What's Happening with RQG #3 - Layout is done, preorders coming soon!

MOB

Jeff and Jason have passed on some exciting news: layout and proofreading of RQG is all-but-done ("we're just doing some final finishing up and tweaks"). The book is truly both a thing of beauty, and also a very easy-to-use reference when playing the game.

Stay tuned for an announcement soon about preorders!

binding-an-earth-elemental-rqg.png?t=152

Art credit: "Binding an Earth Elemental" by Andrey Fetisov

• Like 14

I really cant wait for this to come out and start reading the new rule-book. Hopefully other RQG material will quickly follow. I was hoping that Griffin Mountain would be on the radar to update, or will we be able to use the original with the new RQG Edition

24 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

That's great. maybe all my old Runequest stuff will still come in handy then. Do you know if there is much difference in the original Griffin Mountain, and the new PDF version that has just been released?

You mean the one under Runequest Classic? The title says it already ;). As far as I know it's a reprint of the original Griffin Mountain module, maybe with some slight chances in layout and some useful additions from e.g. Wyrm's Footnotes (but I'm not sure here).

Thanks anyway. I will just wait to order the new RQG rule-book and see how much has changed from my original  2nd edition Rule-book and then make decisions on what I can use from my old stuff until maybe new versions come out. From what I have seen so far, the new rule-book is looking pretty impressive

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

You mean the one under Runequest Classic? The title says it already ;). As far as I know it's a reprint of the original Griffin Mountain module, maybe with some slight chances in layout and some useful additions from e.g. Wyrm's Footnotes (but I'm not sure here).

It added 6 pages of notes from some Wyrms Footnotes (I believe) articles.  Otherwise it is a reprint of the original content.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:39 AM, Dutchy said:

Thanks anyway. I will just wait to order the new RQG rule-book and see how much has changed from my original  2nd edition Rule-book and then make decisions on what I can use from my old stuff until maybe new versions come out. From what I have seen so far, the new rule-book is looking pretty impressive

The intent has all along been that the "Classic" RQ supplements could be trivially adapted for use with the new RQG rule-set.

If my group was ready-to-play right now, I wouldn't hesitate to begin a RQ2/RQClassic game -- say, with Borderlands&Beyond -- and update it to RQG when those rule drop.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks everyone, I am just preparing a new campaign with new players to Runequest. I am planning to start them as Balazaring hunter gatherers. As they will be learning the game mechanics, whilst they are also finding out about the world - well that's the plan anyway!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Thanks everyone, I am just preparing a new campaign with new players to Runequest. I am planning to start them as Balazaring hunter gatherers. As they will be learning the game mechanics, whilst they are also finding out about the world - well that's the plan anyway!!!!!!

AFAIK the new RQ will focus on Dragon Pass, Lunar Empire & Esrolia. So for your Balazaring campaign you'll be dipping heavily into older materials anyway, but the big change will be how Runic and Clan passions will/can impact on play. 

It sounds like Runequest (RQG) is going back to its roots, which for me is great, as I still think that the best  edition of the rules was 2nd edition. Hopefully all of my old material (Griffin Mountain, Borderland, The Big Rubble etc) will work well with the new rules. Then again, I may just use the 2nd Edition of the rules????

7 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

It sounds like Runequest (RQG) is going back to its roots, which for me is great, as I still think that the best  edition of the rules was 2nd edition. Hopefully all of my old material (Griffin Mountain, Borderland, The Big Rubble etc) will work well with the new rules. Then again, I may just use the 2nd Edition of the rules????

Well from what I've seen and heard RQG is the baby of RQ2 and RQ3 with HQG as the midwife.

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

That sounds like a very interesting child. I hope that it takes more after RQ2 though

The core mechanic is mostly RQ2 with a few notable RQ3 elements, say 70%ish / 15%ish :D    (with a strong emphasis on the "ish") ...

The remaining 15% (ish... never forget the ish!) shows evidence of KAPendragon, HQ, KoDP, RQ6, and bits of all-new material

The "Augmentation" rules (Runes, Passions) are a big chunk that I don't count as "the core mechanic."   Character creation takes some cues from the "lifepath" ethos, but goes deeper into ancestors & relatives:  your Grandmother may have been a hero in Esrolia; your uncle have fought the Lunar armies for Sartar, under the banner of the Feathered Horse Queen.  You begin play embedded into the culture, with existing enmities, loyalties, hatreds, fears, etc.

Sorcery rules are heavily re-worked, and Rune Magic is now based on a pool of sacrificed "Rune Points."

The default is no longer RQ2's zero-to-hero arc; expect beginning PC's to often have their core skill(s) at 75%-80%, and occasionally over 85%.

===

How much time are you willing to put into looking at the project?  For the truly-obsessed fan, it's actually pretty thoroughly documented at this point.  2 dozen (ish) "development" blogs ... The new "what's happening with" blog (3 to date) ... sundry topical answers here on BRPC, on G+, on RPG.net, etc etc etc... The 2017 QuickStart booklet... the fancy new character-sheet...

If someone took maybe 100 hours to collect & collate the material, I'd guess they could get to about 99% of the new edition.  :ph34r:

Of course, that's "99%"ish...  :lol:

And they'd miss the amazing art & layout work of the new edition!  :(

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

The new edition has conversion notes in the appendices for RQ2 and RQ3. Both versions are very easy to adapt to the new rules, so all the RQ Classic (and indeed all the RQ3) releases are usable.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MOB said:

The new edition has conversion notes in the appendices for RQ2 and RQ3. Both versions are very easy to adapt to the new rules, so all the RQ Classic (and indeed all the RQ3) releases are usable.

Damn.

Every time someone from Chaosium drops a new tidbit, it just gets juicier.  I usually wait on RPG purchases for a review-cycle and/or initial playtest reports.  But this one... yeahNO, not waiting.  Putting in my pre-order the same day I learn that they are open.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Every time someone from Chaosium drops a new tidbit, it just gets juicier.  I usually wait on RPG purchases for a review-cycle and/or initial playtest reports.  But this one... yeahNO, not waiting.  Putting in my pre-order the same day I learn that they are open.

I will definitely be doing the same. Also maybe I will have to put aside a 100 ish hours or so to read through all of the material, Can't wait!!