RWBY/RWBY Chibi

Michael Hopcroft

Hmmm, I will have to dig through the BGB and see what options we have to represent Aura.  As before, I know how I would do it in Champions but BRP is a different beast.

Speaking of beasts, I've been intending to stay up a generic Beowulf but real life has gotten in the way.

On 6/24/2018 at 8:52 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Now how do we determine the relative strength of characters' Aura Points?

Something POW-based, and with some super-power contributing, but also that can be trained / raised.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/24/2018 at 8:52 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Now, how do we determine the relative strength of characters' Aura Points?

32 minutes ago, g33k said:

Something POW-based, and with some super-power contributing, but also that can be trained / raised.

Something like CoC Sanity, then, only with a much faster recovery rate (if you haven't reached the point of physical injury, you can recover a good deal of your Aura with rest, especial;ly a good night's sleep, and/or meditation if you're into that kind of thing).

Once you have been damaged, though, you can;t regenerate the physical harm using Aura. You still have to use healing and medicine from a third party. If you, for example, lose an arm, you simply don't have that arm anymore. It won't "grow back".

Beowulf, the grunts of the Grimm

STR 6d6+10 (31)

CON 2d6+1d6+2 (13)

SIZ 5d6+10 (28)

INT 1d6+2 (6)

POW 3d6 (10-11)

DEX 2d6+6 (13)

Move:  14

Damage bonus:  +3d6

Hit points:  21 (41 CON+SIZ)

Armor:  3 (tough hide, fur); 5 on head (skull covering)

Attacks:  Bite 25%, 1d10+1/2db; Claws (2) 50%, 1d6+db

Skills:  Dodge 26%, Listen 75%, Sense 90%, Track 80%

Notes:  Used the Big Gold Book's polar bear stats plus the DEX and skills of a wolf.  Nothing particularly supernatural so far, just a large, dangerous predator with low sentience (and the capacity to become smarter).

3 hours ago, seneschal said:

Works out the same, doesn't it?  But that is how the BGB suggested upgrading a black bear to a polar bear.  So I went with it.

Oh sure. I don't have a problem with it. I was just curious, and wondered if there was some sort of reason for it-like the way db is kept separate. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I wonder how to model the Nevermore. Nevermores are enormous (capable of swallowing someone whole) raven-like birds who, while incapable of speech, seem to display fiendish cleverness in battle. The one teams RWBY and JNPR fought in the first season was strong enough to shatter a stone bridge, and was only brought down by a really clever move on the part of Ruby Rose (with help from the others) that ended withe the monster decapitated. Do Grimm need to breathe?

Fortunately it's a lot easier to model the special abilities of a monster than the powers and enhancements of a player-character. Monsters can just be defined as "This is what the monster can do, and here is what you roll to do it". PCs are much more granular.

Even in a fully point-based game, I never count points when writing up a monster, or even most NPCs. I just think of what they can do, whether the PCs should have a chance against them, and what the story requires of them. That makes it easier to justify only exposing a portion of their powers in early encounters so that the PCs can get a "What? She can do that?" moment. (I'm looking at you, Cinder Fell. And you, Raven Branwen.) 

Being the villain means never having to say you're sorry (or having to justify your write-up).  😉

Based on footage of a fight with a giant Nevermore (link below) a mature specimen appears to be dinosaurian in dimensions but probably has a much lower mass (weight of a pachyderm?) because of its adaptations for flight.  Use this lower mass for SIZ.  Main attack is a massive peck; treat secondary feather shooting as a volley of spears.  In addition to whatever Armor it has, give it Protection vs. kinetic attacks to represent its uncanny durability.  Have it make a Throw or Projection roll to hurl feathers at prey.  It also has a pretty good Dodge roll despite its bulk.  Note that this an unusually large individual.   

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7QLDpsAUIrk

Edited by seneschal
Add links, correct typos

The characters with the most raw power are the Four Maidens, who are thankfully all NPCs. maidens don't need Dust to produce magical effects, which are heavily tied into classical elements. The power transfers from person to person (only women so far) to the next person you think of before you die. This means Maidens have enormous targets on their backs, because you can gain that power for yourself by killing them.

Fortunately only NPC Maidens have shown up so far. They are deadly in combat (they have to be), and the ones we've seen the most of have the ruthlessness and tactical acumen to go with it. Even with that, your life expectancy shortens considerably when you have those powers.

• 2 weeks later...