RQG goes on sale on June 1st

MOB

3 hours ago, Addison said:

My main question is, now that RQ is no longer focused on Prax and the Lunar occupation era, what will campaign play actually look like? 

I'm running RQG in Dragon Pass among the Colymar post-Dragonrise.  With King Kangharl dead and some of the tribal regalia lost/devoured, Queen Leika has set about gaining a new vision for the tribe and restoring the regalia.

56 minutes ago, Addison said:

What will the Chaosium default be? Indeed, will there be a Chaosium default?

Based on one of the final pages in RQG which details upcoming works, specifically the RQ Gamemaster's Pack, it notes "includes a sandbox setting in Dragon Pass, detailed locations including Clearwine Fort and Apple Lane,... and three loosely-linked scenarios appropriate for starting adventurers."  

• Like 1

• MOB pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Iskallor said:

What the Sartarites have gone?

Quite a lot of them, yeah. Exile is over now that the Lunars don't penalize their clans for worshiping the storm any more. And many of those White Bull fanatics have left, too.

On the other hand, now they have Jaldon.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Just downloaded mine and it looks so great I think I could be easily persuaded to play in Glorantha. Which is a first. The book oozes with flavor, the images are very nicely done.  Awesome job gents and I will definitely be adding the slipcase to my collection.  Now if only I could get the Horror on Orient Express boxed set to go with my CoC Slip Case which is also a thing of beauty. (reprint please as $500 on eBay is a bit much).  Chaosium is really turing out some 1st rate goodies IMHO.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, Joerg said:

Quite a lot of them, yeah. Exile is over now that the Lunars don't penalize their clans for worshiping the storm any more.

Many settlers are just that - settlers. This is now their home. Pavis County is protected by the King of Pavis. Most are unlikely to return home. There is a long tradition of Sartarite settlers in the region

And many of those White Bull fanatics have left, too.

The White Bull is a praxian inter-tribal society. There are few Sartarite followers. 

On the other hand, now they have Jaldon.

Jaldon’s primary focus is dragon pass and the Lunars, Argrath knows this well and this is the reason he broke his curse. Jaldon is no threat to the settlers. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Many settlers are just that - settlers. This is now their home. Pavis County is protected by the King of Pavis. Most are unlikely to return home. There is a long tradition of Sartarite settlers in the region

That's Pavis County, a cause lost since when the Praxians gambled away their participation in Dorasar's city. And anyway, protected or not, they will have to provide passage and support to Praxian clans passing through, like good Oasis Folk should.

But there were Sartarites in many of the Oases as well, teaching the Oasis slave population weird stuff about liberty and equal rights. It is better that they have left from there.

The White Bull is a praxian inter-tribal society. There are few Sartarite followers. 

Yes. But they may count as an annoyance, too, and as one that has gone largely away.

Jaldon’s primary focus is dragon pass and the Lunars, Argrath knows this well and this is the reason he broke his curse. Jaldon is no threat to the settlers. 

And Jaldon is the Paps Khan. Much reason for annoyance among the priestesses of Eiritha.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:14 PM, Sean_RDP said:

As I understand it, just the PDF goes on sale. Physical copies come out around Gen Con and if you get it through Chaosium, you get a coupon for money off the hardback.  Do I have that right?

Have just purchased my PDF copy direct from Chaosium and I can find nothing telling me I get a reduction on the hardback cost!  Oh well!

30 minutes ago, Joerg said:

But there were Sartarites in many of the Oases as well, teaching the Oasis slave population weird stuff about liberty and equal rights. It is better that they have left from there.

What’s the source for that, I’ve missed it.

The core info for Sartarite settlers starts on page 7 of Pavis GtA:

A later wave of Sartarites followed when the Lunar army conquered Sartar in 1602. However, both waves have lived long enough in the valley that their children know no other home.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

31 minutes ago, Joerg said:

And Jaldon is the Paps Khan. Much reason for annoyance among the priestesses of Eiritha.

Why would that annoy the Priestesses of Eiritha? It was one of them that appointed him Paps Khan the first and this second time.

-----

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

What’s the source for that, I’ve missed it.

Biturian's travelogue - the Humakti duel at Tourney altar and Pairing Stone have Sartarite encounters, and with a quite high likelihood the Chalana Arroyan who had accompanied Alain's party was from Sartar, too. Moonbroth had few if any free Orlanthi other than Biturian, and Day's Rest had storm bull worshipers who may or may not have included Sartarites (as the RQG sample characters show, you cannot tell from their steeds whether they are Praxian or Sartarite). The Paps and Sun County had none. We don't have any encounters for Cam's Well or other oases with Oasis Folk population.

52 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Biturian's travelogue - the Humakti duel at Tourney altar and Pairing Stone have Sartarite encounters,

Tourney Altar is only 55 miles from Sartar and is a Humakti holy place. It's one of the few place I would expect Humakti Sartarites to be. That doesn't make it a settlement. Nameless is specifically mentioned as coming from Dragon Pass, not Sartar. The Paring Stones are a major Orlanth temple that serves not only Praxian Orlanth and Vinga worshippers, but the whole of Pavis County. Who are the Sartarites here? Farangar Horseteeeth is from the Bullford clan and Krogar's description is less than specific:

He is said to come from any number of nations, including Sartar, the Holy Country, legendary Ralios, or even the Empire itself. He does not speak of his origins. 

There are often visiting Sartarites here flying in from Old Wind and remember, the Praxians don't allow any settlement at the Stones so it's unlikely there's an oasis folk population here.

52 minutes ago, Joerg said:

and with a quite high likelihood the Chalana Arroyan who had accompanied Alain's party was from Sartar, too. Moonbroth had few if any free Orlanthi other than Biturian, and Day's Rest had storm bull worshipers who may or may not have included Sartarites (as the RQG sample characters show, you cannot tell from their steeds whether they are Praxian or Sartarite). The Paps and Sun County had none. We don't have any encounters for Cam's Well or other oases with Oasis Folk population.

"High likelyhood" and "may have" isn't the same as there were actually Sartarites "teaching the Oasis slave population weird stuff about liberty and equal rights". It's interesting conjecture but not fact.

given that Pavis GtA says that

Newcomers to Pavis County must either join an existing clan or try to form their own. To join a clan, one must swear loyalty to the clan and its leaders as part of a formal adoption ceremony. The clan protects its members in exchange for loyalty and service. Forming one’s own clan means having enough strength to eke out an independent survival and defending against other predatory clans.

I feel that Orlanthi refugees are in Pavis and Pavis County with their old and new kin. 

-----

Naimless is a member of the Temple of the Wooden Sword at this time, located in Sartar, which makes her enough of a Sartarite in my book.

Only 55 miles inside the Wastes is far enough to avoid contact with vengeful feuding clansfolk from back in Sartar, which might mean a semi-permanent population of Sartarites here, and possibly at other oases, possibly providing some "civilized" craft as a service. And I doubt that all members of Alain's expedition would have been Humakti - the surviving Arroyan shows that other experts would be likely, as do the adventures of the Temple of the Wooden Sword. If the goal of RQG is to pick up where RQ2 petered out, there should be numerous such bands of exile hobos eking out a meager life in Prax.

Yes, there are Orlanthi settlers and refugees who have settled down to an ordinary Orlanthi life in Pavis County. We have the numbers. And technically, the folks who join resident clans aren't Sartarites any more, but a new type of uppity Oasis Folk in the river valley. Much like the Indagos.

There are probably as many (combined) city dwellers without clan membership in Pavis County and itinerant exiles, quite a few of them registered as adventurers under who knows what false identities, or just re-equipping/re-sacrificing in New Pavis or Badside, operating from Adari or Barbarian Town or even Corflu, working as caravan guards when refraining from banditry. Others may live as guests of the Pol Joni, much like Olgkarth and his band of Pavis Survivors did when Dorasar contacted him.

All the oases have shrines that may be of interest to Sartarite exiles hiding out in Prax, e.g. Adari or Barbarian Town, for the purpose of spell recovery or spirit magic acquisition.

It is not like there are Theyalan missionaries inciting the Oasis Folk to step up and defend themselves against those Praxian take-overs, although the "Seven Samurai/Glorious Seven" trope could be played at any of the Praxian oases against some particularly awful occupation (e.g. by Lunar Sable phratries tolerating Chaos allies like Imperial ogres).

But the very existence of a farmer-warrior who works his own little plot in an oasis but who is ready to defend his harvest might be a bad example that might re-awaken Tada-shi pride. Likewise nosy Lhankor Mhy folk researching how they can use ancient Praxian magic to bargain their way back into their Sartarite clans. Even more so if this happens during the Windstop.

But, come to think of this, rose-tinted glass wearing Seven Mother missionaries are as likely to bring this to pass, and create a problem with uppity oasis folk for innocent Praxian clans taking over an oasis.

There is too little in print about interactions with Praxian clans and Oasis Folk at an occupied oasis. Pilgrims from other clans or tribes do have a legitimate cause to access the oasis shrine, but will have to negotiate or even bully their way through the current lords of the oasis. Oasis folk will have holy folk and possibly a few slightly trickster-like wretches taking stuff from pilgrims or even occupators. They might also have some hidden avengers among their numbers, striking unexpectedly and anonymously at the worst perpretators with copper axes.

Edited by Joerg

13 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Naimless (in THE TRAVELS OF BITURIAN VAROSH) = Nameless (Sartar:Kingdom of Heroes) ?

Having two different Humakti pulling the same Odysseus stunt ("my name is nobody", vs. Polyphemos) in the same region would be against Occam's Razor. I think it was in one of the APA-zines where Greg chronicled his Sartar campaign that he commented on his amusement about this. The variant spelling was intentional by the player, I suppose, but in the HQ publication maybe it was just that autocorrect interfered, or an editorial decision to use only "serious" spellings.

My real world problem with Naimless and Nameless is that I worked with a guy called Naim. He pronounced it so it rhymed with US small change Dime so would in this case Nimeless and Nameless, which in my head are very different. Normal service is now restored..

• Like 1

-----

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

but a new type of uppity Oasis Folk in the river valley

Why do you persist in calling the Sartarite settlers in the Zola Fel valley oasis folk. They are completely unrelated. 

-----

19 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Why do you persist in calling the Sartarite settlers in the Zola Fel valley oasis folk. They are completely unrelated. 

Because they are agriculturalists in Prax, and without Argrath or a sufficiently powerful lieutenant of his present in Pavis, these clans will be reduced to Vendref status sooner rather than later. From the perspective of Praxian nomads, they become a grounder group of farmers which can be forced to give you tribute whenever you stop over here (and no other nomad group pushes you out).

Fertility-wise, the Zola Fel valley acts just like an oasis. Plants which won't grow anywhere else in the Wastes will bear fruit here, whether Teshnan rice or Dragon Pass barley and wheat. The magical influence of the River blocked Eiritha's draw on this area's fertility.

All of this means that the river fulfills all criteria for oasis fertility, it just is way bigger than any other oasis (except the Sacred Ground around the Paps, minus that one hex in the northwest).

The Sartarites are descended from the Vingkotlings, which means that they count Tada's twin daughters among their ancestors. Not completely unrelated. The Tada-shi are the remnants of the old Earth Worshippers, little different from the folk who built Ezel or Nochet. Remove Argrath's sheltering hand (e.g. after Yoran) for a year, and the clans will either have capitulated to the Nomads, or they will have been destroyed, possibly replaced by less belligerent replacements. Culling all the rebellion will take considerably longer, but how much focus will Argrath have on the city of Pavis once he is bound in Saird and Peloria? Which of his lieutenants will he send to provide his promise of safety, and what will it be worth as Chaos encroaches?

The Flood caused by the floating bit of Valind's Glacier cut off will temporarily push all Orlanthi out of the region. Where will the survivors who made it into Redwood go once the sea has receded?

The Indagos folk were inhabitants of Old Pavis/the Rubble, and are specifically non-Sartarite, non-Orlanthi (prior to taking over that stretch of the Scritha River). They seem to have been agriculturalists or at least horticulturalists anyway, or they wouldn't have been interested in farmland, so this makes an origin as former Pure Horse Folk unlikely. This leaves potential oasis folk which might have joined Pavis and Joraz Kyrem when they built their city.

From a nomad perspective, the Indagos and the Sartarite clans are almost indistinguishable. The Indagos might be better using local spirits than the Orlanthi who would invoke their foreign deities instead.

But again, both types are grounders, not riders. Discussing cultural differences between them beyond the military problem they pose is idle.

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Except you have the Windstop and Great Winter in between.

One more reason why these bands and oasis folk should have interacted with one another, whether taking these Sartarites on as protectors, or in a parasitic relationship like the Vadrudi in the Golden Age and the Gods War.

17 hours ago, Joerg said:

But again, both types are grounders, not riders. Discussing cultural differences between them beyond the military problem they pose is idle.

For me, the Lunar farmers in the River of Cradles, the farmers of Sun County and Sartarites of Pavis County are not Oasis Folk, they are just farmers in Prax.

To be one of the Oasis Folk, you need to be descended from Tada's People, you need to be tied to your Oasis, to depend on it to feed you, to drink its waters, take part in its rituals. You know that genert will take care of you, even though he is dead. You know that you don't need to bother with Nomad raids, Lunar tax collectors, Sartarite rebels or even chaos incursions, because everything will be taken care of, as it always has been. That's why people think you are lazy, you lounge about in the sun all day, waiting for the fruit to ripen, only picking it when necessary and storing it away for the rest of the year. Why work yourself to death growing oats or barley when your trees produce enough figs for you and your people to live off all year round? Anyway, who wants to eat oats and barley when you can eat figs all day?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here.