Opinions on Damage

SDLeary

My experimental black hack inspired Quest Hack has a table of damage based on Strength like this:

Rating    Damage Roll
1-5        1
6-10    D3
11-15    D4
16-20    D6
21-25    D8
26-30    D10
31-35    D12
36-40    2D6
41-45    2D8
46-50    2D10

Rating = Strength + Weapon Damage Rating

Light weapons like dagger and clubs give +5, swords and spears give +10, 2 handed weapons add Strength again.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

As for myself, an idea I've always wanted to try but never had the chance to use is to base damage on the tens of the skill roll, counting criticals as 10 (and also base damage reduction from parry on it).

How to factor difference in SIZ and STR into it is a problem. Should I add +1 damage for every X points of different in SIZ and/or STR between opponents, for instance ?

That could perhaps lead me to base hit points on CON alone.

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

As for myself, an idea I've always wanted to try but never had the chance to use is to base damage on the tens of the skill roll, counting criticals as 10 (and also base damage reduction from parry on it).

So a character with a 80% skill is effectively rolling an extra 1D8 damage every time they hit?

Unless damage from the weapon and damage bonus are reduced somehow this will lead to generally higher damage totals. In fact for skilled characters it's not far off from scoring a special success (roll weapon damage again) on every hit.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

As for myself, an idea I've always wanted to try but never had the chance to use is to base damage on the tens of the skill roll, counting criticals as 10 (and also base damage reduction from parry on it). How to factor difference in SIZ and STR into it is a problem. Should I add +1 damage for every X points of different in SIZ and/or STR between opponents, for instance ?

I'm working on something where what is rolled on the tens die is that damage, if the roll is successful. So if you roll a 56 you do 5 points (possibly to location 6).

What I did for STR/SIZ and weapons is to treat them as a partial multiplier. For instance if instead of a +1, I double damage if the damage tens die is a 1, but not if it's higher. That way I don't wind up having  large adds that prevent minor hits. Someone who has 10 points of damage adds would simply do double damage and so on. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.