RQG goes on sale on June 1st

MOB

16 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

I suspect that the river people are a lot less likely to cave to Praxian tribes than Oasis People are.

Our Oasis has so much fruit that we can afford to share it. We help support the Nomads, as they are descended from our people, but have forgotten. So, they eat our fruit and take our women, so what, we have plenty of fruit and plenty of women. They'll soon go and someone else will come to share in our bounty.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Hippy trippy oasis folk retaining the pleasures of the early Golden Age honestly never crossed my mind, and I think they would be sorely out of place surrounded by an environment of post-apocalyptic devastation. I regard them as slaves shackled to a place rather than to a clan, although it wouldn't be out of character for occupying Praxian clans to take along a few grounder slaves when their herd departs, or when a stronger clan takes over.

Oats and barley are less suitable crops for the Oasis Folk unless grown in horticulturalist ways. While their ancestors might have known the plow, it is unavailable for the Oasis Folk since any draught beast would be taken away for slaughter by the occupying Praxians, and the unripe fields would be used as pasture.

I would look at the Easter Island (Rapa Nui) form of horticulture that was used after the deforestation of that island, with stone gardens preventing erosion (and easy access for herd beasts). https://www.thoughtco.com/culture-and-ecology-of-easter-island-170819:

By AD 1300, horticulture was being practiced on the island, evidenced by the remains of house gardens, horticultural fields, and chicken houses. Crops were tended or grown in a mixed-crop, dryland production systems, growing sweet potatoes, bottle gourds, sugar cane, taro, and bananas.

"Lithic mulch" was used to increase soil fertility; rock walls and stone circle planting pits helped protect the crops from wind and rain erosion as the deforestation cycle continued.

Rock gardens (called boulder gardens, veneer surfaces and lithic mulch in the literature) were used beginning in AD 1400, with the most intensive use at the time of the highest population, ca AD 1550-1650 (Ladefoged). These were plots of land which were built of basalt rocks: large ones measuring between 40-80 centimeters (16-32 inches) are stacked as windbreaks, others measuring only 5-0 cm (2-4 in) in diameter were deliberately mixed into the soil at depths of 30-50 cm (12-20 in). Rock gardens are used worldwide, to minimize fluctuations in ground temperature, reduce evaporation, prevent weed growth, protect soil from wind, and facilitate greater rainfall conservation.

On Easter Island, the rock gardens enhanced growing conditions for tuber crops like taro, yams and sweet potato.

All of this sounds very apropos for horticulturalists at the Praxian oases.

I might allow the Oasis folk a semi-domestic beast similar to the Polynesian rat, and possibly a small dog breed used for catching these for a protein lunch, unsuitable for the chaparral. Morokanth occupation would be quite devastating as the herd men are quite capable and willing to raid such gardens.

To begin with, the Sartarite settlers of Zola Fel valley who just lost Argrath's protection wouldn't fit this mold, but after being robbed of their cattle herds, plowing would have to be discontinued, and other methods of agriculture and horticulture would come to the fore.

How did Sun County manage to maintain plowing? Or did they only re-introduce plowing after Dorasar settled Pavis County and cattle (and horses) became freely available again?

I guess the failure of the Teshnan colony founded just before 1250 in what is now known as the Grantlands was from loss of their water buffalo herds to raiding Praxians. The survivors joined with the downtrodden Sun Dome farmers, who must have used stick farming or similar to maintain their barley seeds throughout the Solitude of Testing. Their templars might have managed to save at least some minimal breeding stock, but hardly enough to provide enough plow teams.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

19 minutes ago, jps said:

I'm unable to place my order due to "invalid data": do you take visa from abroad (France) ?

You would want to contact Chaosium directly for this; while they are "pretty good" about monitoring the forums, e-mail to "customerservice@chaosium.com" gets the info straight to the right person.

Which form gives you the "invalid data" error?

C'es ne pas un .sig

• MOB unpinned this topic