Dredj

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to be a member of that sight and its recruiting is closed

I do not suppose any one else has this as a PDF, OR SOME SUCH link to get it>

:D

I'm having that same problem. I found a plain text download of all the rules somewhere. Probably tomorrow, when I'm at my own computer, I'll post it.

Does someone own it and can you make it into a pdf?

There is a woefully formatted text copy on the web, but the author specifically asked people not to reformat it, so posting a PDF copy wouldn't be right.

I started looking at it in Word, to get a formatted copy for my own purposes, but it would probably take several weeks to do and I haven't the time.

If there is a scanned PDF around, I haven't seen it, unfortunately.

Other Suns is pretty good on background and equipment, but some of the rules are very difficult to follow. Character generation requires a calculator and is far too picky for my tastes.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

There is a woefully formatted text copy on the web, but the author specifically asked people not to reformat it, so posting a PDF copy wouldn't be right

The only text version I ever found was actually an incomplete draft of 2nd edition Other Suns, and IIRC Niall Shapero wasn't best pleased that even that version was online. I doubt he'd be happy about any PDF scan of the first edition being distributed either...

When he was posting to the RQ rule list a few years ago he sold a "galley proof" of the 2nd Edition - I did urge him then to look in to Lulu or similar means of distributing it as it's a shame its not more widely accessible. If anyone here is in reliable contact with him it might be worth raising with him again.

Cheers,

Nick

The only text version I ever found was actually an incomplete draft of 2nd edition Other Suns, and IIRC Niall Shapero wasn't best pleased that even that version was online. I doubt he'd be happy about any PDF scan of the first edition being distributed either...

When he was posting to the RQ rule list a few years ago he sold a "galley proof" of the 2nd Edition - I did urge him then to look in to Lulu or similar means of distributing it as it's a shame its not more widely accessible. If anyone here is in reliable contact with him it might be worth raising with him again.

Cheers,

Nick

After I posted my initial comments, I did some research into FGU and found they have a bad reputation for being really anal about their products--and simply not taking fan requests and such to heart. I was at their website, but I don't remember seeing any 'contact us' links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGU

Edited by Dredj

After I posted my initial comments, I did some research into FGU and found they have a bad reputation for being really anal about their products--and simply not taking fan requests and such to heart. I was at their website, but I don't remember seeing any 'contact us' links.

Fantasy Games Unlimited - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wasn't talking about FGU (who are indeed a deeply dubious operation, especially these days) - the copyright of Other Suns has always resided with its author, Niall Shapero, as he had the sense to cut a more sensible deal with FGU to publish OS after Chaosium decided not to.

He was talking back in '04 or '05 on the RQ Rules list as was about may be doing something again with OS, but as far as I'm aware nothing has come of it as yet, but now strikes me as an opportune moment for BRP related games, so I rather hope he'll look at it again.

Cheers,

Nick

I see this as an operatunity for several old Game to be revived into basic roleplaying system.

Just a few games out thier that would rock in the BRP system

Justifiers

Star Fronters

AFTERMATH

Other suns

Villians and Vigilaties

Space opera

Traveller

a revised and expanded superworld

Gamma World

Boothill

Adventures in Fantasy

Top Secret

Man, Myth and magic

THieves World

Conan

second age of Atlantis

just to name a few!

Guest Vile Traveller

I did like the original Top Secret, but the second edition with it's made-up comic book organisations was rubbish, IMO. I assume it was some kind of effort to make the game non-political, which seems to be nonsensical given the basic premise of a spy game.

But, yes, I'd like to see something like Top Sectret, especially in the BRP system.

I see this as an operatunity for several old Game to be revived into basic roleplaying system.

Justifiers

Star Fronters

AFTERMATH

Other suns

Villians and Vigilaties

Space opera

Traveller

Gamma World

Boothill

Adventures in Fantasy

Top Secret

Man, Myth and magic

THieves World

Conan

second age of Atlantis

just to name a few!

Dude, you like some very esoteric stuff there :thumb:

Justifiers is an outstanding and fun game that seemed to just be stillborn. I would love to see it as a BRP supplement. It would fit very well into a noir SciFi campaign like Cthulhu Rising, Aliens or Mutant Chronicles.

Villains and Vigilantes and Top Secret/SI were both good games that really deserve a second shot. Top Secret could be modd'ed off of Pagan Publishings excellent Delta Green Series (minus the 'thulies)!

Thieves World...wow, old school.

As for Conan, I think there are 50 versions of Conan running around in D20 and BRP systems, and IIRC there is one on this site in the downloads section.

-STS

Isn't Green Ronin's generic Thieves' World setting still available?

Yes, albeit heavily discounted at present, as they have to dispose of all stock in the current form soon, as it carries the d20 logo. Whether they will re-issue it as OGL (or system-less, or True20) only I don't know.

I guess sladethesniper is assuming christopherhouse was referring to the Chaosium version of Thieves' World from the early 80's.

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

that right i just picked up the old version of THieves world and it had several game system in it one was runequest, but it need to be brought up to date!

I one day see BRP as the real standerd Role play system its just to easy to use.

THere are some really good world out thier with some poor or weak game systems that well need a good home now that d20logo is like fading!

I mean talking about let shoot our selves in the foot type of moves. but hay no one said that the guys at hasbro where actually fuctioning with all card in the ceck!

<I have an ideal, let Alienate half of our customer base and make a well know system even less relevent to its customers!>

Justifiers

Star Fronters

AFTERMATH

Other suns

Villians and Vigilaties

Space opera

Traveller

Gamma World

Boothill

Adventures in Fantasy

Top Secret

Man, Myth and magic

THieves World

Conan

second age of Atlantis

just to name a few!

To this list of obscure items, I'd like to add Skyrealms of Jorune.

To this list of obscure items, I'd like to add Skyrealms of Jorune.

It's a lovely dream, and some of us (Vagabond and or myself not least) may yet release fan conversions - but sadly I think any "official" BRP version is doomed to remain a dream I'm afraid.

I'm just glad, given what's happened to Morrigan Press recently, that they never got involved with Jorune...

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 months later...

what happen to morgan press ?

I like second age of Atlantis?

did they die , or did they get smushed or loss it like so many did when distributers repped though small press games >?>:->

I thought Morrigan's take on the old Bard Games material was fair, I prefer the original and second edition Arcanum and The Bestiary, but Scott Agnew and crew did a decent job, I was thinking of converting some of the Callings to BRP as there were quite a few in the core book.

All in all it is sad to see this line collapse as well as another rpg company.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

It's a lovely dream, and some of us (Vagabond and or myself not least) may yet release fan conversions - but sadly I think any "official" BRP version is doomed to remain a dream I'm afraid.

I'm just glad, given what's happened to Morrigan Press recently, that they never got involved with Jorune...

Cheers,

Nick

What happened to Morrigan Press?

What happened to Morrigan Press?

The all to common fate of small, over enthusiastic RPG publishers - wider economic circumstances changed in ways there fledgling business couldn't cope with. Specifically, Morrigan, like a number of small RPG companies was hit quite hard by shifts in exchange rates IIRC. That lead to some difficulties honouring commitments to freelance contributors and customers and some unfortunate delays in communication. Some of these have now been addressed I believe, but as far as I can tell Morrigan itself is on hiatus whilst Scott Agnew tries to make the numbers add up again.

Morrigan did some good work when everything was working - I know several people who speak very highly of the Omni system games they did for example. They may yet bounce back again, and Omni isn't dead yet.

For more information I'd suggest looking at the Yahoo Talislanta group(s).

Cheers,

Nick