7th Edition Errata and Revisions

shosuro91

On 3/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, trystero said:

Or correct the text to "Creation of a Gate requires the permanent expenditure of POW in a sacrifice equal to the log to base 10 of the distance the Gate connects in miles, minus one (to a minimum of one), multiplied by five." This keeps the table intact.

Either way, something needs fixing!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I'm back to ask about Pulp Cthulhu's NPC Scarlet Arachnis (p. 126). I repared that there are no value for Art/Craft (Sing) skill ... wich it should be?

Another curiosity is about the spell Siren's Song and the relaction Pulp vs Grand Grimoire. The Pulp's version have less MP cost and more duration. It's logically right for me (because of the theme), but, is it right in fact?

Thx.

Edited by Ewerton
Puting more questions in one post.

4 hours ago, Ewerton said:

Hello,

I'm back to ask about Pulp Cthulhu's NPC Scarlet Arachnis (p. 126). I repared that there are no value for Art/Craft (Sing) skill ... wich it should be?

Another curiosity is about the spell Siren's Song and the relaction Pulp vs Grand Grimoire. The Pulp's version have less MP cost and more duration. It's logically right for me (because of the theme), but, is it right in fact?

Thx.

Siren's Song in Pulp Cthulhu is a variant of the spell, specifically the version used by the villainous Scarlet Arachnid.

Scarlet Arachnid's Art/Craft (Sing) is 70%.

• Like 1

Sorry, again I'm here.

At NPC Russo's skills (page 155) have twice "Psychology". One 30%, and other 36%. Wich is the correct?

Is one "Psychology" another skill (like Psychoanalysis) that suffered a typo?

Thx.

Note: The Mr. Sleep's human form correct HP is 15 instead of 13 (80+75= 155; 155/10=15,5; so 15).

Edited by Ewerton

• 1 year later...

p.401 Keeper Rulebook, Bow and Arrows is missing the (i) for impale. 

p.250 Investigator Handbook, Bow and Arrows is missing the (i) for impale.

p.256 Pulp Cthulhu, Bow and Arrows is missing the (i) for impale.

p.43 Down Darker Trails, Bow and Arrows* (does impale).

Edited by morganhua
Looked up entries in other core books.

p.43 Down Darker Trails, Axe (does not impale) which is not consistent with p.402 Keeper Rulebook which has Wood Axe (i), I would think Axe should impale and the entry should be Axe*. Also Tomahawk* impales, so I'd think an Axe would too.

p.257 Pulp Cthulhu, Wood Axe does not impale. Hmmm.

Edited by morganhua
looked up entry in Pulp Cthulhu.
  • Like 1

I'll add those I've noticed, then, at least those I remember... would have kept better track of minor typos and grammatical mistakes as well if I knew Chaosium was so responsive! Next time.

Keeper Rulebook

Errata

• p148, the Chase rules example mentions that a bonus and penalty die might be given to the Speed Rolls, but I can find no mention of this in the actual rules. It most likely refers to a rule that was later cut, or perhaps it's simply referring to how bonus and penalty dice can be used generally to modify situations. In any event, it's unclear.
  • p383, Abner Wick, Fighting (Brawl) has "Butcher's Knife, damage 1D6 +..." - none of the knives on p401 do 1D6+DB damage; is this an intended discrepancy?
  • p383, Hector and Carla Fademan, Fighting (Brawl) has "Hunting Knife, damage 1D6 +..." - none of the knives on p401 do 1D6+DB damage; is this an intended discrepancy?
  • p398, Firearm Ammunition is missing entires for .41 rimfire, 9mm, .455, .30-30, .303, .58, 7.65mm, .30 Carbine, 2-bore shot for Elephant Gun, and Shotgun slugs of all kinds (unless these are meant to be interchangeable with the shells?) - note these are all calibers mentioned as available in the 1920s, per the firearm descriptions starting on p179 of the Investigator Handbook, which also mentions 7.62 mm and 7.92mm, neither of which are listed in the price guides.
  • p398, Bayonet doesn't have an obviously corresponding weapon entry on p401 - it's definitely not a cavalry lance (i.e. Spear entry), but might arguably use the Fighting (Spear) skill. Would be nice to have either a dedicated entry for the Bayonet on p401 or, if it's "knife-like", indicate that and its size in its entry on p398.
  • p400, Firearm Ammunition is missing entries as above (with some exceptions), plus .444 Marlin

Layout

• p334, Werewolf entry header should be at top of p335 instead.

Suggestions

• p396-399, knives on the equipment list, such as the Hunting Knife, Dagger, etc. would benefit from having a blade length (e.g. S/M/L) to help us use the correct damage entry on the weapons tables.
  • p402-404, the firearms charts would benefit from indicating which type(s) of ammunition can be used; this information is noted in the Investigator's Handbook under individual firearm entries, but is not in the Keeper Rulebook at all. Of course, most can be extrapolated or easily searched online, but still would be nice to have for ease of reference.
  • p145 and p416, Vehicle Reference Charts: at least one or two types of Steamboat would have been very nice to have listed here.

Investigator Handbook

This has all of the same issues for weapons and ammunition as in the Keeper Rulebook.

• Like 1

On page 401 of the core rules there are 3 melee club like weapons, I get that the the large baseball bat or cricket bat does 1d8+db and the medium sized nightstick does 1d6+db but is it an error that the relatively small blackjack does 1d8+db ? The same as a baseball bat? 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:54 PM, g33k said:

Thanks!

Does it address the continent, at all?  Napoleon, etc?
Or only in the various "soldiers [home from the war / about to go abroad / etc]" tropes (common enough in Regency literature!) ?

A blackjack is unlike a wooden "club" as it is usually made of metal or filled with lead and thus, you are going to feel that when you get cracked on the head. 

It could have been 1D6+2, but 1D8 is simpler and deals min 1 rather than min 3 damage. 

Weapon damages are abstract to a degree, there are so many variations in the real world that you have to keep things simple for obvious reasons. You are not breaking the rules if the specific blackjack in your scenario deals 1D6 rather than 1D8 damage, or your knife deals 1D4+3. Such minor variation is essentially meaningless. 

6 hours ago, Mike M said:

A blackjack is unlike a wooden "club" as it is usually made of metal or filled with lead and thus, you are going to feel that when you get cracked on the head. 

It could have been 1D6+2, but 1D8 is simpler and deals min 1 rather than min 3 damage. 

Weapon damages are abstract to a degree, there are so many variations in the real world that you have to keep things simple for obvious reasons. You are not breaking the rules if the specific blackjack in your scenario deals 1D6 rather than 1D8 damage, or your knife deals 1D4+3. Such minor variation is essentially meaningless. 

Tagging @werecorpse, whose answer this is.
Something odd in the BRPC db or an oops by @Mike M misquoted my Q from another thread into this one.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 10/25/2022 at 4:55 PM, Mike M said:

Thanks for the reply, it’s great to get an understanding of where the rules authors are coming from. Still seems op to me for such a small weapon, though I get if it cracked you on the head it’s a potent weapon but then so is half a brick & so is a switchblade stabbing you in the throat-  I get your point about abstract nature of weapon damage. 
I’m gonna reduce it to 1d4+2 in my games slightly, better than a wooden club but not the heft of a cricket or baseball bat or a full metal bar like a poker. 

• 2 weeks later...

Per questions above:

p148, the Chase rules example mentions that a bonus and penalty die might be given to the Speed Rolls, but I can find no mention of this in the actual rules. It most likely refers to a rule that was later cut, or perhaps it's simply referring to how bonus and penalty dice can be used generally to modify situations. In any event, it's unclear.

-       This is referring to p139 – Random Barriers & Hazards – Quote: 

If the environment is especially hazardous, such as driving through rush hour traffic in a bustling city or along country lanes at midnight, add a penalty die to the roll for random hazards and barriers.

-       In the example, they have to climb out of a window, which might impose a penalty, but in this case, it is disregarded.

p383, Abner Wick, Fighting (Brawl) has "Butcher's Knife, damage 1D6 +..." - none of the knives on p401 do 1D6+DB damage; is this an intended discrepancy?

And

p383, Hector and Carla Fademan, Fighting (Brawl) has "Hunting Knife, damage 1D6 +..." - none of the knives on p401 do 1D6+DB damage; is this an intended discrepancy?

-    The knife in question is something between a large and medium knife, so 1D6 is used. It is repeated for Hector & Carla to keep things simple for the Keeper.  Ideally, in a future version of the weapon tables, we may add a "medium-large" knife at 1D6+DB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1