New HQ products?

Sky River Titan

If anyone cares about my wish list, here it is (in descending order): 

1) A book of hero quests for a range of cults (or scenarios built around the same, like the Humakt, Raven, and Wolf scenario and quest). For example, an Ernaldan quest, a Lhankor Mhyte quest, a Babeester Gor quest, etc. Especially quests for female PCs in less martial cults.

2) A book of drop-in scenarios for Red Cow (especially something that makes use of Snakepipe Hollow)

3) Praxpack! Please please please! How do shamanic quests differ from theistic ones? 

4) A Holy Land sourcebook 

5) A Lunar or Dara Happan sourcebook. Something that makes the Lunars playable as PCs in a full way (detailed write-ups of the individual Seven Mothers cults for example)

6) A book of Lunar or Dara Happan scenarios

• Like 3

@Bohemond Thanks, its always useful to get feedback.

>>1) A book of hero quests for a range of cults (or scenarios built around the same, like the Humakt, Raven, and Wolf scenario and quest). For example, an Ernaldan quest, a Lhankor Mhyte quest, a Babeester Gor quest, etc. Especially quests for female PCs in less martial cults.

There is certainly something to be done on Heroquesting in more detail. I'm not sure exactly what as yet. Whilst I empathize with cult heroquests I am not sure that is the scope of a book that helps you understand how to develop heroquests for your own game.

2) A book of drop-in scenarios for Red Cow (especially something that makes use of Snakepipe Hollow)

Possible. An interesting question is that given limited publication throughput should we focus a book on that, or open up something new. Would it be better to use a vehicle like Wyrm's Footnotes to produce scenarios that could be dropped in? That said I am working on a book that will cover the rebellion during the period of the The Eleven Lights campaign, and have scenarios that could be dropped in to Red Cow.

3) Praxpack! Please please please! How do shamanic quests differ from theistic ones? 

We will probably join up somehow with the RQ product release with something for HQ

The Holy Land is huge. I think we would need to focus on  a place in the Holy Land where we wanted to tell some interesting stories.

5) A Lunar or Dara Happan sourcebook. Something that makes the Lunars playable as PCs in a full way (detailed write-ups of the individual Seven Mothers cults for example)

Yeah, that is a big one. I have some ideas on how we might do this.

6) A book of Lunar or Dara Happan scenarios

Again, as above

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

The Holy Land is huge. I think we would need to focus on  a place in the Holy Land where we wanted to tell some interesting stories. 

Repeating my earlier request for info on the Nochet sourcebook. Jajagappa recently posted a sample question for Esrolian House generation in another thread, so you can blame him for my curiosity.

50 minutes ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

Repeating my earlier request for info on the Nochet sourcebook. Jajagappa recently posted a sample question for Esrolian House generation in another thread, so you can blame him for my curiosity.

😀

14 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

@Bohemond Thanks, its always useful to get feedback.

>>1) A book of hero quests for a range of cults (or scenarios built around the same, like the Humakt, Raven, and Wolf scenario and quest). For example, an Ernaldan quest, a Lhankor Mhyte quest, a Babeester Gor quest, etc. Especially quests for female PCs in less martial cults.

There is certainly something to be done on Heroquesting in more detail. I'm not sure exactly what as yet. Whilst I empathize with cult heroquests I am not sure that is the scope of a book that helps you understand how to develop heroquests for your own game.

Possible. An interesting question is that given limited publication throughput should we focus a book on that, or open up something new. Would it be better to use a vehicle like Wyrm's Footnotes to produce scenarios that could be dropped in? That said I am working on a book that will cover the rebellion during the period of the The Eleven Lights campaign, and have scenarios that could be dropped in to Red Cow.

Yeah, that is a big one. I have some ideas on how we might do this.

Just commenting on some of these ideas: I'm actually less interested in a book that has "create your own Heroquest" as a major focus and would also like to see en emphasis on cult Heroquests, esp. with in-depth discussions on variations, problems, etc. as related to them. This has the double benefit of giving us more on the cults, while on the side showing what we can do for Heroquests that we create out of whole cloth.

Maybe if this book would also incorporate the hook of being from an Arkati and/or Lunar perspective, where we see more options for more creative and experimental Heroquesting it would really open up new ground and be a quite unique book in the Gloranthan pantheon.

More Red Cow stuff - I'm broadly interested. Maybe these should be scenarios the cover the time after the Eleven Lights, moving into (and during) the Runequest era? Of course, as people's campaigns may end up in very different places, I'm not sure about how to do it exactly in the best way. The idea for a book for more scenarios in and about the Rebellion is great as well.

As for the Holy Country: I'd totally "settle" for Nochet, but I'd hope we'd get good insights into Belintar's reign as well, which would give utility for general Holy Country stuff. 

The Lunar sourcebook is something that I really, really, really want to see, so yeah. This is the big one for me.

I guess for all of these there is the issue of whether to do these in the Runequest or Heroquest lines, though for some of us the distinction isn't going to be a deciding factor in whether to buy these or not, but mechanically I'm not too sure. I came to Glorantha from Heroquest, but I'm looking to explore it in the future via Runequest. In fact I will also aim to do an integration of sorts with both systems - for example, doing the tribal/more high level stuff via Heroquest mechanics, while using Runequest for character level affairs. That actually also brings up the idea of doing Heroquests with (ahem) Heroquest mechanics, hmm... but I guess that depends on what kind of support there will be for these things in both game lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grievous said:

Just commenting on some of these ideas: I'm actually less interested in a book that has "create your own Heroquest" as a major focus and would also like to see en emphasis on cult Heroquests, esp. with in-depth discussions on variations, problems, etc. as related to them.

I agree. There have been a few treatments of 'here is how to run a heroquest' in generic terms, and its good to see some consensus emerging, but a big book full of heroQuests is something that hasn't bee done and would be really great. Especially if the quests were offered with a few variations (including suggested local variations or practical issues, different enemies who may appear, etc), a few suggested game system specific issues, to make them reusable as game supplements. 

I tend to, as much as possible, make it game system agnostic or multi-statted at this point. We have 3 very different game systems that could all use such a book a lot. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, davecake said:

I agree. There have been a few treatments of 'here is how to run a heroquest' in generic terms, and its good to see some consensus emerging, but a big book full of heroQuests is something that hasn't bee done and would be really great. Especially if the quests were offered with a few variations (including suggested local variations or practical issues, different enemies who may appear, etc), a few suggested game system specific issues, to make them reusable as game supplements. 

I tend to, as much as possible, make it game system agnostic or multi-statted at this point. We have 3 very different game systems that could all use such a book a lot. 

Yep, very much agreed. As part of the variations, issues, enemies, etc. I would really like the book to include examples of experimental Heroquesting too, though. I feel that's an area that needs help and could be presented interestingly, certainly opening up avenues for Arkati/Lunars/God Learner stuff. The high-end Lunar stuff seems an appropriate area for this (the birth of the Goddess, Castle Blue and so on) and would couple nicely with any attention and love the Lunars may be gettings as far as becoming more playable as presented. The Arkati, too, deserve some discussion.

I too prefer publications on Glorantha rather than 'how to do your own'. There is such a lot of interesting material to cover already and good examples serve equally well to teach readers how to do it. 

It would for example be very interesting to see the Zero Wane published as an advanced 'heroquest campaign' or 'module'. 

A book on heroquesting would be awesome. There's already some good stuff in 13G, but a whole book on it would be excellent. And if it was generic and not specific on a game system then I can see a big audience for it.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:42 PM, Ian Cooper said:

We will probably join up somehow with the RQ product release with something for HQ

But this will be in 1625+ yes? I hope you bring a Prax book out that covers the previous pre 1625 era as well. Same with the Big Rubble if that ever appears. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:10 AM, davecake said:

Personally, I have no interest in a Big Book of Myths or a Big Book of Heroquests. I much prefer the approach to heroquesting in 13G: They're just one more kind of adventure. It leaves it open for GM's to create heroquests that fit the stories that their group wants to tell in an adventure, rather than coming up with a list of myths and figuring out how to create an adventure that goes with it.

13 hours ago, Garwalf said:

I have no interest in a Big Book of Myths or a Big Book of Heroquests. I much prefer the approach to heroquesting in 13G: They're just one more kind of adventure.

While thats true enough, I think a Big Book of that particular kind of adventure would be fine and useful. More useful than a big book of non-heroquest adventures (we already have plenty of those we can crib). 

Yes now the RQG is coming, I definately think its time for HQ to unshackle itself from Glorantha.

I want HQ to do a contemporary cheesy action flick or something that D20 Modern would have tried!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 5/20/2018 at 11:07 PM, Garwalf said:

Personally, I have no interest in a Big Book of Myths or a Big Book of Heroquests. I much prefer the approach to heroquesting in 13G: They're just one more kind of adventure. It leaves it open for GM's to create heroquests that fit the stories that their group wants to tell in an adventure, rather than coming up with a list of myths and figuring out how to create an adventure that goes with it.

Oh, I would love one, but I am definitely in a minority.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 5/25/2018 at 5:25 AM, Mankcam said:

Yes now the RQG is coming, I definately think its time for HQ to unshackle itself from Glorantha.

I want HQ to do a contemporary cheesy action flick or something that D20 Modern would have tried!

Well Heroquest Core is not 'shackled to Glorantha' only Heroquest Glorantha is.

And we will continue to produce Glorantha content. The two lines have quite different approaches. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

Well Heroquest Core is not 'shackled to Glorantha' only Heroquest Glorantha is.

And we will continue to produce Glorantha content. The two lines have quite different approaches. 

I perhaps meant that HQ may benefit from having a new well produced core book sitting alongside HQG.  

I see HQ more as a FATE rival than anything else, and would love to see a wide range of genres portrayed with it.

Previously RQ and HQ were quite different. However from the recent previews it feels like HQG and RQG are covering similar territory. Not only Glorantha, but the flavour of the PCs.  RQG is having a starting default of highly proficient player-characters, in much the same way that HQG does.

I do like how the recent HQG supplements have been almost systemless,  which will be good if one prefers to run Glorantha with RQG instead of HQG.

I just wish HQ had a few more genres to show it off. Its a very innovative system for storytelling.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"