seneschal

What is is about Stormbringer?

On 6/14/2018 at 3:10 PM, Algesan said:

IIRC, the BOC and Hawkwind's songs were both prior to the release of the RPG, I would think you are right.  Ahhh, at the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth since I think I brought up the songs originally, they helped create the popular climate for the RPG to gain its popularity along with ease of setup and play, etc.  I do remember conversations about how it was just impossible to simulate the Elric saga using OD&D...heh, although one GM at the time could have probably done it, but he already tossed elves out as a player race because (as he put it),: How stupid would a virtually immortal race be to let their children run around with non-magical gear at 1st level....

You're probably right about them not knowing about the RPG, though Chronicle of the Black Sword by Hawkwind was released in 1985.  

On 5/27/2018 at 2:26 AM, Pentallion said:

Did anyone ever write a cool song like this for D&D?

Or write a song about a god of D&D like this:

Stormbringer just rocks.  That's all you need to know.  Stormbringer effing rocks.

I mean seriously:

I agree Stormbringer rocks. But the songs were not written for ** Stormbringer the game**, rather for the characters of Elric and Stormbringer (the sword!) or, if you prefer, for **"Stormbringer" the novel**. 

In contrast there are a few songs about D&D that are a lot of fun... 

1 hour ago, TheyCalledMeMrDennis said:

You're probably right about them not knowing about the RPG, though Chronicle of the Black Sword by Hawkwind was released in 1985.  

Oops, wait, I missed that album, I've just heard some of the earlier songs from the 70s.  Quick check says Moorcock wrote (or assisted) with the lyrics for one of the songs on Chronicle.

No idea if they knew about the RPG, but by then they might have been avid players in 1985. ;)

11 hours ago, Algesan said:

No idea if they knew about the RPG, but by then they might have been avid players in 1985. ;)

Maybe if Moorcock actually played RPGs, he might have gamed with them. But, AFAIK he never has played RPGs. 

On 6/16/2018 at 5:41 PM, Atgxtg said:

Maybe if Moorcock actually played RPGs, he might have gamed with them. But, AFAIK he never has played RPGs. 

Well, it's not something he would necessarily disclose or discuss. He was certainly aware of the RPG hobby though. 

7 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

Well, it's not something he would necessarily disclose or discuss. He was certainly aware of the RPG hobby though. 

Sure he was. He even contributed the plot for an AD&D scenario about Earl Aubec published on Imagine Magazine.

• Like 1

What would be a good system for running this today but keeping it simple? For example, I don't think Mythras would be your first choice, as its crunchier

To keep it simple? Probably Strombringer, since it's already set up for it, and you don't have to change anything. Other than that, probably go with whatever D100 game you prefer and port over Strombringer's Sorcery rules (or Sorcery from BRP's BGB), and setting specific coins, gear and weapons. The setting, outside of magic,  is over 99% compatible with pretty much every D100 RPG out there.

Edited by Atgxtg

1 hour ago, Archivist said:

What would be a good system for running this today but keeping it simple? For example, I don't think Mythras would be your first choice, as its crunchier

If you convert it to d100. Any edition of Stormbringer will work. Including Mongoose MRQ Elric 1-2.

If you go for Stormbringer 5. The Corum book has stats for Jhary a Conel and Whiskers.

If you go for MRQ Elric 1. The Elric Companion also has stats for Jhary and Whiskers.

If you keep it D20 (the scenario is for AD&D1), it might be interesting to use Dragon Lords of Melniboné and D&D3. I'd do this just for finding a use for the damn thing! It would work perfectly.  

Edited by smiorgan
  • Thanks 1

I am going to use Mythras from the day after tomorrow on, when the campaign starts. But that's mostly because it's available in German, and I want to support that by using it. If that wasn't a consideration, I'd just use Magic World, because it is (except for a few lacking spells) Stormbringer 6, so to speak.

Edited by Thot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is magic world simpler than Mythras?

Yes, its pretty straight forward. Essentially a tweaked version of Stormbringer 5. That boils down to DEX based combat sequencing, attack and parry as single skill, hit points with no locations, Major Wounds... and on. Pretty much as easy as core Cthulhu without Sanity. 

Some complexity can arise if you use magic from the Advanced Sorcery supplement, but magic in the core is pretty straight forward. 

SDLeary

• Like 1

"Stormbringer 6", err, I mean, Magic World uses no hit locations, has fixed base skills, the ever fun random armor... it is not just "essentially" the old Stormbringer 5, but literally, down to many sentences of the rules and much of the art in the books.

I just wish they would have called it more fortunately, to make the relationship to Stormbringer clear. "Stormsinger" or "Wormbringer" or something like that.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 5:30 AM, Archivist said:

I bought magic world + advanced sorcerer/

I think you'll really like them both. Advanced Sorcery in particular can really open up some opportunities to expand and mold the game to your tastes.

Coming from the Shameless Plugs Division (TM), you might find the following helpful for character creation. (Latest beta version is available in the last post) Final version available now.

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1