Other Suns download

Dredj

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda laid low first time this thread came up, but I wonder whether we shouldn't be doing this kind of thing on this board. It didn't sit quite right with me the first time either.

One could argue ethicacy of these sorts of out of print file torrents as much as one wants, I think it boils down to us having active and past authors on these boards. Being an unauthorized scans swap house probably isn't the best way to provide a friendly atmosphere for them.

We've also got a mind blowing amount of great material in our downloads section. I think that part of the reason is because as RQ or BRP fans we love to tinker and push the system. Some of us also remember many lonely nights in the wilderness when it seemed the game was only kept alive via fanzines, email lists, and stuff like that. I think that definitely keys into how much fantastic material people have published on this site. It'd be nice to keep it that way by showing respect for authors by respecting their material. Nick, who tends to have a bit of an encyclopedic memory when it comes to this stuff, has already pointed out that the only authorized file about is the text one linked upthread.

Edit: I wanted to add that I'm not calling you out on anything here johnny, nor even the thread itself. I'm broaching the subject because it was a concern to me when the thread came up the first time, and then again. To you johnny, I say welcome to the boards and I hope you stick around. There are some great people posting here and some great ideas flying around.

Edited by Chaot

70/420

• 7 years later...

Hey guys. I don’t want to be a goody two shoes but it’s likely that the above scribd link is pirated material. I am definitely interested in the subject matter but perhaps it sends the wrong message? Not picking on you Chris- just my thoughts...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Does anybody know how to reach the author?

If he doesn't want to put in any further effort himself, maybe he'd be willing to sell outright?

As noted, (c) for the artwork is apparently with the original artists, so that'd take separate buys, or replacing the art with other pieces (OTOH, the "disneyfied" look apparently puts off quite a few folks, so maybe new art would be a Good Thing).

But it's another approach one might try...

C'es ne pas un .sig

I was in contact with Niall Shepeira a few month ago. 
He is preparing a 2nd edition of "Other Suns", but this main interest seems now to writing SciFi fiction. 
His main concern seems to be illustrations and payment for them. 
I suggested that it might be better to publish "Other Suns" as a supplement for Mythras, OpenQuest, Revolution D100 or even the upcoming new RQ/BRP line of Chaosium. 
He had never heared of them, but wanted to look them up. 
That is all i know on the status of this game. 

I know that he has made the text for Other Suns available but has asked people not to reformat it.

Other Suns was pretty good, close enough to be like RQ/BRP but far away to be really annoying. In the end, we ignored the differences and pretty much played it as RQ/BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Oh geeze. Other Suns was a BRP influenced thing? Color me surprised. I just knew it as The Furry RPG in the early days of the Fandom, (when it was an offshoot of Sci Fi, TBH, before my time) But its influence is felt today among the serious side of furry.

Old fogeys regularly still hold Other Suns games at cons and stuff, its kind of really famous among said folks. It was if I remember right, also the preferred system to adapt Albedo/Erma Felna: EDF to among the real frickin old folks in the fandom who still remember that furrydom grew out of...Hard Military Sci Fi drama. (Cos, TBH, as much as I know designers who talk up the Albedo game system, I don't know anyone who played more than a few games of it.)

However! Be ready for some terrifying links that may be interesting if you're hunting Other Suns down.
http://www.space-opera.net/GB/goodies/othersuns.htm

^Hosts an to an unpublished Expansion by Neil Shapero: Iceworld, as well as some other rules and races and bits and bobs.

http://ermine.macrophile.com/html/other_suns.html

^Please oh lord Forgive me for linking a Web 1.0 furry site. There's a link that says its to NSFW stuff (and its clearly marked) but its not actually got any stuff hosted. Its just empty. Either way, it was a Other Suns page, it has some defunct links to Furnation which is long dead, but you should be able to scan over it with the Wayback machine. I don't know whats there. This used to hold a BBS based (what I assume) was a play by post campaign for it, but that link is long dead.

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Role-Playing/Future/Other Suns/

^Already linked, but some explanation. According to old fansites, these are the notes for Other Suns 2, rather than a direct Other Suns posting. I don't know if thats true.

Finally, if you're just looking for similar...furries in space? Or just furry RPGs, look at everything by Sanguine Games, which I believe has a couple different flavors of anthros in space? There's also  the original Albedo RPG. (Which is just weird. Squad based hard mil Sci Fi RPG about morality and human drama...Uh. Focused on interpersonal relations, with nothing but animal people. Its at least worth looking at. I love my copy and I'm sure I'll never get anyone to try and play a session of it)

Edited by Madrona
Clarification. Also Added something