Other Suns download

Dredj

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost started this one the other day. Then I realised I've 27 years of Caleon to translate, and stopped myself.

I have most of Star Frontiers converted from when I was on the BRP playtest. I converted the rule book and SF0 Crash on Volturnous.

It was great fun.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 8 months later...

Justifiers is a % system. The stats are % as well IIRC (my stuff is 8000 miles away, so I may be mistaken...) Even if they are, some simple math is all that is required. The background may need tweaking (easily done...just remove the "blind beaming" part and rename the Corporation to something that fits).

The character creation may need some tweaking (with regard to # of skills and starting %) so you could either go with an "as is" or use BRP core rules instead.

Weapons and such, I can't remember, but I would just slide in BRP standard weapons (sci-fi versions, etc.) and voila, BRP Justifiers...

-STS

Is it just me. The cover just put me off. Those cat people just look to 'cute'? I prefer my sci-fi a little grimmer.

Can some one provide a good reason to ignore my irrantinal thoughts and try this game out?

Unless I'm very mistaken, it's pretty much the only real space opera game BRP has. And who says you have to play as a furry?

And if it continues to be an issue, try EFT: EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) :lol:

Unless I'm very mistaken, it's pretty much the only real space opera game BRP has. And who says you have to play as a furry?

And if it continues to be an issue, try EFT: EFT Home - World Center for EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) :lol:

Fair point. I've got Ringworld which although not'space opera' has a little bit of background to run a game in Known Space.

I'll compare and contrast the two.

Cheers.

PS RW has its share of furries too.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Is it just me. The cover just put me off. Those cat people just look to 'cute'? I prefer my sci-fi a little grimmer.

Earth is a smoking cinder remembered only by historians and bitter human terrorist who conveniently forget that Humanity were the aggressors in the war that lead to earth's destruction AND triggered the Collapse and the Dark Times from which the L'Doran Hegemony only emerged some four centuries ago.

Humans in the setting are the descendants of Gulag colonists - political dissidents, scientists and intellectuals who defied the Terran Imperial Government in some fashion and who as a consequence were shipped to serve as slave labour on the off world colonies. Humanity are a minor race, not even having representation on the Hegemony ruling council...

Can some one provide a good reason to ignore my irrational thoughts and try this game out?

C J Cherryh's Chanur shows that just because aliens are like Earth species doesn't mean they have to be "furry" - I ran Other Suns for years quite happily and with quite a dark tone. Plus, unlike Ringworld, OS is a full bore space opera setting and the rules (for all their quirks) reflect that (full rules for planetary creation, starships etc etc).

I like OS a LOT - but it can go for silly money on eBay (certainly in the UK anyway)...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

Just as an heads-up, I have sent Trifletraxor the Other Suns pdfs. They include Characters and Skills, Starships and Worldbuilding, Refence Screen, and the Alderson Yards suppliment.

Enjoy everyone.

Well, yes about that... As they're scans of old books an not just derivate work I think it would be best if those interested just sent you their email-adresses and you ship it privately. A bit too much of a copyright issue to distribute them through the site. :ohwell:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Well, yes about that... As they're scans of old books an not just derivate work I think it would be best if those interested just sent you their email-adresses and you ship it privately. A bit too much of a copyright issue to distribute them through the site. :ohwell:

SGL.

Especially as IIRC there are people on this site who know Niall Shapero (the author and copy right owner) and he has been active in other BRP related fan forums (e.g. on the RQ Rules mailing list a few years back).

It's a shame there isn't a legal PDF copy available via DTRPG - I have no idea if Niall Shapero has any interest in doing that or if he's or tried to sort that out, and I guess there'd be issues as the interior art work is all copyright (in the original edition ) to either Fa Shimbo or Ken Sample. But I'm sure there'd be interest...

Cheers,

Nick

It's a shame there isn't a legal PDF copy available via DTRPG - I have no idea if Niall Shapero has any interest in doing that or if he's or tried to sort that out, and I guess there'd be issues as the interior art work is all copyright (in the original edition ) to either Fa Shimbo or Ken Sample. But I'm sure there'd be interest...

To the best of my knowledge, Nicolai (Niall) and his wife Kay have pretty much slid out of at least the pencil and paper RPG hobby a long time ago, so I doubt he's thought of it much in a long time.

Especially as IIRC there are people on this site who know Niall Shapero (the author and copy right owner) and he has been active in other BRP related fan forums (e.g. on the RQ Rules mailing list a few years back).

Cheers,

Nick

Perhaps one of those people who know Niall Shapiro could put a word in his ear. I would think that there would be lots of volunteer labor that could replace the copyrighted images and offer the thing up on DTRPG or elsewhere. While it wouldn't make him rich, it could make a little money and make lots of people very happy.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Furries in space!>:-> Other Suns I wonder who the author was trying to appeal to with this game, adults or children? The setting looks mature, but the "Bambi with a blaster" illustrations and Disneyfied animals as aliens ruins it.:ohwell:

Maybe the game was designed to appeal to the type of Runequester that isn't embarassed playing a duck?:eek:

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Furries in space!>:-> Other Suns I wonder who the author was trying to appeal to with this game, adults or children? The setting looks mature, but the "Bambi with a blaster" illustrations and Disneyfied animals as aliens ruins it.:ohwell:

Maybe the game was designed to appeal to the type of Runequester that isn't embarassed playing a duck?:eek:

Maybe you can find out by asking him at the next furry convention.:lol:

Maybe you can find out by asking him at the next furry convention.:lol:

I didn't know that Other Suns was so popular that it had its own convention.;)

I'll stick with Cthulhu Rising. Tentacles are better than fur, any day of the week!>:->

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I didn't know that Other Suns was so popular that it had its own convention.;)

I'll stick with Cthulhu Rising. Tentacles are better than fur, any day of the week!>:->

Yeah, I agree. Fur does get in the way of things. And tentacles do have their special kind of fun.:D

somewhere on line there is an adaptation or just a doc(?) version of other suns, if it is in the open, what kinda of issue would there be with copyright?

Just because someone posted a copy of copyrighted material to the web doesn't remove the copyright. The copyright holder can enforce his copyright at any time.