Sign in to follow this  
dieselpunk

Encumbrance and MOV

In the Bgb, there's a discussion about how encumbrance can affect movement (p. 180), but there don't seem to be any actual rules about it. The closest thing seems to be penalties on dodge. There's also mention of how much encumbrance someone could lift. But strangely no mention of then how carrying bulky or heavy things could slow you down. Am I missing something?

Edited by dieselpunk
Typo

No, I cannot find them either. Perhaps they were not moved across from other systems when BRP was revised.

Edited by soltakss

Magic World (which is printed after BRP and partly derived from it) mentions a -1 or -2 MOV penalty for being heavily burdened which is set by the GM. In chases, burdened characters in pursuit, or pursued, by less burdened characters with the same MOV, have to make CONx3 rolls to keep up, keep away.

I don't have access to my copy of BRP close at hand, so I can't compare, but maybe that will give you a workable solution?

15 hours ago, Nick J. said:

Magic World (which is printed after BRP and partly derived from it) mentions a -1 or -2 MOV penalty for being heavily burdened which is set by the GM. In chases, burdened characters in pursuit, or pursued, by less burdened characters with the same MOV, have to make CONx3 rolls to keep up, keep away.

I don't have access to my copy of BRP close at hand, so I can't compare, but maybe that will give you a workable solution?

The GM is advised to penalise MOV for things like carrying a heavy load / wearing cumbersome armour in Elric! which was published 1993 and from which both influenced the BRP BGB and forms the basis of Magic World. The same advice to GM's is paraphrased on page 180-181 of the BGB:

"The gamemaster can also lower your characters MOV attribute based on circumstances such as being overburdened, fatigued, cautious movement, etc."

Sadly, I don't think there is any more detail than that, not even the specific figures for penalties seen in Elric! / MW.

The Outpost 19 fatigue rues are part of my arsenal of house rules I use for more rule detailed games where I want to emphasise physical limitations - I really never cared for the RQ3 encumbrance / fatigue points system, hence came up with my own system.

cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton
typo
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

The encumbrance rules seem like a big omission from BGB since it also effectively makes the Fatigue Point system only half implemented as well. It's also harder to come up with some rule because there's no real benchmark for how STR maps to lifting capacity except for some muddy translation to real world weights through SIZ or by comparing it to relatively few equipment examples.

Anyway, I took a look at the above and also took a look at how GURPS 4e handles this. I like the basis on strength as shown above so I'll go with something like the Outpost 19 rules as a basis.

Most of the time I just ignore details like this, but I was considering making an adventure where survival and hauling stuff became a factor and became interested in this topic. 

So far, given the way my game has been running (as well as experience from how most RPGs run, including MMOs), fatigue doesn't really matter for the most part.  The party simply "takes five (minutes)" and *boom* most of the penalties/effects are gone.  The only one I've seen approach it fairly well that I can remember is HERO, which uses a Long Term Endurance mechanic, which measures your level of effort for your load in terms of your REC stat and slowly burns your END stat during sustained efforts. 

Even then, applicability is spotty (mainly when the party is trying to drag out a dragon's hoard ;) ).  In my current game, the party (squad) is about to seriously have to sneak around a contested city carrying extra expendable supplies and some extra weapons, which will start eating up fatigue in some manner.  Conrad's chart above looks like a good place to start on that and will require some extra accounting, but worthwhile IMO.

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

Most people don't really care about Encumbrance, to be honest. Or, if they do care, they have their own preferred way of doing it.

You're probably right.

But that doesn't mean it's not a bit sloppy to have gone through the work of talking about it in a dedicated Optional Rule panel, mention it in relation to Fatigue Points, and have included Enc values with the weapons tables only to drop the ball on what it all means. If the BGB authors subscribed to the sentiment that no one would/should bother with Encumbrance then why not just do what CoC7 did and not have any mention of it at all?

As someone new to running BRP it's also not easy for me to find a preferred way based on digging around old BRP-based games. Thankfully I have you folks. :)

• Like 2

I came up with a fatigue system like Nick's, which I used for Mentalism spells (you can keep casting them until you fail a roll and move to a higher Fatigue level). I think I was using the 'there's only easy, normal and difficult skill tests' school of thought to avoid the +/- bitty skill rolls, so there's not so many fatigue levels as in Nick's Outpost 19 system. I forgot about MOV though (but it would be easy to add). I must have got those figures from somewhere -- I thought it was the BGB but if it's not there I agree it's an omission. I usually don't really bother about encumbrance either. However I did have a dragon's hoard once which required a lot of logistics -- and guards, and politics -- to shift :)

Fatigue levels:

Psychically drained: Mentalism skill rolls Difficult
Tired: All skill rolls Difficult (equiv. CONx3 rounds of physical exertion)
Spent: Stamina roll required for any activity; skills at one quarter normal (equiv. CONx4 rounds of physical exertion)
Exhausted: Difficult Stamina roll for any activity; skills max = POW x 1 (equiv. CONx10 rounds of physical exertion)

• Like 2