What's Happening with RQG #2 - The Gods of Glorantha

MOB

7 hours ago, g33k said:

2 queries -- do you have a gaming-group (or more than one) today; people who are not already Gloranthaphiles (they being likely to buy/read it regardless of what I do or don't) --  AND (q2) : how many of them are likely to engage with a big ol' book with 4dozen Cults in long-form?  If so I envy you!

My group probably will not.  I expect to be the only buyer of GoG (or GoC when it comes).  If I am lucky, I'll get a few of them to read 1-3 cult-write-ups that I curate for them, taking their character-concept and advising them which cult(s) to consider joining.

Y

Apologies if this is considered derailing (I felt that these were fair questions asked in an open forum and probably relevent)

A1: Yes. Six of us weekly. Typically running six week arcs and taking it in turns for GMing. The core of the group were avid (rabid?) Pathfinder players I met at a small local con years ago and then re-met when we all joined a larger local club which has since imploded. The others have been much more open about new and different systems than I'd feared. They enjoyed an RQ arc which I ran this year and all seem keen for some more later on.

A2: When I proposed my RQ slot first question from two others was 'where do we get the rules?' followed by (coz the RQ Classic re-release had just happened) 'isn't that a lot of money for a 20-year old ruleset?'. So I SUSPECT that I will probably be the only GM but that at least half of the others will pony up for a copy of rules and cults.

I do agree that Cult Compendium was brilliant. (Firstly being able to get hold off such old material again and secondly combined together). And I'd love for the new CC2 to have ALL of the Cults in longform and be not much thicker than CC and in a font size I can read and have loads of these lovely new illustrations. I fear that something has to give. YGWV but for me personally the least-bad solution is that it splits to two books.

Balance again: I still think that Chaosium have messed up by keeping the base chance + category modifier model. Calculating a single base score for each category has been my favoured approach for decades.

Al

Edited by Al.

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I wonder about the coverage of the long form cults. If the Westerners, the Arkati sects, Doraddi, East Islanders, Vormaini, Teshnans and Kralori, and non-human gods like the Sea Pantheon for mermen (and not just sailors) and the dwarf castes are adequately covered in the Gods of Glorantha book, I have little qualms about naming the second book Gods of Chaos or Gods of Terror, but if enough of the above-mentioned folk have been put on the back-burner but were to be included here, I would prefer a different title for the second volume.

Magic supplements tend to sell comparatively well to players, as opposed to bestiaries, setting descriptions or scenarios. (Or character sheets...) This is the only form of publication approaching chap-books for the RuneQuest line, and once you substract the rules-y bits also for HeroQuest.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 12:47 PM, Jeff said:

Hence the reason it is going to be Gods of Glorantha. It is about the same number of cults as the RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, but all done long-form, with myths, history, more information, more spells, and the lot. 

Yea to the long form writeups!  Iwonder if there is going to be any info on regional variants? I recall that quite a few cults exist in multiple areas but in slightly different form depending on the region and culture. . 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

26 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Yea to the long form writeups!  Iwonder if there is going to be any info on regional variants? I recall that quite a few cults exist in multiple areas but in slightly different form depending on the region and culture. . 

Yes.

• Like 3

FWIW, while as a Glorantha nerd long form write ups of stuff I've never seen a long form writeup of before really appeals, as a player and GM some of the terrible enemy gods are fairly urgent and I don't want to have to wait an extra year or so! 

A wider variety of protagonists is great, but a game needs a good supply of antagonists too!

I'd rather see a bit more division by regions. Eg having one or two cults from eg Kralorela or Pamaltela, as in RQ3, wasn't that useful - you still didn't have enough to run a campaign without having to do a lot of work yourself, so I'd rather wait and have a whole bunch of material for a particular region drop at once. 

(of course, as someone who owns all the RQ2 and RQ3 and HQ stuff I'm sure I can wing it, but that isn't going to be true for everyone) 

3 hours ago, davecake said:

FWIW, while as a Glorantha nerd long form write ups of stuff I've never seen a long form writeup of before really appeals, as a player and GM some of the terrible enemy gods are fairly urgent and I don't want to have to wait an extra year or so! 

A wider variety of protagonists is great, but a game needs a good supply of antagonists too!

I'd rather see a bit more division by regions. Eg having one or two cults from eg Kralorela or Pamaltela, as in RQ3, wasn't that useful - you still didn't have enough to run a campaign without having to do a lot of work yourself, so I'd rather wait and have a whole bunch of material for a particular region drop at once. 

(of course, as someone who owns all the RQ2 and RQ3 and HQ stuff I'm sure I can wing it, but that isn't going to be true for everyone) 

As I understand, the initial RQG release will be pretty Dragon-Pass focused, I'd assume that's going to be the same for RQG? 

I don't know that having extended cult writeups for Pamaltelan or East Isles gods would be terribly useful when the game rules themselves are going to be narrowly focused on the 'classical' RQ stomping grounds?