Question on the utility of skills

Al.

Yeah, in real life I saw a babe walk right out  into the street and stop traffic with just a sheepish grin. Ya can't pull that off with a Charisma roll in most RPGs. The whole "just roleplay it" thing usually comes up when someone tries a Bond-like move of seducing someone to get out of a jam or some such. It's fairly difficult to roleplay a seduction. Lines and moves that might work for one guy could fail spectacularly for another. 

But back to your original topic: what do you want to do with the information? Are you thinking of reducing the skill set (some RPGs get away with only a dozen or so skill to cover everything), prioritize the "useful" skills, or make the other skills more prominent in your adventures?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:42 PM, Atgxtg said:

But back to your original topic: what do you want to do with the information? Are you thinking of reducing the skill set (some RPGs get away with only a dozen or so skill to cover everything), prioritize the "useful" skills, or make the other skills more prominent in your adventures?

That's the 1d100 SAN question isn't it?

I'm leaning towards taking a leaf out of the (original/old) MagicWorld rules: using characteristic rolls (although in MW I think they wre x3 not x5) for the mandatory skills.

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

53 minutes ago, Al. said:

That's the 1d100 SAN question isn't it?

I'm a Rune Lord, I only roll 1D10 for SAN! 😎 (Sorry RQG's out).

53 minutes ago, Al. said:

I'm leaning towards taking a leaf out of the (original/old) MagicWorld rules: using characteristic rolls (although in MW I think they wre x3 not x5) for the mandatory skills.

Okay. It's possible, although there are a few hurdles.

1) Are players stuck with the same % score for the whole campaign? 

2) Not all stats are equal. INT and CHA seem to dominate most of the CoC "mandatory" (no they aren't) skill.

3) I got Original Magic World and it doesn't do that. Instead skills start off as the sum or average of some characteristics, multiplied by a number.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2018 at 10:10 PM, Atgxtg said:

I'm a Rune Lord, I only roll 1D10 for SAN! 😎 (Sorry RQG's out).

Okay. It's possible, although there are a few hurdles.

1) Are players stuck with the same % score for the whole campaign? 

2) Not all stats are equal. INT and CHA seem to dominate most of the CoC "mandatory" (no they aren't) skill.

3) I got Original Magic World and it doesn't do that. Instead skills start off as the sum or average of some characteristics, multiplied by a number.

1) Raise the characteristic, raise the skill. But I get the central premise of your question and I'd like the opportunity for a skill or test or roll to be improvable separate to the characteristic

2) Very true. And one of the things that potentially makes CoC more fun than other games.

3) As far as Skills go you are quite correct. However in all of the WoW subgames. Idea = Int x3, Luck = Pow x3, Persuade = Cha x3, Dodge = Dex x3, etc

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire