RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha is Coming—Sign up and we'll let you know the moment it launches!

MOB

Speaking frankly, this is the first time I’ve seen an artist that really captures the essence and magic of Glorantha as I imagined it back with RQ2. 

There are a few exceptions. As a past trio, River of Cradles, SunCounty, and Borderlands covers stood out, and also really captured Gloranthas feel. 

Andreys work builds on this and takes it further, wonderfully imagined compositions, beautiful draughtmanship and exceptional understanding of colour relationships. This new RuneQuest could end up being a masterpiece.

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 3

Sorry for the predictable and almost herdman-like behaviour but I have to join with the chorus of approval for the art in these books. I might even get away with RQG as a coffee table book rather than stuck up the single bookshelf in my study I'm permitted for my other RPG books. Those pieces look lovely.

• Like 1

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

In the moment I feel very bored about the politics of Chaosium. Old men try to be interesting. Not giving arelease date and try to make it mystic is not verygood for Runequest. The teaser game is uncomplete and not really usable. Why this?

8 minutes ago, NurgleHH said:

In the moment I feel very bored about the politics of Chaosium. Old men try to be interesting. Not giving arelease date and try to make it mystic is not verygood for Runequest. The teaser game is uncomplete and not really usable. Why this?

The quickstart is designed to introduce people into the game via the introductory adventure and premade adventurers, not to be a complete ruleset, and is in fact perfectly usable for what it was intended for, which is playing the adventure within. The release date has been kept vague on purpose as they actually don't know exactly when they'll be ready to release it. Last year they said it would be released first by Gen Con and then by Christmas, both of which never happened and caused a lot of upset, a situation Chaosium wants to avoid so they aren't telling us exactly when it will release.

12 minutes ago, NurgleHH said:

Well in business terms you cannot set a release date until you have your ducks in a row.

Chaosium is not a reliable company when you see their realeres. I always waited for new material for Cthulhu. In the moment I am in the comfortable situation, that I am german and Pegasus is releases constant and good. But the audience for Runequest is to small and will become smaller, when the release is not coming in the near future I‘m afraid. Promises without releases is not helping a small product like Runequest glorantha.

Just now, NurgleHH said:

Chaosium is not a reliable company when you see their realeres. I always waited for new material for Cthulhu. In the moment I am in the comfortable situation, that I am german and Pegasus is releases constant and good. But the audience for Runequest is to small and will become smaller, when the release is not coming in the near future I‘m afraid. Promises without releases is not helping a small product like Runequest glorantha.

Well I'm sorry but there's not much anyone can do about that and complaining about it definitely ain't gonna change the facts.

1 hour ago, NurgleHH said:

I'm not sure it's fair to paint (today) Chaosium with (recent) Chaosium.

All I can say from my experience is that they labored mightily to fulfill commitments made by their predecessors, but didn't really have to except to try to recover the name's reputation.  That's laudable.

I can certainly agree that former Chaosium had some serious problems. 

But I think we need to let this be their first big launch.  I mean, perhaps they're being vague on release dates SPECIFICALLY to address your difficulty: not hitting released dates?  I think it's going to come out as fast as they can get it out the door.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NurgleHH said:

Do you realize that Chaosium was in the process of going bankrupt... without ever finishing their CoC7e KickStarter?  They had literally run out of money, and had no way to fulfill all their obligations!

The new owners/managers stepped in, and fronted their own personal money to complete and fulfill the KS that the prior managers had mismanaged... and now there are more than a dozen titles out for CoC 7e, plus the upcoming RQG, and many other items en train.

They are now announcing no release date for RQG because there are items remaining to complete, whose completion-time is unpredictable; and there were too many prior complaints over missing announced (obviously over-optimistic!) dates.  "It'll be done when it's done" is the official policy; and honestly, that's good enough.  They have recently stepped up their promo''ing, and have announced a live-play "product premiere" event streaming in a week or so; I expect this means it is coming very soon indeed!

I was one of the people complaining, previously, about them slipping on announced dates.  I was perfectly willing to believe in missed deadlines and mis-estimated timeframes, I just disliked the pattern of slipped dates and only silence.  I prefer their new policy; it sets the expectation in line with what they are doing:  they are now living up to their promises 100%

And frankly, the new-to-RQ market won't become appreciably smaller simply by Chaosium delaying release; non-RQ players will just see it as "yet another announced-but-unreleased game," and evaluated on the reviews they read and seeing it in FLGS's when it finally does get released.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

I agree with the above.

These days many more people complain over minor things than we used to see. Customer impatience like this never was an issue a decade or so ago. 

What possibly is wrong if RQG is overdue? Its not like this is a crowd-funded project. 

If we had funded the game then I agree we can have a voice of sorts. Fair enough. But I think it's a bit out of line to complain about a private business's schedule when all you want to receive is a luxury product (as opposed to a service).

I don't care if someone is German, French, Aussie, Californian, or from Zimbubwei or whatever - its just plain rude to jump on a forum like this and complain when a product is running a little behind schedule, then further dish out on the company in such a manner.

People who have read my posts over the years will know that I try to be a friendly and constructive poster where possible. I dont often throw gasoline on fires, but I draw the line when someone is blatantly rude.

That post regarding the RQG schedule was completely out of line and uncalled for. I hope that if any Chaosium employees see that post  then they will realise that it is not a true reflection of their customer base here.

It's not like the authors have taken anyone's money and sitting in a sunny tax-haven somewhere drinking margaritas at everyone's expense.

(Well, hopefully not...☺️)

I am actually quite proud of how things have turned around for Chaosium. From almost bankruptcy a few years ago to an increase in production standards, and now the cusp of a welcome re-release of a popular line.  

I would much rather Chaosium take time and effort with RQG and release it on their terms, not anyone's else.

Everyone has plenty of BRP games to play with during the interim 😁

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 4

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I started out quite anti-RQG since I had Mythras and couldn’t see why I’d bother with a ‘retro edition’ but I’ve got to say thanks to the guys great promotion and general engagement I’m looking forward to adding this to my RPG collection. It’ll be my Glorantha game and welcome for it.

As to the ‘delays’ I’d rather that than see a rushed out product and to be honest I don’t think it’s taking that long (except as a reflection of my own impatience).

• Like 2

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”