New HQ products?

Sky River Titan

2 hours ago, Mankcam said:

I just wish HQ had a few more genres to show it off. Its a very innovative system for storytelling.

That was one of the things we were asked not to mention at the Chaosium Seminar at Eternalcon. Let's just say that HQ will probably have other genres, including one that I think suts HQ better than any other system.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 minutes ago, soltakss said:

That was one of the things we were asked not to mention at the Chaosium Seminar at Eternalcon. Let's just say that HQ will probably have other genres, including one that I think suts HQ better than any other system.

Super

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mankcam said:

I perhaps meant that HQ may benefit from having a new well produced core book sitting alongside HQG.  

I see HQ more as a FATE rival than anything else, and would love to see a wide range of genres portrayed with it.

Previously RQ and HQ were quite different. However from the recent previews it feels like HQG and RQG are covering similar territory. Not only Glorantha, but the flavour of the PCs.  RQG is having a starting default of highly proficient player-characters, in much the same way that HQG does.

I do like how the recent HQG supplements have been almost systemless,  which will be good if one prefers to run Glorantha with RQG instead of HQG.

I just wish HQ had a few more genres to show it off. Its a very innovative system for storytelling.

HQG and RQG are quite different in what they do, and its not really anything to do with power-level.

HQG is a intended to be a fast-paced, rules-lie approach to Glorantha, that allows for and relies on player creativity. It's cinematic in style and scope. RQG is a far grittier texture with a famously lethal combat system, comprehensive skill system etc. In the same way that 13G represents another style of play. it all depends how you want to run, and your choice might differ for styles of game that you want to play. I will probably use all three, depending on the type of game I am interested in bringing to the table.

I think that the market for HQ is similar to Powered By the Apocalypse or Fate Accelerated (I think Fate is actually closer to the RQ market out-of-the-box).

But where we do agree is that we have not emphasized enough the idea of other genres for HQ, with HQG really being one example of a 'genre pack' and we do need more. So one of our goals will be to support that, using the system for a wide range of genres, particularly picking genres that we think work well with the style of play that we think HQ encourages.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

I think that the market for HQ is similar to Powered By the Apocalypse or Fate Accelerated (I think Fate is actually closer to the RQ market out-of-the-box).

When I first played Powered by the Apocalyspe, my first thought was that it was a simplified version of HeroQuest, but with fewer choices. I haven't played any version of Fate, yet, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

19 minutes ago, soltakss said:

When I first played Powered by the Apocalyspe, my first thought was that it was a simplified version of HeroQuest, but with fewer choices. I haven't played any version of Fate, yet, though.

They come from the same family, though PbTA is a little different in approach. As you know in PbTA only the PC rolls, and there is no varied resistance, its 10+ to succeed without complication, 7-9 with, whereas in HQ there is a resistance and both GM and player roll. That may be philosophical, but each move in PbTA defines what those ranges mean. Moves are the big difference between PbTA and HQ. Defining moves is a key part of translating this game into a new setting; each one is a tiny rules engine for doing that thing. Writing an implementation of PbTA is harder than creating an HQ genre pack, because you have to create templates and moves for PbTA. In HQ you just have to create keywords because the mechanic is always shared.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

HQG and RQG are quite different in what they do, and its not really anything to do with power-level.

HQG is a intended to be a fast-paced, rules-lie approach to Glorantha, that allows for and relies on player creativity. It's cinematic in style and scope. RQG is a far grittier texture with a famously lethal combat system, comprehensive skill system etc. In the same way that 13G represents another style of play. it all depends how you want to run, and your choice might differ for styles of game that you want to play. I will probably use all three, depending on the type of game I am interested in bringing to the table.

But where we do agree is that we have not emphasized enough the idea of other genres for HQ, with HQG really being one example of a 'genre pack' and we do need more. So one of our goals will be to support that, using the system for a wide range of genres, particularly picking genres that we think work well with the style of play that we think HQ encourages.

I actually agree with pretty much everything you wrote here, except I dont find Fate Core to be anything like RQ just because it has skills - perhaps its similar to White Wolf Storyteller, but with a more streamlined narrative focus. But yeah Fate Accelerated is definately more in the ballpark of HQ.

So this sounds great that other genres are being considered for HQ. I know there will not be a focus on such while RQG rolls out, but I am really happy to see more genres are being considered for HQ rather than just HQG. 

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 4/27/2018 at 4:52 AM, Ian Cooper said:

I'm hoping to work with the rest of the team to get ourselves in a position to have some very definite announcements at UK Games Expo. We will obviously share by all the channels after that.

Was there any exciting HQ news over the weekend at UK Games Expo?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 5:42 PM, Ian Cooper said:

2) A book of drop-in scenarios for Red Cow (especially something that makes use of Snakepipe Hollow)

Possible. An interesting question is that given limited publication throughput should we focus a book on that, or open up something new. Would it be better to use a vehicle like Wyrm's Footnotes to produce scenarios that could be dropped in?

Eleven Lights seems to have sold well from what little I know. If so that might suggest a companion volume of additional scenarios  could also be well  received.  Possibly WF would be a good place for the "detailed Heroquest for a specific cult" idea that was also suggested - partly because you'd only need to have produced/tested etc one before publication rather than waiting for a whole book's worth, and also because the background/myth information would be generally useful/of interest to those who do not play (or even like) HQ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 11:42 PM, Lord High Munchkin said:

Since my players are based in Fonrit - you can tell what I'm interested in....

I trust there will be RQG stats and conversion notes?

We may plan on doing it so that its essentially sourcebook + genre pack + scenarios so that you could drop in an RQG genre pack at some point. But that would be up to the RQG team to resource.

• 1 month later...