RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha is Coming—Sign up and we'll let you know the moment it launches!

MOB

1 hour ago, HorusArisen said:

I started out quite anti-RQG since I had Mythras and couldn’t see why I’d bother with a ‘retro edition’ but I’ve got to say thanks to the guys great promotion and general engagement I’m looking forward to adding this to my RPG collection. It’ll be my Glorantha game and welcome for it.

And there is no reason not to stay with Mythras either. The Mythras line of games is quite good, and there are some things I prefer in Mythras over classic BRP.

I am also proud of how the DM consistently puts out great products and settings. It just doesnt include Glorantha these days, thats all.

BRP in Glorantha is RQG, I can live with that. Plus we can homebrew what we like or even use another BRP game if we want. Its the Gloranthan content portrayal that I'm impressed with.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

13 hours ago, NurgleHH said:

In the moment I feel very bored about the politics of Chaosium.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any at the moment. It's company that produces games not the US government.

Old men try to be interesting.

I know at least four games companies where the main owners are in the 40s-50s age group. Some of them likely run the companies that produce product for you. Thankfully they are producing interesting product. English is clearly not your first language, so biting the hand that feeds you is a phrase to explore.

Not giving arelease date and try to make it mystic is not verygood for Runequest.

You don't seem understand the milestones in the gaming industry. There are two big ones, Gen Con in the US and Essen in Europe. Other countries have their own event such as UK games expo here and Dragonmeet to a lesser extent. RQG is coming out for Gen Con where it will have a huge audience, all the right media will be there. Tens of thousands of people.

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/7558-that-chaosium-seminar-from-chimériades/?tab=comments#comment-105629

Most companies aim for these milestone events where actual people can hold and play real games. 

The teaser game is uncomplete and not really usable. Why this?

Quickstart games are not teasers, they are a great way of finding out if you like something without the financial commitment. You've clearly not played it. It's a complete game in itself. It's not designed for anything else and it's free! I suspect a large number of people here have enjoyed this adventure, I did. It clearly worked in your case. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

18 hours ago, NurgleHH said:

Chaosium is not a reliable company when you see their realeres. I always waited for new material for Cthulhu. In the moment I am in the comfortable situation, that I am german and Pegasus is releases constant and good. But the audience for Runequest is to small and will become smaller, when the release is not coming in the near future I‘m afraid. Promises without releases is not helping a small product like Runequest glorantha.

By all accounts the new RuneQuest pdf release is imminent. With hard copy to follow later. I think in time for Gencon. We know layout is complete. Hang on in there! 

Jeff of Chaosium is Gming the official premiere of the new RuneQuest live on twitch May 28th at stupid o’clock for Europeans, but hopefully there will be a recording too. See this:

In out latest RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha preview we've updated the RQG character sheet we shared earlier.

Formatting problems and typos from the earlier preview have now been corrected.  Many thanks for your feedback! Permission is granted copy or share the RQG Character Sheets for personal (non-commercial) use.

Note: the RQG Character sheet is now split into four files:

• RQG Preview - Character Sheet Page 1
  • RQG Preview - Character Sheet Page 2
  • RQG Preview - Family Background Sheet
  • RQG Preview - Adventurer Worksheet

Available in the RQG Preview Folder (on Dropbox). If you want to join the list to get sneak peeks at RQG sign up here: http://eepurl.com/dtqE9T.

1990232725_ScreenShot2018-05-24at4_02_26pm.png.cbbf2591d5599993a244ae7fc3fcd661.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving most of the things I'm seeing in the RQG previews. Character sheet looks good.

I think I may have preferred the Hit Location Figure to look similar to the RQ3 one, but that's about it. I would have preferred Skill Categories to be stat+stat, but that horse bolted a long time ago. As far as the character sheet goes, everything looks pretty good.

Except I still greatly prefer the cover of the RQG Quickstart to the RQG cover that we have been shown. The RQG Quickstart just feels right sitting alongside RQ Classic, and I think it resonates as being the same game line. The new cover is cool, but I would have preferred that picture early on in the book rather than on the cover, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Ok that was my lone voice in the wilderness that had to get that out.

Everything else looks really cool and I'm putting some gold coins aside to ensure I can get this pretty close to publication. 

PS: A form-fillable version of the character sheet will be pretty desirable from the get-go. I think that should be a priority, as it really helps keep the sheet looking neat, and many gamers like things like that. 

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

6 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Loving most of the things I'm seeing in the RQG previews. Character sheet looks good.

I think I may have preferred the Hit Location Figure to look similar to the RQ3 one, but that's about it. I would have preferred Skill Categories to be stat+stat, but that horse bolted a long time ago. As far as the character sheet goes, everything looks pretty good.

Except I still greatly prefer the cover of the RQG Quickstart to the RQG cover that we have been shown. The RQG Quickstart just feels right sitting alongside RQ Classic, and I think it resonates as being the same game line. The new cover is cool, but I would have preferred that picture early on in the book rather than on the cover, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Everything else looks really cool and I'm putting some gold coins aside to ensure I can get this pretty close to publication. 

PS: A form-fillable version of the character sheet will be pretty desirable from the get-go. I think that should be a priority, as it really helps keep the sheet looking neat, and many gamers like things like that. 

I agree every single letter.

• Like 1

I can’t deny the QuickStart cover was great.  I like that tradition of taking the viewer directly into the heat of the action fighting a monstrosity. It’s an action scene with real physicality.  It worked back in the day and still works now.

Though I think the new cover is very impressive and will look spectacular in print. It has great details that keep you looking 

• Like 2

I did NOT want to have the cover of RQG be another homage to RQ2 - I wanted it to be its own thing (just as the RQ3 cover was not an homage to RQ2).

And I rejected having Skill Categories to be stat+stat for lots of design reasons that I really don't think I need to go into here. 

There  will be a form-fillable version of the character sheet.

• Like 5

On 5/22/2018 at 8:15 PM, NurgleHH said:

In the moment I feel very bored about the politics of Chaosium. Old men try to be interesting. Not giving arelease date and try to make it mystic is not verygood for Runequest. The teaser game is uncomplete and not really usable. Why this?

I've been bored with the politics at Chaosium for over 30 years.

Also, I think that Jeff and Rick are younger than me, so I'm now an old man! 😟

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I saw some of the artwork at Eternalcon and met with one of the artists. It was refreshing how completely enthusiastic he was about the project and the whole RuneQuest/Gloranthan theme. Looks like he has a lot of good ideas for the future.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

I saw some of the artwork at Eternalcon and met with one of the artists. It was refreshing how completely enthusiastic he was about the project and the whole RuneQuest/Gloranthan theme. Looks like he has a lot of good ideas for the future.

I think the artwork is excellent. Captures the ancient flavour of Glorantha, yet looks very fresh. Its going to be a beautiful edition.

Edited by Mankcam

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

I did NOT want to have the cover of RQG be another homage to RQ2 - I wanted it to be its own thing (just as the RQ3 cover was not an homage to RQ2).

And I rejected having Skill Categories to be stat+stat for lots of design reasons that I really don't think I need to go into here. 

There  will be a form-fillable version of the character sheet.

Although I prefer that cover homage to RQ2, I can certainly understand your creative  reasons for not going with that.

The stat vs base chance debate prob will never resolve. Guess thats an issue with redesigning a legacy system, choosing which route to take or return to. Can't make everyone happy. But yeah, lets not waste time on that since the horse has already bolted.

Everything else seems spot on for what I would  want in a new edition of RQ, and in fact it looks like exceeding my expectations.

Thats also great news regarding a form fillable character sheet. Excellent!

Edited by Mankcam

On 5/25/2018 at 10:49 PM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

I can’t deny the QuickStart cover was great.  I like that tradition of taking the viewer directly into the heat of the action fighting a monstrosity. It’s an action scene with real physicality.  It worked back in the day and still works now.

Though I think the new cover is very impressive and will look spectacular in print. It has great details that keep you looking 

As I did the art direction for both the RQ Quickstart cover and RQG (the original version that appears in 13th Age Glorantha; Jeff worked with Andrey on making it worthy of the RQG cover by adding in the pregens etc), I'll take that as a compliment. 

We paid homage to RQ2 with the Quickstart, with the iconic woman warrior fighting the burrito monster lizard, which meant we could move on to something new and striking for the RQG rules themselves. Though as Simon says, it does still have the homage within it...

Vasanas.png.48340673066bc4687999195628071b59.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1

I've uploaded 3 desktop-wallpaper excerpts (1920x1280) in full resolution and colors from the preview drops:

1) is the latest Snakepipe fight.  My favorite, you really see the detail the artist put into the work - the blood spatter, etc.   

2) is exploring the ruins  

3) are the trolls from exploring the ruins.  

Enjoy (or, MOB, if you're not ok with these being up, just delete)!

• Like 1

So how do I claim my free copy?  I never heard back from Encounter Roleplay.  I suppose I should be patient, but that's a bit hard when the game is so tantalizingly close.  I'm tempted to just say screw the free pdf, I'd rather pay and get it right now.

Just a brief glance by going thru all the pages to see the art. 

It is gorgeous. Loads of magnificent art. 

It is also intimidating in size. 448 pages (as per what Mac Pdf reader says) and does not even contain the bestiary or a starter scenario - these will come later. Only humans on this rule book.

The maps are very dark - very difficult to see the text even on a screen - can they be lightened for the print version or even the pdf.

Did not notice captions for the art on a brief glance - was there somewhere a list what the art depicts - many glorantha aficionados will know but others might wonder...  

Need to get the hard cover, can't wait. Now for the real thing - bestiary - where are you my precious...can't wait. 

Good to see a few Finnish artists there...

Will need to borrow some time from somewhere to read this properly through...

Did I say it is GORGEOUS and VERY evocative.  

--h

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hkokko said:

Need to get the hard cover, can't wait. Now for the real thing - bestiary - where are you my precious...can't wait. 

There is a link to a 16 page excerpt from the Bestiary on the RuneQuest product page that might help tide you over...

1616499083_ScreenShot2018-06-01at3_31_31pm.png.c717134bc90a915e811b673ac5af7b89.png

• Like 1