Free RPG day?

styopa

It looks like no RQ in Free RPG Day this year?  http://www.freerpgday.com/

Chaosium IS in it, with 

ChaosiumChaosium
Silver (5 per box)
Call of Cthulhu Adv: Scritch Scratch

I was kind of wondering if they were going to go through the substantial work (again) of distilling down another rule set, or even try to muddle through with extra copies of the 2017 Free RPG day version.

I had very positive feedback from the gamers playing and people watching our RQ adventure.

I mean, I get it.  PERSONALLY, no, if spending 40 hours on crunching down a new fresh quickstart rulebook meant the MAIN RQG book would be delayed, no I wouldn't prefer that.  But it's sad that this gorgeous new rule set is coming out without the 'splash' of Free RPG day. 

Or, Jeff/Jason know the economics better.  Maybe FreeRPG day ain't that much of a thang?

1 hour ago, Dimbyd said:

A second Runequest Quickstart is in the works for this year, roughly around the launch of the new core book. Most gaming companies only put out one Free RPG publication per year- Paizo & Goodman Games being exceptions.

Right, but not for Free RPG day; they'd have had to have that in to printing months ago I believe.

For every one of our fans that wants a free RPG day RQ product we have several times that number who request a CoC product.

We only have a big enough budget to do one product for free RPG day per year. There are 18 game companies participating this year.

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

For every one of our fans that wants a free RPG day RQ product we have several times that number who request a CoC product.

We only have a big enough budget to do one product for free RPG day per year. There are 18 game companies participating this year.

And it's worth noting that -- if you REALLY want to, and worked REALLY hard to escape them, you could probably evade the FreeRPGday JackBootedThugs(tm) * and run last year's RQ scenario over again.  Unless the FLGS is actually full-up with "official" stuff, they would probably be amenable, if asked...

* Of course no actual JackBootedThugs(tm) are involved in the production of FreeRPGday or the products of any participating companies.

C'es ne pas un .sig

I know a big part of the draw of Free RPG Day is the goodies people want to get their hands on, but providing a chance to play an RPG they may have never tried before is also important, right?  Expose new people to your RPG?  So, maybe provide a short adventure in PDF form for those that want to run a game on Free RPG Day?  Offer it through DriveThruRPG with free code for those that offer to run it during Free RPG Day?   Of course you need someone to manage those requests, but if you think of it in terms of advertising/promotion it seems worth the time. 

I ran a Fringeworthy (fairly obscure these days) adventure last year and had no issues getting a table.  Most stores just want to fill up their gaming schedule.