Red Moon

Tigerwomble

What is the physical nature of the Red Moon. It is described as both something akin to human
or human like (or at least that's the impression I get) and then she ascends and is a moon.
Also she was torn asunder and scattered. Did she reform or are there scattered remnants?

The short version is that the Red Goddess lives on Glorantha for a while then dances her self into the sky, lifting a huge part of the Earth into the sky and leaving behind the crater. She’s now both the transcendent Earth as moon and as she once was. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

24 minutes ago, David Scott said:

The short version is that the Red Goddess lives on Glorantha for a while then dances her self into the sky, lifting a huge part of the Earth into the sky and leaving behind the crater. She’s now both the transcendent Earth as moon and as she once was. 

So she resides on the moon?

I do not know if it is clear if ALL the parts of the previous goddess were included in remaking the Red Moon or if only some of it was. Or if parts from several moon gods were used in the process. So I guess there could be parts laying around somewhere? Im personally not sure how the Blue Moon relates, if at all, to the whole affair. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

17 minutes ago, Sean_RDP said:

I do not know if it is clear if ALL the parts of the previous goddess were included in remaking the Red Moon or if only some of it was. Or if parts from several moon gods were used in the process. So I guess there could be parts laying around somewhere? Im personally not sure how the Blue Moon relates, if at all, to the whole affair. 

I quite like the idea of adventurers having to deal with a 'bit' of the Red Goddess.

Maybe they could sell it to someone who does a nice line in Relics.

In the RW, of course, vials of the Virgin Mary's breast milk were touted around, so the mind boggles.

4 minutes ago, Tigerwomble said:

I quite like the idea of adventurers having to deal with a 'bit' of the Red Goddess.

Maybe they could sell it to someone who does a nice line in Relics.

In the RW, of course, vials of the Virgin Mary's breast milk were touted around, so the mind boggles.

Right. I think that could be dicey in an interesting way. Someone selling "relics" of the Red Goddess might likely find themselves under the ire of friend and foe alike. 

Though I suspect most people think of it in these terms.

• Like 2

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Tigerwomble said:

vials of the Virgin Mary's breast milk were touted around, so the mind boggles.

My favorite was the anecdote of the monk who was offered the holy skull of John the Baptist.  When he said he'd already seen the skull of John the Baptist back in Europe, the seller assured him that was JtB as an adult, this was one of when he was a child.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, styopa said:

My favorite was the anecdote of the monk who was offered the holy skull of John the Baptist.  When he said he'd already seen the skull of John the Baptist back in Europe, the seller assured him that was JtB as an adult, this was one of when he was a child.

That's quality.

8 hours ago, Tigerwomble said:

Yes, there are moon rocks.  They are needed to summon lunes.

Remember too that there are living avatars of the Red Goddess (the Inspirations of Moon Son).  The current one is Jar-eel, who is both living hero and immortal goddess. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2018 at 4:19 AM, Tigerwomble said:

What is the physical nature of the Red Moon. It is described as both something akin to human
or human like (or at least that's the impression I get) and then she ascends and is a moon.
Also she was torn asunder and scattered. Did she reform or are there scattered remnants?

There was no moon-goddess for a while, there.  Died at the hands of Chaos, and maybe before that when Primal Air was stirring up all that trouble, and maybe died some other times too.  But, you know... cycles are a Lunar thing.  So she came back.

The current Red Goddess was reassembled from fragments of prior beings in a mighty heroquest by some proto-Lunar priestesses, sorceresses, etc.  Sedenya was mortal -- sort of -- for a while, but has ascended to being Divine... and she's STILL ascending!  The Red Moon is still hanging in the air, and isn't part of the "sky".  Winged creatures can fly to and from it (unlike the sun and the stars in the Sky) -- hence the Air rune as a fundamental of Gloranthan reality is a wholly-different thing from the Sky rune, also a fundamental.

There's all sorts of interesting Gloranthan physics & metaphysics around the Red Moon Goddess having an actual presence in the world this way...  It's story-hooks young man, all the way down!

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/1/2018 at 9:01 AM, jajagappa said:

Yes, there are moon rocks.  They are needed to summon lunes.

From my Top Seven Drugs of Glorantha (1993):

Lunar Tea

Found: The Lunar Empire

Moon Rock has many magical and medicinal properties, and despite its rarity on the earth below, is used for a variety of arcane and therapeutic purposes by the Red Emperor and his high nobles. The lower orders too can share in this somewhat, with the consumption of Lunar Tea. Lunar Tea is normal tea, imported from Porthomeka in the Holy Country or grown domestically in Holay, Aggar and Tarsh, mixed with a fine grey grit the sellers claim is crushed moon rock. Various medicinal properties are claimed for drinking Lunar Tea, but it is mainly drunk as a mild relaxant.

Most Lunar Tea is, of course, a crock - the grey powder is usually just crushed local stone with no therapeutic value whatsoever. Only in the richest Lunar households would a drinker be assured of getting the real thing.

Prices reflect the authenticity of the product - ranging from 15L a bushel to 175L. 

(and if I recall correctly, Princess Anderida in Strangers in Prax uses moon rock medicinally - hers would be the genuine article though)

• Like 3

On 5/31/2018 at 4:19 AM, Tigerwomble said:

The moon is a red moon that is orbited by I think an invisible body that casts shadow upon her. She has features on her surface that resembles a face. And astronomers can note forests and ravines and such on her.

If I remember right, when looked at with magic sight as a non Lunar, it radiates divine magic but its cloudy and wrong, which leads a lot of people to the "AH CHAOS KILL KILL!" sort of feelings on the matter.

When looked at by a lunar follower with magical sight, she shows as Sedenya's face itself, always half lit and always half obscured.

Physically the moon is a real place which has its own terrain, features and things about it. There's a map of it somewhere but I forget where. It has magical forests with its own species of elf, its own seas, palaces, thrones, cities. Its both heaven for some, hell for others, an otherworld and a real world. Its part of Sedenya's nature as being outside of the compromise so her things get mixed up.

Or something like that. I'm talking halfway out of my butt right now.

• Like 2