Pavis County, Prax and the Zola Fel 1622-1627?

Evilroddy

To the wise Magi and Priests of Gloranthan lore:

Well, after some adventures and misadventures in Talastar, Larkene, the Skanthi Wilds, Brolia and hellish Dorastor the surviving party members and two new characters to replace the departed player characters plus one NPC have their hearts settled on returning to Pavis County, the Zola Fel Valley and the Prax. They figure more than four years away is enough time to let the local authorities forget their past indiscretions and misdemeanors (even though they were more like anti-Lunar sedition, rebellion and out-right felonies). But here is the problem. By the time they get to Pavis it will be mid to late 1622. The aftermath of the Fimbulwinter will be in full force and no doubt the Zola Fel Valley, Pavis County and Sun County will be in the midst of desperate famine, privation and turmoil. One of the reasons they left the River of Cradles region in 1617 was the hardships of drought and famine which along with their Lunar-difficulties made their lives untenable. The aftermath of the Fimbulwinter will no doubt be much worse than1617-18 so I need some information to update the campaign setting.

Given the potential for disorder and open revolt, I am wondering what the canonical history of the region is up to the conquest of Pavis by the Praxians and rebels and the post conquest order in Pavis, Sun County, the former Grantlands and the rest of the Prax up to 1627? Let's say for the five-year period from 1622-1627. 

This is what I know (or think I know) or have pieced together as best as possible. The combined forces of rebellion under Aragrath White-bull, Aragrath Dragonspear and maybe other liberators overthrow the Lunars in Pavis County and the Zola Fel Valley. The Aragraths and Praxians plus many rebels hastily march west and get themselves mauled by Lunar demons and miltary attacks; the survivors scattering and falling back in disarray.. Rather than consolidating power in Pavis the new regime moves on to Sartar and Tarsh leaving behind a rump force and leadership to manage the collapse of Lunar authority. So whose in charge in post "Liberation" Pavis? How damaged was the city of New Pavis, the Rubble communities and the rest of Pavis County from the Fimbulwinter and the liberation? How did places like Garhound, Zebra Fort, Major, and the other small towns, hill forts or earthen berm EWF-patterned forts of Pavis County manage during the "Liberation"? How depopulated is the region and how displaced are the centres of settlement in the valley?

What has happened in Sun County? Solanthos is dead. Invictus rises for a time but falls and a succession schism between followers of Vega and Belvani occurs, splitting Sun County and Suntown (Pavis) loyalties. Rurik plays no major role in the post Invictus schism and basically focuses his attentions on supporting the wars in Sartar and Tarsh. What about other major families and personalities in both Sun County and Suntown? How do they fair?

What is the fate of the Grantland settlers and the River folk communities? I know Raus leads an exodus as far as Corflu and then ships out for parts unknown. If the Lunars have lost all of their sea ports and thus their access to the sea, then how are former Grantlanders of any status supposed to get back to lunar controlled territories? Is there a pro-Lunar underground-railway at work in Esrolia and the Grazelands, despite recent regime changes?

What becomes of the rest of Prax? The Fimbulwinter and the subsequent upheavals must have effected if not out-right shut down trade for a time. How have the various communities from the Paps to Barbarian Town/Exile Stead to Adari faired in the turmoil and privation following the fall of Whitewall, the disaster of the Fimbulwinter and the collapse of the Lunar military dominance?

What are the best printed and digital sources for getting a better understanding of the changes over this five-year period? I have the GtoG but that is a broad-strokes source, so there is not enough local detail to piece together a new and detailed setting for players to deal with.

Perhaps this thread could serve as an ongoing vessel for building up a clearer picture of the period unless other pre-existing threads are about which I have forgotten or am unaware of already exist? If they exist could somebody clue me in.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer this lost Gloranthan traveller as he attempts to cobble together a post-Fimbulwinter River of Cradles campaign that is at least close to canon in its progression above the character level. I fear I may just kill them all through starvation or strife unless I get a better handle on this period.

Cheers.

Evilroddy.

Edited by Evilroddy
  • Like 1

If they don't want to enter famine and desperation, have them make the detour through Balazar and Gonn Orta's Pass, that may allow you to arrive in the Zola Fel valley after the battle of the Aurochs Hills.

Post-Windstop Sun County has two factions, with the draconic one under Belvani apparently without as much support as Vega's traditionalist one. @MOB has reported snippets of this several times, try googling for Belvani or Vega Goldbreath to find these.

The few survivors from the grantlands might be found in Sun County, Pavis, or Corflu, with a small chance that Raus Fort might have held out by paying tribute to some nomad faction. Others may still survive as slaves of Praxian clans or joining oasis folk e.g. at Horngate.

With the severe conditions of the Fimbulwinter, I think that most of them will make a new start under the protection of the Sun Domers rather than going back to contested and unprotected grants. When Argrath takes over in New Pavis, he might accept some of them in depopulated Pavis County, too. I would expect the displaced Lunars to group around Annstad of Dunstop, the leading Lunar follower of Argrath, rather than repair connections to the Heartlands.

The River Folk never went away, IMO, and living off the river would be harder but far from impossible - after all, Zola Fel never stopped flowing in the Greater Darkness.

Argrath returns only in 1624, after the Battle of Pennel Ford. I have no idea what happens in Prax in the two years in between, other than the ongoing efforts to build the Lunar Temple on its western border.

The native Pavisites have gone through the troll occupation with about as bad provision, so I expect them to have good survival policies which they might have shared with the Sartarite and other immigrants to Pavis. Still, a depopulation of 40% seems likely, with a greater proportion of elders and children affected, and possibly worse outside of the city than inside, where the Lunar occupation forces still receive some food support, and possibly some food to share for missionary purposes.

Once Argrath installs the White Bull empire, I guess he organizes a regular support with herd beasts.

I expect the Pavis Temple and the mayor and magistrates to act as governors for Argrath. Once the White Bull is entrenched in Pavis, it only becomes a center of his activities and rallying point after his epic loss against the Empire (at Yoran, more than 12 years in the future).

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Evilroddy said:

Well, after some adventures and misadventures in Talastar, Larkene, the Skanthi Wilds, Brolia and hellish Dorastor the surviving party members and two new characters to replace the departed player characters plus one NPC have their hearts settled on returning to Pavis County, the Zola Fel Valley and the Prax.

I'd like to read what kind of adventures did they have in those places. Do you keep a chronicle somewhere?

As far as the famine and the Fimbulwinter go, IMHO the easiest way to solve this if you don't like them to happen just now would be to put that off for a while and then hit your players with it when they least expect it.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Thats quite a chunk of info, however it's pretty straightforward. Lots of stuff isn't detailed as it's hooks for adventures!

1621 Argrath exits Praxian affairs stage left on the cradle.

1622 Windsday/Death Week/Dark Season, the windstop starts. Take a look at the map in the Guide, it's actually one that I made to look at its effects in Prax. The WIndstop laps just into Vultures Country so all of Prax is under its influence. At the end of Dark Season there is no Storm season, the cold continues, snow starts to fall and the White Princess is freed from her home. Many lunars return with Sor-eel to the empire or to bolster the defences of the new Lunar temple. The Great Darkess returns to Prax. All of the immobile survivor communities use their magics from the Great Darkness to survive. The most herds cross into the Wastes, but the Pol-Joni are badly affected and many head to the Paring Stones to start the Lightbringers Quest. The pro-lunar sables phratries turn to foreign magics to survive in their ancestral grazing around moonbroth, while the others cross into the Wastes. By Sacred Time, the ground was frozen, the plants sleeping and any unprotected clans and herds had begun to die. In the Second week, the priestesses shut the great stone doors of the Paps and began the journey downward to Ernalda. No one was left outside.

Wind khans and Sky Gazer shaman began great ceremonies at the Paring Stones. Many set out to the Otherworlds, never to return. Khans walked the land as Waha did, looking to find and help survivors. Storm Bulls fought great chaos at the Block. Trolls roamed freely from the Rubble, many invading the Garden as the elves withdrew underground. Zola Fel was frozen and communities all along the valley could not plant crops, and had to rely on their ancestors memories to save them. Pavisites moved into the temple and underground. The River Folk were nearly destroyed and survived in a few enclaves, many aided by the Newtlings.

1623 In Earth season, disorder week, Earth day, Air and Sky HeroQuesters return to Pairing Stone,  Orlanth’s ring does not reappear, but three new stars instead. These new stars followed the path of Orlanth’s Ring up the Sky Dome. The winds return, and Ernalda reawakens. Meltwater pours down the Zola Fel wreaking great damage to the communities astride it. With the land warming, the nomads begin to return to Prax. Tacius preys on their eagerness and begins a ritual to bind their Protectresses into the magics of the New Lunar Temple. Their sacrifices would feed the new altar to Yara Aranis. but Waha's magics are strong and many khans are abroad in Prax, the Dark Eater is again thwarted and by Sacred time the land is much recovered.

Alhough the Armistice of Prax still forbade attacks on the settled territory, the Govenor’s abrupt departure with most of the Lunar garrison at the start of the windstop tempted increasing numbers of nomad bands to raid along the borders.

By Sacred time, Prax was returning slowly to normal. The settled land were in a terrible state, scoured by meltwater and debris, and a second year with no crops.

I'd suggest at least a 10% die off amongst the settlements, oases and sables, 20% amongst the Pol-Joni, 20-50% for riverside settlements. 

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

How does the areas in the Rubble around the Zola Fel fare physically in the deluge, well that's up to you. You could hand wave it and say it survived really well, minimal damage, or at the other extreme, scoured banks, bridges gone, ogre island wrecked/covered in debris or swept clear with ogres woken. Dwarves all over it repairing the banks, etc. I think it comes down to - do you like redrawing maps...

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Thats quite a chunk of info, however it's pretty straightforward. Lots of stuff isn't detailed as it's hooks for adventures!

1621 Argrath exits Praxian affairs stage left on the cradle.

1622 Windsday/Death Week/Dark Season, the windstop starts.

Shouldn't that be 1621, the Fall of Whitewall? Your date makes it look like there is an entire year between the Fall of Whitewall and the onset of the WIndstop.

And the Windstop should be weakened by the New Breathers from the Battle of the Aurochs Hills.

The Great Darkess returns to Prax.

IMO it doesn't. The Covenant still is in place, only the growth seasons are out of order. The world doesn't dissolve, with gaps appearing between shards of reality. What we get instead is the last stage of the Lesser Darkness. The winds have departed into the Underworld. So has Ernalda's fertility. Valind, though broken by Chaos, rules.

The dissolution of reality which really defined the Great Darkness, and which was turned among others by the I Fought We Won event, has no part in the Windstop. Neither has the Ritual of the Net, or the use of the fertility of Prax to imprison the Devil. All of the main events of the Great Darkness are skipped. Instead, we jump straight into the Gray Age. All of this still IMO.

The sun is not in the Underworld. It's presence doesn't alter anything in the affected area, however, only the light affects the region under the spell, not the heat. Apart from their loss of Ernaldan fertility, the Sun Domers have all the light they ever had.

1623 In Earth season, disorder week, Earth day, Air and Sky HeroQuesters return to Pairing Stone,  Orlanth’s ring does not reappear, but three new stars instead.

Given the start of the Windstop in late 1621, shouldn't this event be in 1622?

I

13 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Shouldn't that be 1621, the Fall of Whitewall? Your date makes it look like there is an entire year between the Fall of Whitewall and the onset of the WIndstop.

Yes, I was doing it from memory:

1621 Windsday/Death Week/Dark Season, the windstop starts.

1622 In Earth season, disorder week, Earth day, Air and Sky HeroQuesters return to Pairing Stone,  Orlanth’s ring does not reappear, but three new stars instead.

It's not until the Battle of Pennel Ford that Orlanth is truly free.

I'll see if I can find my chronology rather than just doing it from memory

Edited by David Scott

-----

15 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Great Darkess returns to Prax.

IMO it doesn't.

To the Praxians currently alive, the Great Darkess returns to Prax. Clearly not the actual The Great Darkess but enough that their survival skills kick in. Yes the Sun is in the sky, but it's not warm enough the melt the ice - One half think it's Yelmalio, the other half likely don't care. Ernalda goes to sleep and her daughters. The Orlanth followers loose their powers as their god abandons them, etc.

-----

Just now, David Scott said:

To the Praxians currently alive, the Great Darkess returns to Prax. Clearly not the actual The Great Darkess but enough that their survival skills kick in. Yes the Sun is in the sky, but it's not warm enough the melt the ice - One half think it's Yelmalio, the other half likely don't care. Ernalda goes to sleep and her daughters. The Orlanth followers loose their powers as their god abandons them, etc.

I interprete this as a return of the Gray Age. Like I said, the covenant remains in place, so it isn't the new start at the start of the (Praxian) Gray Age. It is about finding survivable grazing grounds (though not the original ones) or alternative sources of fodder and food (with fodder probably the priority).

Did anyone release Oakfed? What can be made of the White Lady's blessing?

The beast rider clans outside of Prax don't suffer a bit from the Windstop unless they bet their herds' provision by entering grazings covered by it from the east or the north. I wonder whether clans inside the windstop all gravitate towards the Paps, or whether they go to the Hidden Greens instead.

5 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I'd like to read what kind of adventures did they have in those places. Do you keep a chronicle somewhere?

As far as the famine and the Fimbulwinter go, IMHO the easiest way to solve this if you don't like them to happen just now would be to put that off for a while and then hit your players with it when they least expect it.

Hi Runeblogger:

Alas I am a techno-dinosaur and though I take and keep handwritten, point form notes during the game sessions I have never transcribed them onto a digital format. Ironically quite a bit of my preparation work is done digitally now but the in-game recording is still done by hand. So sorry for that.

Cheers.

Evilroddy the anti-Zistorite Luddite.

David Scott: 

Thank you for your input, mythological rooting and chronology. The idea of a torrential spring-melt flood coursing down the Zola Fel Valley never even occurred to me. That's going to be another grim reality which the party will have to contend with either directly or after-the-fact.

This is all rather ironic because the party was originally intending to go west-faring out of Dorastor by the Kartolin Pass and on into Railos. At the last minute (and after about six months of preparation on my part) they got wet-feet, baulked and decided the crossing would be too risky for them. So they decided to go the "safe route" back to Pavis. Boy, are they in for a rude awakening!

Cheers.

Evilroddy.

• Sad 1

Joerg:

Great ideas as always. Thank you, sir!  The potential role of Annstad of Dunstop and Lunar refugees in the service of the Aragraths is one I had not even considered and might make for a good adventure, filled with ethical ambiguity for our plucky would-be rebels and our more Lunar ambivalent characters.

Cheers.

Evilroddy.

15 hours ago, Evilroddy said:

If the Lunars have lost all of their sea ports and thus their access to the sea, then how are former Grantlanders of any status supposed to get back to lunar controlled territories? Is there a pro-Lunar underground-railway at work in Esrolia and the Grazelands, despite recent regime changes?

They are already 'refugees' - I doubt that most have any desire/connection to return to their place of origin.  A natural terminus is Esrolia - particularly the rival cities of Nochet and Rhigos.  Nochet particularly has already been swelled by Sartarite refugees, and soon refugees from distant Seshnela will arrive.  Lunars may be looked on suspiciously, but it may be one of their better choices.

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

Post-Windstop Sun County has two factions, with the draconic one under Belvani apparently without as much support as Vega's traditionalist one. @MOB has reported snippets of this several times, try googling for Belvani or Vega Goldbreath to find these.

Rather than Google, just do a search here on the BRP site and you'll pick up most of these references .  

Or for quick reference check out:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/6957-1652-great-flood/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-98601

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5135-windstop-the-waters-and-the-skyfall/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-76559

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/7130-date-of-fall-of-new-pavis/?tab=comments#comment-99586

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5844-clan-feuds-and-orlanthi-law-in-pavis-county/?tab=comments#comment-85423

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/5260-the-riddle-maze-of-elder-wisdom-draconic-illumination-vs-nysalori-illumination/?tab=comments#comment-77680

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jajagappa:

Thank you for the links which you have graciously provided. I will look at them tonight and try to glean wisdom from the digital scrolls which you have generously shared with us. May all the good gods of knowledge protect you and bathe you in the gentle light of wisdom.

Cheers.

Evilroddy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joerg said:

Did anyone release Oakfed?

It's likely that oakfed was released by a Burner shaman in order to melt the snow and ice to get to the grazing below or to help in a rescue. Story hook.

What can be made of the White Lady's blessing?

The cold generated by the mythical interplay naturally freed her from the Winter Ruins. Part of the return to normality would be a khan meeting her as Waha did. Story hook.

The beast rider clans outside of Prax don't suffer a bit from the Windstop unless they bet their herds' provision by entering grazings covered by it from the east or the north.

Most clans have at least a single season within Prax as part of their migration pattern, not being able to cross the river would have caused much disruption their pattern of life. Likewise those with the Paps in their pattern at this time would be disrupted, blessings missed, etc. 

I wonder whether clans inside the windstop all gravitate towards the Paps, or whether they go to the Hidden Greens instead.

Nearly all the clans headed over the river into the wastes. Those that stayed, like some the sable phratries relied on other magics to help them. Only the oasis folk and the Most Respected Elder's clan would be in the paps, perhaps with another guest clan. it's likely that the Paps Khan and Storm Khan were out fighting chaos. Story hook.

Some clans that left late attempted the dangerous route Through Vultures Country. Story hook.

A few Pol-Joni clans also went into the Wastes. Story hook.

• Like 2

-----

1624 Dark Season. Argrath arrives a Jaldon's cairn and enters with his entourage on the eve of Waha's high Holy day. The next day, Jaldon is reborn as part of the High Holy day ceremony at the Paps. Egajia Chewer of Flesh, the Most Respected Elder declares the Armistice of Prax broken. She declares Jaldon Goldentooth Paps Khan, and Eiritha curses the absent Inire the Red, the now former Paps Khan.

Storm Season. Argrath & Jaldon's gathered army meets the Lunars at Moonbroth. Some survivors make it to the New Lunar Temple. Only the ghosts of the Antelope lancers return to the Hungry Plateau. The two pro-lunar sable phratries are destroyed, mostly by other Sables, all are put to the sword except uninitiated children. This also begins the purge of Seven mothers cultists from all other tribes. The Pol-joni move back into the Sable Ancestral lands. Pavis is besieged (see King of Sartar).

22 hours ago, Evilroddy said:

So whose in charge in post "Liberation" Pavis?

Argrath is King of Pavis. The city council reconvenes, they were alway in charge. There are Praxians once again the city council at Argrath's request.

How damaged was the city of New Pavis, the Rubble communities and the rest of Pavis County from the Fimbulwinter and the liberation?

There's likely a hole in the wall of new pavis, flintnail cultists are all over it. As before they are as damaged as you want.

How did places like Garhound, Zebra Fort, Major, and the other small towns, hill forts or earthen berm EWF-patterned forts of Pavis County manage during the "Liberation"? How depopulated is the region and how displaced are the centres of settlement in the valley?

The slaughter in the Grantlands begins quickly after the liberation of pavis. Everyone is killed, every building is burnt. The Armistice of Prax is over. Who escapes is a story hook.

Pavis county is under Argrath's protection, the nomads know better than to raid there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

-----

1625 Dragonrise.

OMG a giant dragon ate the New Lunar temple flew around a bit a then settle down again. All orlanthi settlers in Prax have flashbacks to the Dragonkill, most Praxians were happy not to be there. Some remember the dragon spirit in the Wastes that is sometimes encountered, the locals call it Grokka, and it calls itself All Eyes Open But One. Story hook.

Argrath takes his Praxian army into Dragon Pass with Jaldon at the head, doing what they love best - raiding.

The praxians return to normal, bickering and raiding, going to Dragon pass in wave after wave. Returning with loot and slaves.

1626-1627 More of the same.

The future: Jaldon is always a bad Paps Khan and always heads to Dragon Pass to raid, Roneer the Hue continues in his role of second husband to Egajia. This has two functions, it stops the genocidal backlash against the loyal Sable phratries and maintains Egajia's stable rule.

Jaldon however actually dies at some point before 1628, he doesn't come back. Save him for recovery in some mad LBQ in the future. He remains in the Great Herd with his own Herd Guard, separate from Waha's.

Egajia Chewer of Flesh dies in 1629 after 57 years as Most Respected Elder she was only 97. Her career started in 1572 when her predecessor Norta-Ia Bison-mother passed on to the Great Herd ending the Bison time. Norta-Ia had disastrously managed the Praxian presence on the Pavis city council causing the Praxians to be expelled (after an attempted coup). The Song of the Elders continued with the young Morokanth Grandmother Egajia being called by Eiritha as the 49th. She personally negotiated the Armistice of Prax, which ceded control over the lands along the River of Cradles to the Lunar Empire in exchange for promises to stay away from the holy places in Prax. She broke the Armistice when Jaldon returned. Finally she went to the Great Herd and the whispering song of the Earth Mothers continued:

Sesna, Impala, Haria, High Llama, Nansech, Sable, Joria, Zebra, Karataan, Bison, Yara-Tek, Morokanth

Urtung, Impala, Fa-Na-Anho, High Llama, Tereldrya, Sable, Han-Gar, Ostrich, Itrah, Bison, Nemmiyoung, Morokanth

Norateen, Impala, Roy-Na, High Llama, Mara-Tek, Sable, Hara Noyalda, Bolo, Suhamee, Bison, Fora-Daar, Morokanth

Katenia, Impala, Noymee, High Llama, Janyten, Sable, Teto-Tha, Rhino, Norta-Ia, Bison, Egajia, Morokanth

Who will be called from the Impala, we listen now, tell us grandmother.

Story hook

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 3

-----

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

1625 Dragonrise.

OMG a giant dragon ate the New Lunar temple flew around a bit a then settle down again. All orlanthi settlers in Prax have flashbacks to the Dragonkill, most Praxians were happy not to be there.

FROM 'THE GREAT WINTER AND THE TIME OF TWO COUNTS'

The Dragonrise

...the Dragonrise was an epic event seen across the world, causing mass panic, fear, wonder and awe. From his vantage point in the temple library, Hector the Wise surmised that something significant was about to happen when he observed the stars moving in unexpected ways that fateful night in Earth season, 1625. But even he was not prepared for the incredible sight of an immense True Dragon, obviously many miles long, rising out of the distant mountains the following day.

Unknown to everyone in Prax, in a catastrophic blow for the Lunar Empire the great Brown Dragon had just destroyed the new temple of the Reaching Moon, devouring most of the Lunar army and many of the Emperor’s most important priests and officials. Great rumbling shock waves attested to the dragon’s stupendous power. As one rippled its way across the plains it toppled one of the retirement towers next to the great Sun Dome. Although the damage to the temple was slight, the unfortunate hermit inside the tower (the suspected Lunar collaborator Laertes Coatilon) was killed, and wild stories began to spread that the Sun Dome Temple itself had been destroyed.

Safeguarding the County

As the panic rose, the countess put her forces on high alert. Fortunately, new arrows for the spear-throwing machine at Harpoon were to hand, having been made from the many tree trunks washed down in the Great Flood. Vega ordered it to be loaded and the targeteers to be vigilant.

Few remembered that the Great Ballista’s original purpose was to protect against dragons. It had been built in great fear after the Dragonkill War, when the people of the Sun Dome tore down their old temple, purged themselves of any vestiges of EWF-inspired solar draconism and returned to the unsullied, pure light of Yelmalio. The weapon originally protected the new Sun Dome Temple, but when draconic retribution never came, it was later moved to the high bluffs above the river near the village that now bears its name.

Vega realized that no one now had the means or expertise to move the harpoon back to the Sun Dome. But she was able to revive another old custom – along with the Great Ballista, a network of Dragonward towers had been built across the county in the aftermath of the Dragonkill War. Like the Arm of Pavis in the Rubble, these watchtowers once provided aerial defense and also served as heliograph stations. As fear of the dragons waned, and the prosperity of Sun County declined, the expense of maintaining the Dragonwardens weighed heavily. The network of towers was slowly dismantled, and their garrisons were reassigned. The mirrors were placed in the temple treasury, and the internal timbers reused elsewhere. Some towers were demolished. Most were left as shells. Retiring priests took to using them as hermitages, and with their original purpose almost forgotten they became known only as ‘retirement towers’.

To assure the people, the countess announced she was reinstating the Dragonwardens. New great mirrors would be fitted to the towers, or at least those in a fit enough condition (little heed was given to the peace and solitude of any hermits within). Sadly, long ago the Count known as Orogurri the Bison loved drink more than ceremony and had melted down all the great mirrors in the treasury to make gold cups for his warriors. To replace them, Vega organized a great requisition drive to collect gold and other metal items from across the county, gathering a huge quantity from the panicked people.

Revived Energies

The great dragon continued to fly in great spirals around Dragon Pass, circling Kero Fin and obscuring the Red Moon. As it did so, strange draconic energies revived that had been quiet since the days of the Empire of the Wyrms Friends.

In Prax, the Old Sun Dome temple again became a true place of power, and its once-cracked dome now glistened as if covered in scales.

In the Pavis Rubble, the Yelmalio garrison at Angle Fort (loyalists for Vega) were alarmed to see activity at the usually deserted Dragonewt Temple close by.  Swarms of dragonewts were converging there, many more than anyone had ever anticipated living in the vicinity. It looked like the dragonewts were repairing damaged plinths and pylons, and dragging great blocks to the site to build new ones. When the dream dragon Krang was seen flying up the valley towards Pavis, far from its usual haunts around Five Eyes temple, in horror Vega Goldbreath surmised they must be preparing a ritual to summon the True Dragon to Prax! She righteously resolved to stop them.

This led to the first time the two rival counts and their forces came into direct and bloody conflict with each other, Templar against Templar.

Ritual in the Rubble

Now back from Sartar to recruit another nomad army, Argrath White Bull himself participated in the ceremony in the Rubble, along with several of his Companions including Rurik. Clad in strange garments and headware, they joined the dragonewts in dancing around the dream dragon Krang to weird atonal music. Ringing the platform were Count Belvani and his Templars, who answered Argrath’s call to come to Pavis to defend them while they completed the ritual.

Belvani first saw off an attack by the trolls, who had long resented the temple’s presence ever since their dominance of the Rubble had been broken by the Dragonewts’ Dream.

Vega Goldbreath struck as soon as the trolls were driven away. Whereas the Templars of the rival counts had only weeks before striven against each other on the Shield Push field, now the fight was in deadly earnest. The forces of the countess were eventually repulsed, but not before many fell on both sides, including Count Belvani’s dragonewt servant, The Gamon. Belvani himself survived a stupendous Sunspear spell, cast by Vega, that left him blackened and smoking and her so stunned she had to be carried off the field. Meanwhile, because most of Belvani’s forces were in Pavis, the countess arranged a simultaneous surprise raid on the Old Sun Dome by her Golden Guard. This also failed: the Gold Wyrm still there saw to that.

Massacre at Five Eyes

The ceremony at the Dragonewt Temple continued, though at least the True Dragon never came to Prax. After a week, people were relieved to see it slowly settle below the mountains again. But following the ceremony in the Rubble, the dream dragon Krang flew back down the river valley, and was noticeably different: definitely bigger, and somehow more vital, magically resonant and threatening. Smarting from her earlier failure, the countess resolved to destroy this menace, sending a force to Five Eyes Temple. They failed to locate the dream dragon, but slaughtered every living thing they could find there, including the harmless old Trachodon priest Ruupar.

The Fall of the Old Sun Dome

Belvani’s prestige and power might have been weakened by the loss of Daystar in Sartar, but Vega feared moving directly against him again while the Golden Wyrm remained at large. Her chance finally came in Storm season, when Hector the Wise devised an ingenious plan to lure the wyrm to Harpoon, using the new mirrors of the Dragonward towers. When it came within range the Great Ballista shot it from the sky.

With the Gold Wyrm dead, the Countess now took swift and decisive action. In a second great clash between the rival claimants, Belvani and his Sun Dragon followers were driven out of the Old Sun Dome in Sea season, 1626. Throughout the next year, Vega followed this up with a widespread and bloody purge of the Sun Dome lands, seeking to eliminate any remaining draconic influences among the people. 

Rescued by nomad allies, Belvani retreated to Suntown in New Pavis, where he continues to plot his return to power.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

1625 Dragonrise.

OMG a giant dragon ate the New Lunar temple flew around a bit a then settle down again. All orlanthi settlers in Prax have flashbacks to the Dragonkill, most Praxians were happy not to be there.

I would have thought it was the other way around - for the Dragonkill War some 40,000 Orlanthi came from the south, with the sources unclear whether to plunder or to fight the True Golden Horde which consisted of northern Orlanthi, Dara Happans and Carmanians, and another 40,000 strong force consisting of Praxians with maybe 10% Sun Domers came from the East.

The relative loss of life to the home population was unproportionally higher to the Praxians than to the southern Orlanthi.

The vast majority of Orlanthi of Dragon Pass were not killed by the dragons -- many had fled to the south when the True Golden Horde came to their doorsteps, many of the rest had been killed by the True Golden Horde, or by those Praxians. When the dragons arrived at Dragon Pass, the True Golden Horde had come as far as Vanntar. I would be very astonished if by that time more than 10% of the original population of Dragon Pass Orlanthi were still alive in the region, and those still alive were most likely enslaved.

40,000 Praxian warriors killed basically cut down the Praxian population by a quarter or so.

Most Orlanthi whose descendants can remember were happy not to have been there.

Edited by Joerg

18 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I would have thought it was the other way around

There are two reasons for this - It's based on the destruction of homelands. Prax and the Wastes weren't depopulated by the Dragons although clearly Praxians died (but Praxians always die or get to go home) and in RQG Praxians can't get Fear Dragons from the 1625 Events table, although everyone else can (Lunar Tarshites more so).

-----

On May 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM, jajagappa said:

Jajagappa:

Thanks for the links. MOB's snippets and the commentary of others have been very useful in allowing me to form a better picture of the dire difficulties of the Fimbulwinter and its immediate aftermath in the Zola Fel Valley, Sun County and Pavis County. Now I have to figure out what happened else where in Prax.

Cheers.

Evilroddy.

To the wise Magi of Glorantha:

If I may be so bold as to pick your collective brains some more, I have a request for information or informed speculation about what happened during and immediately after the Fimbulwinter in Praxian communities which were not so nomadic. The communities I am interested in are Horngate, Biggle Stone, The Paps and its Sacred Ground, Tourney Altar, The Block and the Devil's Swamp, Exile Stead/Barbarian Town, Pimber's Block, Moonbroth and finally Adari.

I have my own ideas about what unfolds in these places and they are generally horrific with the exceptions of the Paps (which closes down and effectively hibernates), Agape, and Moonbroth (which is ruthlessly supplied by Lunar authorities "stealing" from Sartar and to a lesser extent Alda Chur and the Far Place).

Horngate suffers badly but clings on in desperation, realising a 30-40% drop in the town's and surrounding Oasis folk's population.

Biggle Stone is all but abandoned as the Praxians and the Lunars abandon it; it's Oasis Folk leave for either Horngate or Agape.

Agape, through magic and mystic means, becomes a hidden haven for the few who are lucky enough to reach it alive and weathers the disaster far better than most places in Prax.

Tourney Altar is depopulated badly and its Humakti/Iron-Man/Bronze-Treasure mercenaries mostly meet grisly fates fighting the waves of undead and malign spirits which result from the Fimbulwinter in a multitude of vain small scale quests throughout the Prax in order to hold back the rising tide of undeath. A small cadre of warriors cling on at Tourney Altar to maintain the holy places but most succumb to starvation or undead attacks before the worst is over. A large contingent of Tourney Altar based warriors head down to The Block to help the embattled and buckling Stormbullers and foreign Uroxi (who have been drawn there by dreams and visions) fight a prolonged eruption of chaotic undead from beneath the now-frozen Devils Swamp.

The Block is an open-air charnel house. The Stormbullers fight waves of broo, Bagogi, undead and other indescribable chaos horrors in a protracted and great slaughter which depopulates both groups very badly. Only the arrival of foreign Uroxi from abroad and Humakti and their allies from Tourney Altar prevent a triumph of Chaos around and under The Block. But the cost is high with 75-80% deaths among the fanatic defenders from wounds, disease, starvation and spiritual annihilation. Chaotic activity below the surface is so strong that The Block itself subsides about two and a half meters on its south side and tips ever so slightly in a mini-earthquake during a bitterly cold night in 1623. The Griffins temporarily abandon The Block for better hunting grounds or perish due to starvation, a few only returning in mid 1624. The subterranean struggle below the now frozen swamp and the adjacent Block is mindnumbingly brutal and desperate. Those who survive are on the verge of insanity or divine ecstasy.

Exile Stead is all but eliminated as a population centre as starvation, disease, slave raids and waves of chaotic and undead attackers overwhelm its people, already weakened by Orlanthi rebels taking their best warriors and vital supplies to fight the Lunars and to restore Orlanth. By early 1624 it is all but a ruined ghost town.

Pimber's Block is abandoned and its function is taken over by its slavers moving to Moonbroth and buying huge numbers of starving slaves to work on and die at the new Temple of the Reaching Moon in what used to be north-western Dundealos land.

Moonbroth is maintained as best as possible by Lunar supply trains but those not closely allied to the Lunar cause are either enslaved, starve to death or leave the Oasis. Lunar soldiers and allies eek out a miserable existence but at least survive the disaster for the most part.

Adari meets a horrible fate as starving Uz turn it into an open air prison and giant larder for captured beasts and sentient creatures. The food supply eventually peters out however and the trolls themselves finally abandon the town to head to better hunting grounds in Sartar, The Far Place and Southern Balazar. All that's left are broken bones and the quite abandoned ruins of the troll hovel/midden and the pillaged-clean, walled town.

Any ideas, corrections or suggestions from any and all are appreciated. Crikey this is depressing stuff!

Cheers?

Evilroddy.

Edited by Evilroddy
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Evilroddy said:

The Block itself subsides

Genius. "They have nudged . . . that which was unnudgable."

Good moment to bring back all the chaos vectors from Shadows on the Borderland and other scenarios who survive previous player character intervention. Muriah and her gang, the ogres, Thanatar cultists, the vampire of the Sun Dome, maybe even those awful undead lurking in the Krarsht complex. The greatest hits of depravity: if they can run, slither or flop to help free their master they're on their way.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

singer sing me a given