RQG Corrections Thread

MOB

(moved from other thread)

From trystero

p. 267, second column, lines 2 and 4: The Vigor spirit-magic spell's cost is listed as 2 points (fixed cost), but its description says, "Each point of this spell…" as though it were a Variable spell. (It's also listed as a 2-point spell in the Spirit Magic Spells table on p. 257.)

p. 349, second column, third paragraph: Is this sentence ("The gods are as bound…") meant to be a fourth entry in the preceding bulleted list? It looks as though it should be.

From hkokko

All of the maps are quite dark on the screen - place names are hard to fathom. Can we get them a bit lighter or get text more visible. Looking at the maps on 27" Mac screen...

Hi, this new edition is excellent and the layout and illustrations beautiful.

I thinks there's a mistake however on page 148 in the example of a damage to the head in excess of double a location hit point : I understand that the rule that no damage may be taken  to a location in excess of double the hit point location only apply to limbs. It's - I think  wrongly- applied to the head in the example (while the following paragraph confirm that head can take in excess of thrice in hit loc. 

the example read : Example: Harmast has 4 hit points in the head and a total of
10 hit points. He takes 10 points of damage in a single blow. His
armor protection (1 point) is subtracted, meaning he has suffered
9 points of damage in the head. He can only take 8 points total
to the head (double the hit points for his head hit location), so 1
point of the damage does not affect him. However, 8 points are
enough to knock him out. Harmast is now unconscious, with 2
total hit points remaining and will lose 1 hit points each melee
round until First Aid or healing magic is applied.

The bold part is wrong ; it should read "He takes all 9 points of damage to the head". 

once again, bravo and thanks for this beautiful book which, I hope, will breath new life into RuneQuest. 

Laurent

From Arthur Severanc

The book is awesome! I've been reading through character creation and really like how backgrounds are generated. However, I have found a few minor errors.

Pages 57-60 lack rules for determining the modifiers for melee weapon, missile weapon, natural weapon, and shield skills (or a cross-reference to where they are found). The rules for this are probably somewhere else. I just haven't found them yet.

Page 63 doesn't say whether a player gets to pick the character's occupation (though I assume the player does).

The family history section of the Adventurer Background Worksheet contains a line for the year 1617, but there are no rules for determining whether anything happened in 1617.

Hkokko is right, the maps are very, very difficult to read.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

• MOB featured this topic
45 minutes ago, MOB said:

From Arthur Severanc

Pages 57-60 lack rules for determining the modifiers for melee weapon, missile weapon, natural weapon, and shield skills (or a cross-reference to where they are found). The rules for this are probably somewhere else. I just haven't found them yet.

They use the Manipulation modifier pg 59.

As with the Guide to Glorantha, the resolution of the maps is too low, so they become quite pixellated as you zoom in to try and read text. I understand that it's a trade-off with file size, but really this is at the wrong end of the spectrum - one of the benefits of a PDF version is that you can zoom in like this. Please make the maps higher-res.

• Like 8

The rules for opposed tests, page 142, do not define how to determine "the better result" when both parties get thr same grade of success. In d100 systems there are a few different approaches used, namely - 

The distance below the skill value (involves subtraction on the fly) 

Some form of grades of success based on 10s below skill value (subtraction, plus what if both roll same grade, so issue not resolved eg WFRP 2nd)

"The Price is Right" higher natural roll within the skill range wins. 

As far as I could see which is in use was not stated at all in the opposed test section. 

Edited by Psychman27
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Psychman27 said:

The rules for opposed tests, page 142, do not define how to determine "the better result" when both parties get thr same grade of success. In d100 systems there are a few different approaches used, namely - 

The distance below the skill value (involves subtraction on the fly) 

Some form of grades of success based on 10s below skill value (subtraction, plus what if both roll same grade, so issue not resolved eg WFRP 2nd)

"The Price is Right" higher natural roll within the skill range wins. 

As far as I could see which is in use was not stated at all in the opposed test section. 

My understanding is that it is designed to create ties in this particular situation. I wouldn't consider it a correction per se. Maybe a clarification.

P437 wealth reads::

. Divide RQ2 Lunars (L) by half. . Divide RQ3 silver pennies by one-third.

This should read

. Divide RQ2 Lunars (L) in half (or "by two"). . Divide RQ3 silver pennies by three.

Dividing something by one third will triple it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flamidey said:

My understanding is that it is designed to create ties in this particular situation. I wouldn't consider it a correction per se. Maybe a clarification.

I don't think that works, because not only does it actually say when both succeed, the better success wins, before then comparing different grades, but look at the summary chart on the next page. That refers to ties as being when both have the same level of success, and have rolled the same number. 

I suspect that the intent is "price is right", but since the wording is "better success", not "higher value" the meaning is unclear. 

• Like 1

This thread is precisely why (I hope) it's a great idea to release the PDF early.

Let your mob of slavering fans flush the typos for the final version you send to the actual printer.

MOB is this going to be actual hardbound or perfect bound in the printed version?

• Like 1

Tribal editing is a great invention of the 21st Century, and indeed a great help for the modern publisher :)

19 minutes ago, styopa said:

MOB is this going to be actual hardbound or perfect bound in the printed version?

I did not see the "this" at first and started wondering why you felt the need to bind MOB in the first place. He isn't exactly slim, so it could turn out to be problematic...

• Haha 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

In 381 the nature of Sorcery consistently odd formatting?:

It is the most conceptually flexible approach to Run

eQuest magic
and later

a subject to be expanded upon in future Run

eQuest supplements

Missing s:

Through the expenditure of magic point—often
considerable amounts

should be

Through the expenditure of magic points—often
considerable amounts

p382 editorial comment: odd that you discuss Zzabur's Sigil, but don't illustrate it?  Particularly when there's forgettable "filler" art on both this and subsequent pages?  The whole Elemental Runes/Power Runes and their interrelationship could have been MUCH better illustrated by reference to the lovely art from the GtGV1 147-150?  In fact, I'd offer those 4 pages as a downloadable pdf, they're SO much more useful than the text description...

p383 Rule question: learning any technique lets the sorcerer cast its opposite (only) for 2x mp costs.  But as the techniques Command or Tap instead instead open ALL other techniques for 2x mp, it seems that for maximum flexibility any fledgling sorcerer would have serious incentive to learn command or tap very early.  Is this intended?

p385 clarification: "The caster must be able to physically or magically perceive—or otherwise know—the precise location of a target"  ... what does "or otherwise know" mean?  If a human sized target was hiding, say, in a closed barrel, a caster could still target them even though they're not visible?  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, styopa said:

The books in the slipcase set, including this one, will be available in Hardcover and Leatherette bindings.

(That means no softcover)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

20 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

The books in the slipcase set, including this one, will be available in Hardcover and Leatherette bindings.

(That means no softcover)

Just to get my imagination into the right direction: the Red Cow volumes for HeroQuest (The Coming Storm and The Eleven Lights) are Hardcover bindings and the Runequest Classic Edition reprint (from the Kickstarter) with red cover and golden imprint is a Leatherette binding?

And the slipcase set will be available in both binding forms?

Barbarian Town vs. Exile Stead

In all new maps as well as in the section about the Prax Region the Pol-Joni town at the eastern side of the Stormwalk Mts. is called Barbarian town.

But in the map depicting Vasana's journey on page 19 it is called Exile Stead.

Long-time Glorantha fans will know, that both names are used for the same town, but people new to Glorantha may not get this. It's nowhere explained, and in fact in the map on page 19 Exile Stead is even located at a different place than Barbarian Town on the new maps (In fact according to all other existing maps, especially in the Argan Argar Atlas and in the Guide, the location of Barbarian Town at Sounder's River in the new maps is wrong).

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jongjom said:

Some map names are inconsistent. Stinking Forest vs. Stinking Woods; Monkey Ruin vs. Monkey Ruins; and the Building Wall is present in some maps but not others. 

Thus why the written word is NEVER adequate to recording history.  It's static, while reality is ever-changing.

• Like 1

Page 385

Example: Damastol wishes to increase the intensity of his
Enhance INT (Fire + Summon) spell, increasing its strength.
He has an INT of 17 and 3 points of spirit magic. As a result,
he can add up to 14 levels of intensity, divided among strength,
range, and duration.

This implies that he doesn't know any sorcery spells, since Free INT is Int minus spirit magic and sorcery spells known. Unless it is explained elsewhere that his sorcery spells do not take up Free INT for some reason.

It seems odd to me that interrupted concentration aborts the spell with no MP cost, but deliberately aborting it costs 1 MP. Surely a sorcerer can just stop concentrating, and thus lose the spell at no cost as though they had been poked in the eye?

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Hi, I am not sure this is a typo but...

p 215 - the Cuirass Turtleshell only costs 15 L (and reiterated on page 216) but has the same AP (4) as Ring Mail which costs 50 L and Light Scale which costs 25 L but has no negative Move Quietly modifier whereas Ring Mail and Light Scale have -5 and -10 respectively .... so why would anyone but anything but Turtleshell? Is the price correct?

• Like 1