different hat.

Chaos gods are cool and interesting, but I'd rather wait a bit and preserve Glorantha's diversity over sacrificing it on the altar of expediency.

We've already waited years for the main books. What's another few months? There's so much gaming that can be done just with rival cults -- is Chaos really that important?

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

... RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, but all done long-form, with myths, history, more information, more spells, and the lot. 

Oh oh, It's becoming more and more appealing

There are a lot of books I prefer before GoG but the books I tend to use the most are the book of Magic, Gods of Glorantha and Elders Secrets (Mostali and Aldryami). Unlike some grognards, I really think that GoG is the very best book after RQG because the new Runes points rules make Divine Magic and Runes more important, more useful and easiest to recover.

All of this make me perfectly agree with Gods of Glorantha being the next book out; I just hope there will be western and orientals cults

1 hour ago, kaydet said:

We've already waited years for the main books. What's another few months? There's so much gaming that can be done just with rival cults -- is Chaos really that important?

Chaos cults are not essential to play but

-if you want to make a party of rivals or even opposed cults, YOU NEED Chaos !
-if you want to create an Arkati, an Uroxi, or a Zorani player, YOU NEED Chaos !
-if you want deep play in glamour / pavis / prax YOU NEED Chaos !

Chaos can be everywhere, need for everything and be the opposing force of Everyone... if Greg Hate Mostali for them to be too much "themselves !", I Hate Chaos for the same reasons... too easy to play, it just change of masks but it's always the same at the core.
In term of horrors, I prefer Cthulhu strangeness; in term of Glorantha third age ... Kingdom of Wars Violence, Dragon(ewt)s Strangeness or even Zorak Zoran Madness.

4 hours ago, MJ Sadique said:

Chaos cults are not essential to play but

-if you want to make a party of rivals or even opposed cults, YOU NEED Chaos !
-if you want to create an Arkati, an Uroxi, or a Zorani player, YOU NEED Chaos !
-if you want deep play in glamour / pavis / prax YOU NEED Chaos !

I can't really say I agree with any of those statements, but if you feel that strongly about it, I'm not going to try and dissuade you.

Edited by kaydet
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kaydet said:

I can't really say I agree with any of those statements, but if you that feel strongly about it, I'm not going to try and dissuade you.

I find a mix of agreement & disagreement -- "rivals" are usually (non-Chaos) peers -- other Orlanthi, Praxian and/or Esrolians if you're near those borders, etc.  Not to mention Praxian Tribe-v-Tribe rivalry!!!   Pretty much every group in Pavis has (non-Chaotic) rivals and enemies... and that's without even venturing into the Rubble!

Some cults have key opposition without Chaos -- just ask Yelm & Orlanth; Yelmalio & ZZ; any Sun cult (Little, Cold, whatever) & most Darkness cults.

That said... yeah, Arkati & Uroxi are pretty heavily anti-Chaos, and so the lack of (canonical) Chaos resources limits the GM's (canonical) options for those PCs.

As always:  YGMV (mine certainly does).

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 4/19/2018 at 8:10 PM, Jeff said:

Not trying to be harsh, but the limiting factor on these books is me.  It isn't a money issue - it is time. 

Are you really working alone on this, Jeff ? As Joerg mentioned, can't you get some help, as Chaosium did for the old RQ2 stuff ?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

8 minutes ago, Zit said:

Are you really working alone on this, Jeff ? As Joerg mentioned, can't you get some help, as Chaosium did for the old RQ2 stuff ?

I'm the creative director and editor-in-chief on this, which means I have to dig into each cult, make sure that they are integrated with each other, write the new myths, etc. Jason is there to make sure I do a good job at it.

Although Greg had volunteers to help with the old RQ2 material, he ended up rewriting almost every submission. Very substantially in some cases.

Oh boy, I can't wait to read the Kygor Litor cult again.  I may get the vapours from the anticipation on that one alone. :mellow:

Yeah, I know ... of course it needs to be in the book, and for (what we hope will be) many newcomers to RuneQuest it won't be, like, the tenth time they will have read it.  It still doesn't fire me up all that much.  Ah well, I'll cope.  It doesn't diminish my anticipation for the book at all.

I do hope, though, that the new RQG line will avoid needless repetition within itself as much as possible.  For example, suppose that sometime down the track the decision is made to produce a new edition of Trollpak.  I would hope that such a hypothetical product would include a note like "for full descriptions of several important troll cults, see Gods of Glorantha" rather than just reprinting those cults; use the pages thus saved for information/different cults/scenarios/whatever.

"I want to decide who lives and who dies."

Bruce Probst

Melbourne, Australia

Misspelling it mean you obviously have not read the Kyger Litor cult enough times! ;) (Although we talk about KL, Orlanth also had multiple re-writes too.)

Joking aside, it is a new edition for RQ and, as great as it is to have access to old RQ2 supplements, the game needs a comprehensive update of previously published cults. This way the cults match up with the new rules, GtG (and other revelations), and the current era we now find Glorantha entering.

The never fully presented cults should be enough to make it worthwhile getting for the old hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

I'm the creative director and editor-in-chief on this, which means I have to dig into each cult, make sure that they are integrated with each other, write the new myths, etc. Jason is there to make sure I do a good job at it.

Although Greg had volunteers to help with the old RQ2 material, he ended up rewriting almost every submission. Very substantially in some cases.

And therefore it might have been less work if he'd done it himself?

I once had a head of D&T ('shop class' for USAians, 'CDT' or 'metalwork' and 'woodwork' for the more veteran Brits) describe coursework season as 'making 30 practical pieces whilst a trail children came along behind him and messed* them all up'

*he used a stronger word

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

You, construction unit 30, have fallen victim to the heresy of individualism.

Referring to a unit as "You" and more specfically as "construction unit 30" reinforces or even creates a sense of individualism, proving that the problem originates at a higher level. 

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

The greatness of the mostali allows any unit of the appropriate caste to step in for a unit that has become dysfunctional and continue its work with hardly any decrease in efficiency.

Well when there is hardly any efficiency to begin with, how much of a decrease could there be? 

• Haha 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Referring to a unit as "You" and more specfically as "construction unit 30" reinforces or even creates a sense of individualism, proving that the problem originates at a higher level. 

Outside of grid references, "you" is an acceptable shorthand for "that construction unit there." On the other hand, gainsaying gold caste edicts is apostasy. Report for recycling.

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Well when there is hardly any efficiency to begin with, how much of a decrease could there be? 

In that case, to what purpose would a functional unit propose cloning and memory transfer in the first place?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 4/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jeff said:

Not trying to be harsh, but the limiting factor on these books is me.  It isn't a money issue - it is time. 

And I'm not trying to push a KS or any other specific method... as you say -- it is time.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 20/04/2018 at 5:47 PM, Jeff said:

Hence the reason it is going to be Gods of Glorantha. It is about the same number of cults as the RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, but all done long-form, with myths, history, more information, more spells, and the lot. 

Excellent news.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I liked when Rick compiled the Cult Compendium because we had both Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror in one volume. That rocked!

While I welcome the news that we are certainly getting a much larger amount of cults, it still feels unusual to break it in two volumes - Gods of Glorantha and Gods of Chaos.

If it is too big a project for just once volume (which I would prefer), then perhaps it could come out over a series of volumes based around pantheons perhaps? Storm Pantheon, Solar Pantheon, etc that way Chaos Pantheon just fits in as another volume. Or perhaps dual pantheon books ie Storm/Earth, Solar/Lunar etc.

But for me I would pay out big money for a huge volume (like the G2G), but also a series of books may do the trick. But a split between Chaos Gods and Other Gods seems a bit unusual. I would also like to see some work on the Malkioni Ascended Masters one day, not sure where they fit in here

At the end of the day I look at the date and say: "It's 2018, and I am still able to indulge myself in Middle Earth, Hyborian Age, and Glorantha; so it's all good!"

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 4/19/2018 at 3:04 PM, Al. said:

... New customers/initiates to Glorantha will be much more interested in the Cults that their characters can join...

2 queries -- do you have a gaming-group (or more than one) today; people who are not already Gloranthaphiles (they being likely to buy/read it regardless of what I do or don't) --  AND (q2) : how many of them are likely to engage with a big ol' book with 4dozen Cults in long-form?  If so I envy you!

My group probably will not.  I expect to be the only buyer of GoG (or GoC when it comes).  If I am lucky, I'll get a few of them to read 1-3 cult-write-ups that I curate for them, taking their character-concept and advising them which cult(s) to consider joining.

YGMV -- Your Group May Vary

(n.b. -- this is a change for me; in my youth (in college), I'd have been surprised at anyone in my group who didn't engage enough with CoP to make an informed decision.  These days -- jobs, kids, mortgages, commutes, etc -- time is at a premium; voluminous setting-books like this are a luxury most of my players can't afford.)

C'es ne pas un .sig

Out of my gaming group, I'm probably the only one who will GM RQG. 

One other player is a long time Gloranthan fan as well, he may possibly buy RQG or he may not - he has RQ2, RQ3, RQ Classic, and DM RQ6. He's probably not going to purchase another edition, as he tends to GM other systems. However he is always considering porting Glorantha to one of his favourite systems, and he doesn't mind Gloranthan products that are systemless - to this extent he purchased the G2G after he saw mine.

I doubt he will buy any new RQG Cults books, but if they had come out as a big oversized coffee-table collection like the G2G (which was discussed once or twice during the G2G kickstarter) then he would grab that to sit next to his G2G books.

The other two players in my group will be happy to play RQ, but they won't buy anything for it as I'm the main GM for Glorantha and BRP.

And this has been a long wait, so we have gone onto other settings and systems for a while. Currently alternating between Pulp Cthulhu 7E and Middle Earth (previously used The One Ring rpg, but now hacking it much better with FATE Core rpg). So going back to Glorantha may be a long way away for us. And after FATE Core I may have some problems getting them back into Glorantha via BRP/RQ, I may have to use HQG instead...

(Ok jumping out now, at risk of too much thread derailment!)

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"